5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear Film or ceramic coat?

njt07

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting either clear film for the front and/or the ceramic coat for the whole thing. they both look to be about the same in price (a LOT), but the ceramic coat comes with paint correction while the film supposedly doesn't need it.

I am also looking at getting the UV tint/ceramic coat an all the glass to reduce the heat from the Texas sun. Ive never done any of this stuff for my previous vehicles, but since this is my "retirement" vehicle i want it to stay looking nice.

Any Pros or cons for either?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ceramic coating and PPF are two different things. What is your reason for one or the other? If you are looking for protection against rock chips, then get the PPF. If you want to make it easier to wash your truck, get the ceramic coat. Ceramic does nothing to protect against rock chips.

Personally I haven't been too impressed with ceramic coat I've had applied on a couple of past vehicles. I'd opt for PPF, but we get a lot of gravel in the winter where I live.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I had PPF applied to the front bumper just to protect rock chips. The rest of it I just keep protected and looking good with Seal-N-Shine.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PPF > Ceramic coating unless you can afford both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I had PPF put on the upper bumper, the area between the chrome bumper and the headlights. Also had it applied to the door cups to keep those with long finger nails from scratching it every time they open the door. That said if you want to protect your paint and prevent rock chips then get the PPF.

njt07

Reaction score
Went over to a highly recommended place and spoke/negotiated a bit. the guy said he would do for $2k:

- PPF on the entire front (not the hood) and side mirrors
- Paint correct and ceramic the rest of the body
- Ceramic film (?) all the glass.

Its a good chunk of cash but for the ceramic is guaranteed for 5 years, and the film(s) are supposedly guaranteed up to 10 years. According to my wife if I were to spend $300 a year for then id spend at least $1,500 over 5 years, so I should just do it and then get a power washer and wash it myself.

Is this a decent/good deal? it seems like a good deal.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should ceramic coat the PPF as well, it's porous and will get damage with hard water spots. Just PPF the front and ceramic coating the rest can't be that much cheaper than ceramic coating everything as well.

Ceramic coating isn't hard to do, but you should have a clean surface (paint correction optional) and you need to be thorough with your removal process, it can be a pain to remove any high spots you left behind and a total pain should you miss wiping an area at all. Attention to detail is important with ceramic coatings. There are some great video on YouTube on the process itself.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why spend $2k for only 5 years? or even 10 years? For the amount of damage you may get in that time, you can spend less and get just the front end repainted, if needed.

I had a 2006 Silverado that I took very good care of. It did have a few stone chips after 160k miles, but only the top of the bumper area needed it. That area is no where close to $2k in repaint work. The same can be said for the Ram front end.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Why spend $2k for only 5 years? or even 10 years? For the amount of damage you may get in that time, you can spend less and get just the front end repainted, if needed.

I had a 2006 Silverado that I took very good care of. It did have a few stone chips after 160k miles, but only the top of the bumper area needed it. That area is no where close to $2k in repaint work. The same can be said for the Ram front end.
The paint on the ram is much thinner than your silverado that was painted 14 years ago.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, that isn't accurate. The 2006 Silverado averaged around 5.5-6 mils. That is what the industry standard is today, between 5.5-7. Unfortunately, I think the manufacturers use the average to get away with having some areas with around 4 mils, but the average paint thickness is the same.

njt07

Reaction score
Regarding the windshield, specifically the 2021 windshield, has anyone tinted the windshield that has the tech package? One shop is saying the components can be damaged and is quoting $1700 just for the windshield.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of us don’t enjoy looking at those rock chips while we wait for enough damage to warrant having it repainted... you spent enough on a truck might as well spend a bit more and keep it looking good for as long as you own it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding the windshield, specifically the 2021 windshield, has anyone tinted the windshield that has the tech package? One shop is saying the components can be damaged and is quoting $1700 just for the windshield.

That’s a bs we don’t want to do it price.. nothing else. Figured if they quote it high as hell you’ll change your mind without them saying no we don’t wanna do it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned, each does something different. You will never need to PPF the entire truck, unless you are going to otherwise beat the crap out of the paint (off-roading, poor washing technique or brush auto washes) and want to keep it nice. I'd at least PPF the front bumper (if painted) and the quarter panel/fender flare in front of the rear wheel (takes a sandblast style beating from front tire debris). Ceramic is a luxury purchase... It makes the paint easier to clean and adds a depth of shine. But if you have the time and desire, you can pay next to nothing for a bottle of high quality ceramic infused paint sealants and apply it yourself every few months after a good hand wash. Same effect, constant fresh coat each time you apply it, minimal cost... I applied TheLastCoat v2 to my truck 6 months ago and it's still working great. Pro ceramics are more durable and consequently more difficult to apply, and have consequences if you don't apply them correctly. And they don't exactly last "5 years" or whatever BS they're touting. They all need maintenance AKA top-ups to fill in molecules where the coating has failed. Unless you're rich and lazy, you're better off spending your time and much fewer dollars using your own stuff as often as you'd like/need to.

Good grief that sounds like a total scam. I'd find a shop that knows what they're talking about. Yes, it's possible some damage can occur if liquid seeps down in a bad spot below the dash and destroys electronics. But there are ways to prevent it which any careful installer should adhere to (for starters, a soak rope that gets shoved between the glass and dash). Windshield tint shouldn't cost any more than $200 (and that's on the high end).

njt07

Reaction score
As mentioned, each does something different. You will never need to PPF the entire truck, unless you are going to otherwise beat the crap out of the paint (off-roading, poor washing technique or brush auto washes) and want to keep it nice. I'd at least PPF the front bumper (if painted) and the quarter panel/fender flare in front of the rear wheel (takes a sandblast style beating from front tire debris). Ceramic is a luxury purchase... It makes the paint easier to clean and adds a depth of shine. But if you have the time and desire, you can pay next to nothing for a bottle of high quality ceramic infused paint sealants and apply it yourself every few months after a good hand wash. Same effect, constant fresh coat each time you apply it, minimal cost... I applied TheLastCoat v2 to my truck 6 months ago and it's still working great. Pro ceramics are more durable and consequently more difficult to apply, and have consequences if you don't apply them correctly. And they don't exactly last "5 years" or whatever BS they're touting. They all need maintenance AKA top-ups to fill in molecules where the coating has failed. Unless you're rich and lazy, you're better off spending your time and much fewer dollars using your own stuff as often as you'd like/need to.

Good grief that sounds like a total scam. I'd find a shop that knows what they're talking about. Yes, it's possible some damage can occur if liquid seeps down in a bad spot below the dash and destroys electronics. But there are ways to prevent it which any careful installer should adhere to (for starters, a soak rope that gets shoved between the glass and dash). Windshield tint shouldn't cost any more than $200 (and that's on the high end).
Appreciate it. Ive never tinted or applied film to any of my vehicles and its something I have been wanting to do to maintain the paint, reduce the interior heat (in Texas) and protect the front (and I guess the rear wheel fender flare, thanks for that) from road debris.

Also not gonna spend the $6k the same windshield guy quoted me to use his exclusive film (ppf) to do the whole truck. I must've said something to make him think I’m rich or something lol.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My $.2 PPF the entire truck is unnecessary. The front end is really what needs to be covered.

My previous 4th gen Ram I had partial hood, partial fender, grill, bumper, mirror caps done and it held up amazing no noticeable rock chips in those areas but I wish I would of had the roof cap (above the windshield) and A pillars done since there was noticeable chips there.

New truck had all of the above done including the roof cap and A pillars this time around. Cost roughly $1600 for Xpel. Different shop did it this time around, guy was dealing with higher quality cars and his work is what sold me. It was more expensive then the previous truck but I was also not 100 % happy with the previous install either so I didn’t mind paying a bit more.

$2k sounds good for both but I would double check the product and shop that’s doing the work.

nburd

Reaction score
I just got my 3M PPF kit from EBay. Installing soon in a warm garage with my sons to help. It was $268 for the whole front bumper, lights, grille, hood and area below the lights as a kit. I have done it before and am looking forward to the challenge of the bumper. The lowest quote I got From a shop was $1000. If it goes well, I will get the lower body kit to protect from road rash. I also agree with the Seal n Shine. Great product.

Finally, I am going to make a template of the bumper film before I remove it to install so I can duplicate it if I screw it up. The headlights will be first as they seem the easiest.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Mine is coated and has PPF on the front painted surfaces, A-pillar, and a partial on the hood.

Attachments

• h - Copy.jpg
    h - Copy.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200321_081158.jpg
    20200321_081158.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 32

Users who are viewing this thread