5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome scratches

lawlavigne

Reaction score
What are you guys using to get scratches out of your chrome and headlights? I got some mother's polish and tried it and it did absolutely nothing to the scratches.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For chrome if it’s actual metal and not plastic you can use metal polish, jewelers rouge or some 000 steel wool. Be careful though because technique is important. I’m sure you can find some vids on YouTube going over it.

what types of problems are you having with the headlights? Actual scratches? Deep?

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Don't use anything too aggressive on the chrome bumpers, as the plating is VERY thin. I used chrome polish on the front bumper on a 2013 Bighorn that I had; a few light rubs with a soft cloth, and I was down to the copper plating! Fortunately, that truck was a buy back, so I didn't have to live with the aftermath of a blemish on the bumper.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
For chrome if it’s actual metal and not plastic you can use metal polish, jewelers rouge or some 000 steel wool. Be careful though because technique is important. I’m sure you can find some vids on YouTube going over it.

what types of problems are you having with the headlights? Actual scratches? Deep?
Unfortunately theres light scratches on the plastic chrome grill and chrome bumper due to using too harsh of a sponge. Same with the headlights. Not very deep. I'm sure the plastic chrome is impossible to fix without replacing. I ordered some autosol metal polish that had good reviews. Not sure what to do about headlights

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea nothing you can do with scratched plastic chrome, the headlights you could polish but they come with a clear coating from the factory and once you polish through that coating the lights will turn yellow pretty fast as they plastic is no longer sealed.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly like @Biga said regarding the headlights. Whenever you “polish” any material, you are almost always removing material. It just depends on how abrasive you get. You can go as light as a polishing cloth, all the way up to coarse grit sandpaper. Sometimes you can go in the other direction for deep scratches that aren’t easily smoothed/polished by “adding material” as in the case of bondo for body damage. In the case of you headlight you can either polish it and then reseal it with a clear coat or possibly look into plastic filler. Personally, if it wasn’t really bad I would try to forget it’s there.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Exactly like @Biga said regarding the headlights. Whenever you “polish” any material, you are almost always removing material. It just depends on how abrasive you get. You can go as light as a polishing cloth, all the way up to coarse grit sandpaper. Sometimes you can go in the other direction for deep scratches that aren’t easily smoothed/polished by “adding material” as in the case of bondo for body damage. In the case of you headlight you can either polish it and then reseal it with a clear coat or possibly look into plastic filler. Personally, if it wasn’t really bad I would try to forget it’s there.
Honestly I could probably forget about all of it but I know it's there and that's the hard part for me lol

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you guys using to get scratches out of your chrome and headlights? I got some mother's polish and tried it and it did absolutely nothing to the scratches.
So did y'all scratch the chrome trying to get your bugs off?

Chrome cannot be polished like aluminum or any raw metal. The only way to get a scratch out of chrome is to strip it and rechrome it. That's expensive so go to a recycler / junk yard and pick up an undamaged bumper or buy a new one.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
So did y'all scratch the chrome trying to get your bugs off?

Chrome cannot be polished like aluminum or any raw metal. The only way to get a scratch out of chrome is to strip it and rechrome it. That's expensive so go to a recycler / junk yard and pick up an undamaged bumper or buy a new one.
Yes that what happened. I'm just going to try and forget about it

Users who are viewing this thread