5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clunk and Grind???

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like many here, I've had a clunk in the front end when going over a speed bump with the wheel turned slightly from center. I didn't worry about it too much before because I ordered the SuspensionMaxx sway bar endlinks. I leveled my truck with Bilstein 5100s, added the sway bar endlinks and replaced the UCA with the Mopar leveling kit UCA. I was hopeful that torqueing to specs and making sure everything was tight would address this. It didn't What else should I look for. It shouldn't be the shock topping out when the wheel drops, but anything is possible.

Also, I get a grinding feel in the floor when turning into a drive and the truck flexes. It feels like worn out metal on metal brake dragging, but it only happens when the wheel is slightly turned and I hit a dip or enter an uneven drive. I can replicate it at speed by swerving the wheel side to side. As the front end dips down on one side or the other, the grind/vibration/rubbing is felt in the floor. Is it the Good Year Duratracs (AT tire) with the rough edge and I'm just feeling the edge of the tread vibration?

Any possible things to look for will not only help me, but possibly others. Thanks

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A cheap next solutions I say swap the swaybar bushings with either energy suspension or moogs that also is known to cause the front clunk. Any witness marks on any of the suspension components that indicate rubbing ?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
following, same her only when flex.
I went under it once it feels like its coming from axle. driver side.
originally was thinking it was due to the sway bar touching the cat skid plate I have but a while back I took care of that by trimming the plate but the I still have the issue.
next up might be trying to change the swaybar bushings just in case. There is also TBS # 08-137-21 REV A. that wouldn't be a bad idea to go in for
To fix vibration/ noise when turning at slow speeds

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only here to say I've got the exact same issue(s). Mine is a 2023 Laramie, only 5400 miles on it. I too am leveled with the Bils 5100s on the 2.1" setting. I've got the new sway bar bushings and the Suspension Maxx end links. While I do think they helped, the clunk is still present in mine, but not every time. I'm going back in for an alignment tomorrow in hopes maybe something there is off, but I'm not hopeful it'll fix anything with the clunk.
I did check my drive shafts on both sides up front yesterday and mine do have some play when moving them left and right, causing a clunk sound. But Idk how much play those are supposed to have. If you find a solution, let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread