5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Climate control temp is off

wsutard1

Reaction score
Brand new truck, 500 miles. I have my climate control set to 68 however the truck pumps out massive heat for about 10-15 minutes. Then it seems to kick in and bring the temp to the setting I selected.

I’m talking, “dad why’s it so hot in here” type heat.

Does the truck need time to figure it out? Or is it possible that the dealer service center can calibrate?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you using auto or manual? What is the temp outside? Is the truck warmed up?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
That’s how auto works. It will blow hot air on high till it reaches the desired temp.

Your manual explains how all the climate control settings work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score
That’s how auto works. It will blow hot air on high till it reaches the desired temp.

Your manual explains how all the climate control settings work.

So if I have it auto set to 68 it will purposely bring the cab to 75 before it tries to get it to 68?
This is what is happening.

vincentw56

Reaction score
So if I have it auto set to 68 it will purposely bring the cab to 75 before it tries to get it to 68?
Mine doesn't with that way. I have it set to 72 year round. The only time it is on high is when I remote start. But as soon as I push the start button, it goes back down.

Choate

Reaction score
Not to steal the thread but I’m sure someone will know……..is there a way to “lock in” both sides? Or do you have to adjust each one individually? In other words if it’s set to 75 and I want to take it to 68 is there a way to make both sides go down at once? Pretty sure my dads 2018 Chevy has that option. No big deal. Just wondering

wsutard1

Reaction score
Not to steal the thread but I’m sure someone will know……..is there a way to “lock in” both sides? Or do you have to adjust each one individually? In other words if it’s set to 75 and I want to take it to 68 is there a way to make both sides go down at once? Pretty sure my dads 2018 Chevy has that option. No big deal. Just wondering
Yes, in your settings there is an option to “sync” both sides. I can’t remember where it was. Its not on my normal climate control page. I had to dig deep for it.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Yes it will blow full hot till it gets to the desired temp then level off. If you don’t want it to do that you can take it off auto

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Brand new truck, 500 miles. I have my climate control set to 68 however the truck pumps out massive heat for about 10-15 minutes. Then it seems to kick in and bring the temp to the setting I selected.

I’m talking, “dad why’s it so hot in here” type heat.

Does the truck need time to figure it out? Or is it possible that the dealer service center can calibrate?
My truck does the same thing after it's been sitting outside and it's cold soaked when using the auto temp mode. I just select the temperature manually until it gets warm in the cab, then go back to auto. I figure the temp sensor in the cab is cold soaked and it takes a while for it to get up to room temp. If I use auto mode when my truck has been parked in my heated garage, it behaves normally and just warms my truck to the desired setting.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There should be a sync option. On my 12" display, when I adjust the drivers side, there is an option to sync at bottom of the temp slider on display

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine doesn't with that way. I have it set to 72 year round. The only time it is on high is when I remote start. But as soon as I push the start button, it goes back down.

Mine is the same way. If it’s in auto. Always is. Its only blasting some times on remote start. Hit the switch. And it’s right back down. I set my truck to 68-70. And have to wear a shirt. Jacket has to come off. Truck to me runs hot on the inside even at 70. If I jump in cold. It’s still not blasting heat. But gets comfortable heat wise very fast.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My HVAC will overshoot till the internal temp. sensor is happy. If the aspirator motor has a problem then I see how it could take longer for the temperature to "stabilize"
You could do a quick test to make sure the motor is in working order.

aspirator motor test.jpg

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
My 2017 was flawless. I set it at 72F year round and it did what it was supposed to.
My 2019 setpoint has to be around 76 to achieve the same comfort level and is really slow to react to changes. I'll usually have to make a temperature setpoint change to force it to start compensating to cabin temps.
If i had to guess, it has to see a differential of +/- 5-7 deg before it reacts where the 2017 was always maintaining within 1-2 deg.

Swampy86

Reaction score
Mine is absolutely horrendous. I’m actually considering getting rid of the truck because the climate control is so bad. On a 55-60 degree day if it’s left on auto and any temperature above low it will blast heat that feels like it’s coming straight from hell until the interior is so hot it’s unbearable. Around 15 minutes later or so it will calm down but nobody in my family can wait that long because we all feel like we’re going to catch on fire before it settles in.

The only way to avoid this is to either set the temp to low or control the fan speed manually. I’ve owned a Chevy truck, Hyundai SUV, and a Honda all with automatic dual zone climate control and those have all worked flawlessly. Unfortunately I purchased my Ram in August so this issue took several months to show up. Much like the OP I’ve been wondering if my truck is defective or if they’re all this way.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I'm in the "only blasts on remote start" group. Otherwise it stays at 68 in the winter and works fine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is absolutely horrendous. I’m actually considering getting rid of the truck because the climate control is so bad. On a 55-60 degree day if it’s left on auto and any temperature above low it will blast heat that feels like it’s coming straight from hell until the interior is so hot it’s unbearable. Around 15 minutes later or so it will calm down but nobody in my family can wait that long because we all feel like we’re going to catch on fire before it settles in.

The only way to avoid this is to either set the temp to low or control the fan speed manually. I’ve owned a Chevy truck, Hyundai SUV, and a Honda all with automatic dual zone climate control and those have all worked flawlessly. Unfortunately I purchased my Ram in August so this issue took several months to show up. Much like the OP I’ve been wondering if my truck is defective or if they’re all this way.

Sounds like a trip to dealer is in order. That is not normal. I rarely use anything except auto. When truck is cold it barely blows air until the coolant warms up, then it slowly ramps up until it hits the set temp. I keep mine at 71 degrees year round

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine sucks too.. if I set it at 70F the cab will be anywhere from 60F to almost 80F.. it'll be hot as hell and blowing heat out.. if I drop it acouple degrees, it's like it wakes up and starts blasting us with cold air.. then the temp swings to the other extreme..

wsutard1

Reaction score
Has anyone taken theirs to a service center for successful resolution? I want to make sure I explicitly tell them how to fix. Trying to avoid the “can’t replicate” waste of my time.

Swampy86

Reaction score
Has anyone taken theirs to a service center for successful resolution? I want to make sure I explicitly tell them how to fix. Trying to avoid the “can’t replicate” waste of my time.

I was fed up with mine (see my post above) and somehow it was magically fixed during my trucks stay at the dealer last week for an unrelated battery issue.

I took it in because twice in the past year I’ve had a dead battery, and twice they’ve told me nothing was wrong. Well last week it happened again and thankfully it stored two codes, an emissions code (P0456), and one for a module in the PCM not initializing correctly.

The dealer replaced my battery, reprogrammed the PCM, and now the climate control works flawlessly. I don’t know if maybe there was a software update done that the dealer didn’t note on the invoice, because I can’t imagine either of those actions would have an effect on the climate control. However, I’ve been driving the truck for three days with the system set to 68 degrees in auto and it’s been absolutely perfect. Not once have I thought about the temperature in the cab, which is the whole point of having climate control.

I don’t know if any of this is really helpful, but I would take the truck in and have it looked at because it can be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread