5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clicking sound with brake pedal

airgas1998

Reaction score
so does everybody have the clicking relay like sound whenever you press the pedal. i know it's normal to have this but it just seems a little more obtrusive compared to my other vehicles. iow, i can easily here it unless i turn up the radio a bit. it just seems overly active and sometimes ill even hear a few double clicks sometimes. if everybody says yep mine does it as well i'll leave it alone. i can see the dealership telling me up relay and not even looking at it. i have a limited with the adj pedals..

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so does everybody have the clicking relay like sound whenever you press the pedal. i know it's normal to have this but it just seems a little more obtrusive compared to my other vehicles. iow, i can easily here it unless i turn up the radio a bit. it just seems overly active and sometimes ill even hear a few double clicks sometimes. if everybody says yep mine does it as well i'll leave it alone. i can see the dealership telling me up relay and not even looking at it. i have a limited with the adj pedals..
I have the same sound. I'm sure it's normal, it is loud though.

Groobyy

Reaction score
I think its normal. Mine does that too. Its a relay for brake light and every time you press the brake pedal it unlocks the shift knob. Test it on park youll see. Its kind of loud that’s true. But normal for me

dallas

Reaction score
While this might be normal- it's not by design. It's not the relay or a solenoid used to shift out of park.

The noise is the metal plunger rod from the pedals pressing against a plastic cup that's designed to be a wear item and to take up any slack in the adjustable pedals mechanism. During assembly they should have put some silicon grease on both sides of the cup.

My truck made this noise and I fixed it by removing the brake pedal assembly by releasing the white plastic tabs and pulling the pedal away. This will take the plunger rod with it, and there will be a white cup about the size of a nickel on either the rod, or the inside of the brake booster assembly. Remove this cup, and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease on both sides of the cup and reassemble. The noise will be gone after this 5 minute fix.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While this might be normal- it's not by design. It's not the relay or a solenoid used to shift out of park.

The noise is the metal plunger rod from the pedals pressing against a plastic cup that's designed to be a wear item and to take up any slack in the adjustable pedals mechanism. During assembly they should have put some silicon grease on both sides of the cup.

My truck made this noise and I fixed it by removing the brake pedal assembly by releasing the white plastic tabs and pulling the pedal away. This will take the plunger rod with it, and there will be a white cup about the size of a nickel on either the rod, or the inside of the brake booster assembly. Remove this cup, and apply a thin layer of dielectric grease on both sides of the cup and reassemble. The noise will be gone after this 5 minute fix.
Can you provide any photos? I'd like to fix mine as well. It is rather annoying.

robe2388

Reaction score
Took mine to the dealer, and it’s normal for them. Annoying for sure.

Spoiledone

Reaction score
On my 2017 it did this and it was a problem with the brake booster that was fixed under warranty. I have not heard this click on my 2019

dallas

Reaction score
Can you provide any photos? I'd like to fix mine as well. It is rather annoying.

I can try later in the week. If anyone has access to the service manual and can attach a diagram of the adjustable pedal mechanism I can help visually describe the process.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I see that white tab at the rear of the brake pedal...do you pull down on tab or up to release?

dallas

Reaction score
I see that white tab at the rear of the brake pedal...do you pull down on tab or up to release?
I can't remember- I think you push in on the tab and pull back on the brake pedal assembly and it should pivot from the top. From there you should see a metal rod (plunger) attached to this- at the end of the plunger or in the cavity the plunger seats you should see an off-white isolator/bushing/cup about the size of a nickel. Mine fell to the floor. Anyway, take this off and apply a thicker grease to both sides and reassemble. Be careful you snap the white tab back together properly as this directly affects your truck's ability to stop!

I used this, because it's what I had on hand: CRC Dielectric Grease

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Here you go fellas:

Attachments

• 05 - Brakes:05 - Brakes, Base:Hydraulic:Mechanical:PEDAL(S), Brake and:or Accelerator:Removal ...pdf
    257.2 KB · Views: 235

dallas

Reaction score
Here you go fellas:

Thanks @Neurobit! To fix this, just go to page 2 and follow along steps 6 and 7. The grease needs to be applied to the "dome" part. I did not need to take out the "brake booster pushrod retainer"- it stayed with the pedal assembly.

airgas1998

Reaction score
update....followed the postings by dallas to fix this issue and sure enough it is gone nada silent...my disc fell right out to the ground with not a trace of lube on it. i will state i for some reason had a hell of time getting the retainer out free from the push rod, but eventually did. i had a oh **** moment during this crisis period, but stayed at it and it finally gave in. i'm a fat **** so the skinner you are the more flexibility and ease you'll probably have at this. anyway silent as a mouse, so if any of you guys hear a clicking(relay like) sound this will solve it..

dallas

Reaction score
@airgas1998 - Glad this was able to help you! I'm fairly skinny so this was a 5 minute job for me and most of that time was spent trying to find the appropriate grease in my messy garage!

I kinda wonder why the grease stops the noise and how long it will last. If it made a relay clicking sound before with the plastic dome isolating the metal parts you'd think it wouldn't make any metal contact noise. It's also a little concerning that a cheap piece of plastic (the retainer clip) is all that holds the pedal rod into the brake booster. When that gets brittle and cracks, what's going to happen?

pgrant3491

Reaction score
I also experience the clicking noise every time I press and depress the brake pedal. Also, when coming to a very gentle stop, the entire truck shakes from maybe 3mph until stopped. The brake pedal feels smooth, but the entire truck shaking almost every time is far from smooth. I am not sure if these are correlated. I have an appt at the dealer in a couple weeks. Anybody else experience this?

airgas1998

Reaction score
I also experience the clicking noise every time I press and depress the brake pedal. Also, when coming to a very gentle stop, the entire truck shakes from maybe 3mph until stopped. The brake pedal feels smooth, but the entire truck shaking almost every time is far from smooth. I am not sure if these are correlated. I have an appt at the dealer in a couple weeks. Anybody else experience this?
I don't have any shake...just wanted to say be firm with the dealer if you're going to ask about the clicking issue. they'll try to tell you its just the brake light relay or something along those lines. imo I think many have this clicking noise do to how the retainer/cup/push rod is assembled/mfgd. i'm ocd and can easily hear this and no it's not right. my wife didn't have a clue, and thought all was good.

19ramsport

Reaction score
The clicking seems to be something else on the pedal assembly instead of that plastic dome? Because when I took out the plastic dome to grease it, I pushed on the pedal and still heard the clicking noise with the plastic dome out and white pushrod retainer disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread