5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk from front end right after hitting a puddle at hwy speed

sbcncsu

Reaction score
Title says it all. This morning, I was driving to work in my 2022 Backcountry with 12,800 miles and it had rained hard overnight. I went through two areas of standing water on road at ~55 MPH and had a clunk noise from the front suspension immediately after coming out of the water. I swear I could feel it in the steering wheel each time but it could have just been my subconscious. No other handling issues or noise. The truck is all stock as it came from the factory with the factory off-road group suspension. I didn't see traction control light up but it almost sounded like one pulse of the ABS.

Anyone else ever experienced this type of noise?

Overall, I still love my truck. It does everything I ask of it and is comfortable while doing it!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s very odd. The only thing I could think of is something with the steering rack, unless you hit something in that giant puddle.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't help you much other than suggesting to take it to your dealer and have them check it out for safety reasons. Also crawl underneath it yourself and see if you notice anything that may have come loose or is falling off.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it possible you were hydroplaning on the water then landed/hit on solid surface road?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it possible you were hydroplaning on the water then landed/hit on solid surface road?
This.
Hitting standing water at 55 is asking quite a bit from the tires. Depending on what tire you're running, and how much tread depth you have, I can certainly agree with the hydroplane theory.

Also, were you in 4wd or 4wheel auto (if your trim has this option)? Could have been drive line slack from wheel speed difference front to rear or the xfer case engaging due to detected wheel slip.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
A water puddle damaged your suspension? I don't know. I hit a 4 legged whitetail puddle at about 45 mph. Went right over it like nothing. My suspension is fine. My bumper and grill..... well, they didn't do so well.

sbcncsu

Reaction score
Thanks to all.

I'm liking the hydroplane idea, question is, should the suspension clunk when transitioning from water to pavement? It could be that I'm feeling the change in speed of the wheels after the water slows them down and they have to come back up to speed when hitting pavement.
This.
Hitting standing water at 55 is asking quite a bit from the tires. Depending on what tire you're running, and how much tread depth you have, I can certainly agree with the hydroplane theory.

Also, were you in 4wd or 4wheel auto (if your trim has this option)? Could have been drive line slack from wheel speed difference front to rear or the xfer case engaging due to detected wheel slip.

My truck is 4x4 but I was in 2wd at the time. I have the Auto4wd function and will try that the next time it rains. These two areas of standing water are on my normal travel route. Truck has the factory Falken Wildpeak tires with only 13K miles. They have been rotated twice already. Plenty of tread depth.

We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

I'll have the dealer inspect the front suspension at the next scheduled service. Thankfully, I have no other issues or noises from the suspension or steering and this is likely nothing.

RamCares

Reaction score
Thanks to all.

I'm liking the hydroplane idea, question is, should the suspension clunk when transitioning from water to pavement? It could be that I'm feeling the change in speed of the wheels after the water slows them down and they have to come back up to speed when hitting pavement.

My truck is 4x4 but I was in 2wd at the time. I have the Auto4wd function and will try that the next time it rains. These two areas of standing water are on my normal travel route. Truck has the factory Falken Wildpeak tires with only 13K miles. They have been rotated twice already. Plenty of tread depth.

I'll have the dealer inspect the front suspension at the next scheduled service. Thankfully, I have no other issues or noises from the suspension or steering and this is likely nothing.
Please keep us posted if you run into any issues while your vehicle is down at the dealer. Our team is always here to assist. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Dealer inspect it? 🤣😆🤣 If you drove it there and the wheels are on it the official diagnosis will be "Yes, that is normal."

Users who are viewing this thread