5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleanup after hitting the trails

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As the title suggest, I’m interested on the best way to clean the trucks after getting dirty. I don’t have any type of undercoating...maybe it’s something I need to do after a deep cleaning.

As much as I like getting dirty, I also love having a clean truck. For me it would like Saturday morning/afternoon trails, Sunday meet and greet with groups I’m with.

I could list products to use to clean it up (chemical guys is my fav), but I’m interested in the cleanup process after getting dirty.

My personal process of cleaning my truck is similar to what I do to my Charger. Please let me know if I’m missing anything, or I can do better on the cleaning aspect.

Exterior:
Power wash (using pressure washer) rinse, foam cannon, rinse again (foam cannon and soap of your choosing does remove debris), wash, finally drying with leaf blower for the big water spots.

Underneath:
This is where I’m stuck. I Amazon’ed an undercarriage adapter for my pressure washer, and it does a good job, but is there anything else I should use...like maybe a degreaser or just regular car soap.

Engine bay:
There is little to no protection on mud/sand splashing and it gets all the way to the top of the engine bay. I could use a degreaser here as well, but every time? Wish there was a cover underneath to protect the engine bay. Also, any electrical worries, because some of the wiring components... pcm is just sitting there waiting to get splashed on.

Rear well:
Pretty much just need to get in there with a brush. I’m lucky to have some type of protectant on the rear tires, but what about those that don’t?

Undercarriage Area just under the seats (basically under the side steps if you have them):
Seems like it’s a popular place for buildup, especially from the front tires (if you don’t have mud flaps). It’s a hard to get area with just a power washer, but my undercarriage sprayer can get there.

Hard to reach areas:
Behind the bumpers, bottom of the tailgate, tires can be difficult, with mud, and spare tire area...Andy suggestions would be great.

Happy off-roading.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For underneath go grab one of the old school beam sprinklers for a lawn... yea the one that goes back and forth.... hook it up and turn it on under the truck... just let it run awhile and move it around... you’d be surprised how well it works.
There is so much genius here...

I wish I had thought of this last summer after driving thru 100 yards of two foot deep sea water. The next morning I went under the truck with my hose and by the time I was done I everything under the truck was on me... sea weed, straw, dead green crabs...

saylor

Reaction score
inside the bumper, like on the inside lip I usually get a couple of pounds of mud out of there take the hose and run it thru the bumper

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought you were showing us how after a trail ride you gathered up some litter. We do this quite often. Nothing more annoying than being in the middle of nature and seeing someone's candy wrapper or can they couldnt hold onto til they got to a trash can.

Clean truck is so overrated 😆

Good information here though. Thanks for the life hacks.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Exterior: I follow a similar process. The more debris you can remove before hand washing, the better. Wash in horizontal strokes in one direction the way the wind would sweep your truck - if that makes sense. Might want to try a high quality microfiber towel specifically designed for drying for use after hitting with the leaf blower (check out The Rag Company or Grant's Drying Towel - cheaper option available at Harbor Freight). Maintaining your paint with a high quality product will make washing and drying easier. Ceramic coating, high quality waxes, or high quality ceramic sprays are all decent options depending on what you want to spend. I ceramic coated my truck myself and use The Last Coat or Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray as a topper to maintain.

Underneath: I don't have any magic solutions for this - it just takes time and willingness to get yourself soaked if you want to do a thorough job. Sounds like you are on the right track with the undercarriage washer. Might want to spray down with all purpose cleaner to help with the process. Sprinkler isn't a bad idea - I haven't personally tried it, but they just aren't high pressure like a pressure washer.

Engine Bay: I would not suggest pressure washing every time, but every now and then is ok. There will be lots of opinions on this, but I've detailed in the past both professionally and as a hobby and you shouldn't have an issue if you use some common sense around electrical components, intake, etc. And you shouldn't need to use degreaser every time you do wash the engine bay. When you do wash, try a little all purpose cleaner and some brushes - I like to use an old paint brush or there are lots of options as far as detail brushes go. After the engine bay is dry, wipe down with some 303 - will make the plastic and rubber surfaces look factory fresh, maybe even better!

Rear wells: Invest in some wheel well liners! Otherwise, just gotta get in there and flush out with water. I keep an old wash mitt around for fender wells and muddy wheels.

Hard to reach areas: Turn off the pressure washer, and just use the hose with a simple trigger nozzle. Can use your "old" wash mitt for this too. Again, all purpose cleaner can help the process along.

I'm not sure where you are located or how you feel about oil based undercoatings, but I live in the salt belt. I had my truck professionally sprayed with Krown and then I maintain annually myself with Fluid Film. Helps prevent rust from salt, but also helps keep mud from adhering to the undercarriage.

oh... and cracking a icy cold one helps make the entire process more enjoyable as well!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just recalled something from a different application but seems relevant. Be careful with pressure washers under your truck. You may inadvertently force water, dirt and salt into areas you don't want it and under normal conditions would never have it.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
There is so much genius here...

I wish I had thought of this last summer after driving thru 100 yards of two foot deep sea water. The next morning I went under the truck with my hose and by the time I was done I everything under the truck was on me... sea weed, straw, dead green crabs...
Had a rubicon back in the day, used to go missing a lot... learned quick how to clean the bottom lol

Code2medic

Reaction score
As the title suggest, I’m interested on the best way to clean the trucks after getting dirty. I don’t have any type of undercoating...maybe it’s something I need to do after a deep cleaning.

As much as I like getting dirty, I also love having a clean truck. For me it would like Saturday morning/afternoon trails, Sunday meet and greet with groups I’m with.

I could list products to use to clean it up (chemical guys is my fav), but I’m interested in the cleanup process after getting dirty.

My personal process of cleaning my truck is similar to what I do to my Charger. Please let me know if I’m missing anything, or I can do better on the cleaning aspect.

Exterior:
Power wash (using pressure washer) rinse, foam cannon, rinse again (foam cannon and soap of your choosing does remove debris), wash, finally drying with leaf blower for the big water spots.

Underneath:
This is where I’m stuck. I Amazon’ed an undercarriage adapter for my pressure washer, and it does a good job, but is there anything else I should use...like maybe a degreaser or just regular car soap.

Engine bay:
There is little to no protection on mud/sand splashing and it gets all the way to the top of the engine bay. I could use a degreaser here as well, but every time? Wish there was a cover underneath to protect the engine bay. Also, any electrical worries, because some of the wiring components... pcm is just sitting there waiting to get splashed on.

Rear well:
Pretty much just need to get in there with a brush. I’m lucky to have some type of protectant on the rear tires, but what about those that don’t?

Undercarriage Area just under the seats (basically under the side steps if you have them):
Seems like it’s a popular place for buildup, especially from the front tires (if you don’t have mud flaps). It’s a hard to get area with just a power washer, but my undercarriage sprayer can get there.

Hard to reach areas:
Behind the bumpers, bottom of the tailgate, tires can be difficult, with mud, and spare tire area...Andy suggestions would be great.

Happy off-roading.

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Honestly if you’re missing that much I hate to say it but the paint is going to look like crap from all the rocks dings sticks and what ever else is in there not to mention the swirls and star every is sitting in the mud.... let’s not for get when it dries in the radiator and after awhile over heats the truck

personally if that’s your thing cool I have no place to speak but if it were me the truck is met for hulling not mudding id buy a beater for the mudding heck I have Ben pondering on buying a Sherpa for off roading fishing etc....

marin

Reaction score
Here is what I do when I get back from a trip.

Exterior:
Step 1: I first hit everything with a 20 degree tip on the pressure washer with water to remove the first layer.
Step 2: Then hit it with the foam cannon (Do not recall where I got this).
Step 3: Once there are suds everywhere, use a microfiber mitt to wash.
Step 4: Wheels and Wells I use 50/50 Simple Green for wheels and Greased Lightning for wells and a soft brush/sponge. If there is tar anywhere, then Rapid Remover and plastic scraper does the trick.
Step 5: I then rinse with the pressure washer again.
Step 6: I use The Absorber and an air gun to wipe everything dry (https://www.amazon.com/CleanTools-1...d=1&keywords=car+drying&qid=1618520127&sr=8-6) and (https://www.harborfreight.com/pistol-grip-blow-gun-63568.html).
Step 7: Clean glass with Sprayway Glass Cleaner and Honeycomb micro fiber.

Occasional:
-I do use the attachment from Amazon for under the truck but I do that once every few months. Here is the kit I got (https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Star-Pressure-Undercarriage-Extension/dp/B0863M94CC).

Interior:
Step 1: Remove everything from doors, glovebox, console, under rear seat, etc. and use blow gun to remove first layer of dust
Step 2: Spray Simple Green diluted and wipe door jambs/sill/hinge/etc.
Step 3: Vacuum carpet, use this brush with the vacuum for dog hair (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Bar-Style-Scrub-Brush/52433335)
Step 4: To wipe all plastic, rubber, vinyl, leather, door cards and dash I use Mothers VLR and a microfiber towel. Every 6 months or so I use diluted Lexol leather cleaner with a magic eraser to clean the leather and then condition with Lexol conditioner, this works great on a light interior, including plastics, like my wife's car.
Step 5: Clean vents with a brush and air
Step 6: Wipe windows with Sprayway Glass Cleaner and Honeycomb micro fiber. Also use air to clean the dust from the window seals, do not want scratches on window and tint.
Step 7: Wash all weather mats.

Engine:
Step 1: Air gun to blow away first layer.
Step 2: Use a stiffer paint brush to loosen and blow away dust and dirt.
Step 3: Cover important bits with plastic wrap and light spray with Greased Lightning and use a brush as needed. I do this step only once a year max, it really does not need it frequently as long as you maintain.
Step 4: Remove plastic, use air gun to remove water, start engine to evaporate remaining water.
Step 5: Use Simple Green and microfiber to clean around the engine bay.
Step 6: Use Mothers VLR on plastics and rubber.

I completed all of these steps yesterday for Interior/Exterior cleanup and it took about 4 hours. My steps and products work in a South West warm climate, salt and mud are different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online