5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning behind the Taillights

JakeHagg25

Reaction score
So recently I had a mild adventure onto a muddy field and threw some mud around. This was about 3 weeks ago, recently I noticed a piece of debris hanging down from a hole in between two pieces of sheet metal so I used my pressure washer and shot some water in there, but it never stopped raining down muddy water whenever I would stop spraying for a second. So I decided to dig a little deeper and see if I couldnt find a better way to clean it out.

The first picture is of where this hole is located , its just behind the rear wheels on both sides.
second pic.jpg

Here you can see a better look at the hole and where to find it.
third pic (1).jpg

Here is what prompted me to take the tail lights off, I realized that after I was spraying water into the hole, mud and dirty water was seeping out from underneath the taillight and the bed.
first pic.jpg

Here is a look behind the taillight directly after I took it off, not pictured are some of the areas where some debris and mud got stuck on pieces of the sheet metal and I could only imagine that It would rust out eventually if untouched.
forth pic.jpg

A little side note, I dont have the rear fender liners so this problem might not be as prevalent for some people. Just look out for it and check every once in a while.

Attachments

• second pic.jpg
    second pic.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 87
  • third pic (1).jpg
    third pic (1).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 90
  • first pic.jpg
    first pic.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 98
  • forth pic.jpg
    forth pic.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 98

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just thought about this again and noticed that you do not have mud flaps. Would this have minimized the situation?

Zebber

Reaction score
That is the exact reason the wheel well liners were one of the first things I put on my Rebel and the 09 I traded for the Rebel. Ans I hate seeing the frame through the wheel wells. They will keep a lot of the under side cleaner.

JakeHagg25

Reaction score
That is the exact reason the wheel well liners were one of the first things I put on my Rebel and the 09 I traded for the Rebel. Ans I hate seeing the frame through the wheel wells. They will keep a lot of the under side cleaner.
The fact I had to do this very much so increased the priority of mud flaps and wheel liners on my list of things to do.

Zebber

Reaction score
Although I would think Ram would include them as standard , especially on an off road package truck like the Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread