5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome Corroding After 4 months

ders0

Reaction score
Now that it's finally consistently above freezing in MN - I did my first hand wash of my truck this weekend.

And Lo and Behold there is a spot on the back bumper where the chrome is already corroding. I washed the truck consistently throughout the winter and have only had it 4 months, so I'm surprised this is already happening.

Does anyone know if this type of thing is covered on warranty?

Or does anyone have any tips on how to remove the corrosion? I know there are a lot of chrome polish products out there so if there are any recommendations, I'd take them.

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 163

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Now that it's finally consistently above freezing in MN - I did my first hand wash of my truck this weekend.

And Lo and Behold there is a spot on the back bumper where the chrome is already corroding. I washed the truck consistently throughout the winter and have only had it 4 months, so I'm surprised this is already happening.

Or does anyone have any tips on how to remove the corrosion? I know there are a lot of chrome polish products out there so if there are any recommendations, I'd take them.

Polishing removes material to create a smoother surface / get rid of surface imperfections. If it is rusting like that, it is probably deeper than the surface, and the plating in that area has already failed or was improperly done, which polishing probably will not fix. You should speak with your local RAM dealer about getting the bumper replaced under warranty. If not covered by the 3/36, that should be covered by the corrosion warranty I would imagine.

ders0

Reaction score
Polishing removes material to create a smoother surface / get rid of surface imperfections. If it is rusting like that, it is probably deeper than the surface, and the plating in that area has already failed or was improperly done, which polishing probably will not fix. You should speak with your local RAM dealer about getting the bumper replaced under warranty. If not covered by the 3/36, that should be covered by the corrosion warranty I would imagine.

Thanks. I reached out to the dealer. Sounds like I have to bring the truck in and have them take pictures/analyze it and then they'll have to submit the claim to Mopar.

We'll see what happens.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it widespread by any means but others have had this. Also rust on some of the tailgate hinge bolts. I'm hoping this is (was) just a short-lived supplier/materials problem.

Anyways, yeah see if FCA will give you a new bumper. I personally wouldn't be heartbroken on my own truck and I'd probably just hit it with some 0000 steel wool to remove the rust and then some clear rust neutralizer to keep it from coming back. Done. Next.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I reached out to the dealer. Sounds like I have to bring the truck in and have them take pictures/analyze it and then they'll have to submit the claim to Mopar.

We'll see what happens.
Some dealers will accept an emailed picture to save you the trip. Mine did when i had moisture in the headlight

ders0

Reaction score
Some dealers will accept an emailed picture to save you the trip. Mine did when i had moisture in the headlight

I sent them pictures in the original email, but unfortunately they said they need me to bring it in. It's OK though as it gives me a chance to have them look at the RamBox that didn't function at delivery again as it's still not latching properly.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That's garbage. That's one reason I like painted bumpers (I also like how they look). I know (firsthand) that the painted bumpers are susceptible to chips, but at least they can be touched up or even repainted. But there's absolutely no way the chrome should be rusting out in 4 months. Terrible. I would be pissed.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
My 2017 was doing that too, only it seemed to be isolated to only being around holes in the bumper, like the parking sensors for instance. I however traded that in before they got very bad so I never looked into solutions.

Joshs19sport

Reaction score

Could be a bonded contaminate like rail dust or fallout that has bonded on top of the chrome, you should buy some carpro ironx or something similar and spray it on it will dissolve the rust when you spray it on it attacks and turns purple, you should probably spray the rest on the truck because there is probably more spots that you just haven't noticed yet. Im in canada i do this every spring as a part of my spring cleaning process

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
A local guy had his chrome flake off on his front bumper and it was covered under warranty.

ders0

Reaction score
Could be a bonded contaminate like rail dust or fallout that has bonded on top of the chrome, you should buy some carpro ironx or something similar and spray it on it will dissolve the rust when you spray it on it attacks and turns purple, you should probably spray the rest on the truck because there is probably more spots that you just haven't noticed yet. Im in canada i do this every spring as a part of my spring cleaning process

You spray the paint too? Or just the chrome. I've never heard of that before.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You spray the whole thing. IronX was one of the first, but now there are many manufacturers making similar stuff (Adams, Mckees, etc). I have it and have used it, but don't typically do that regularly. You can take off surface rail deposits with a clay bar safely without needing IronX every time to dissolve it.

Joshs19sport

Reaction score
Yes, but it is sooo much better than taking a clay bar to it, clay mars the surface and that is something you want to avoid as much as possible

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but it is sooo much better than taking a clay bar to it, clay mars the surface and that is something you want to avoid as much as possible
If your Clay is marring, use less aggressive clay or a better lubricant. It should not mar

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online