5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome bumpers, grilles, and mirrors still? & LEDs over Hallogen? Yuck.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kinda like both options chrome and color match, depending on the options and body style.

I owned a 2016 GMC Black with Chrome everything and I actually like the way it looked, in fact the color matched looks tacky on those trucks.

I also had a 2014 Ram 1500 Crew BH in MaxSteal w/ Chrome and I liked the way it looked, the 4gen is still one of the best looking Dodge Truck.

With the 2020 Ram I was not a fan of the Chrome and the paint match was only okay, so I had to go with a Rebel or Night Edition for my taste

ocwill1

Reaction score
54 here and cannot stand chrome. In fact, my last truck I got off the lot and spent a few dollars getting the chrome bumpers wrapped, replaced the grill/door handles, etc.. This truck I made sure to get the Night edition, so I don't have to worry about it

Attachments

• 20230922_173759~2.jpg
    20230922_173759~2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 32

slatersan

Reaction score
While I don't love the chrome on mine, a) I don't hate it and b) **** paying a bunch of extra money for color match or blacked out. That's silly.

TCB77

Reaction score
I’m on the color matched side and I’m 46. I have a white 2019 2 wheel drive, crew cab with the 6.5 bed with 59k that I bought used a year and a half ago with 43k on it. Because of the longer bed and being 2wd it looked like a low rider and my last two trucks were lifted so needless to say, I hated it. My wife said it looked like an old man truck! It’s a big horn with chrome 20” wheels, painted bumpers, door handles, grill frame (the middle of it is black), halogen chrome housing headlights, regular (non-sport) hood, and chrome badges.
I don’t know which one I hate more the chrome wheels or the god awful halogen head and taillights. I replaced all the badges with black ones within the first 3 months and about 8 months ago I added a 2” level spacer and readyLift UCA’ and it still had a 1.25”-1.5” rake. Unfortunately I did not measure before I installed it. Next I got 18” black method Nv305 with a -12 offset and 35x12.5. I knew they were going to rub but I thought I could trim some like some guys on here have said and it would be ok. After really looking at it, there was no way it would work unless I hacked the hell out of everything and I wanted more lift anyways. Reluctantly I went with the rough country 3.5” lift strut. The Rc 2” and 3.5” struts are the same price which was awesome. I didn’t do anything to the rear and it only sits .5”-1” lower in the rear which isn’t that bad. I want to add a .5”, .75”, or even a 1” spacer in the rear but just haven’t done it yet. Sorry for the novel!

TCB77

Reaction score
I am also thinking of adding my 2” spacer on top of the 3.5 lift strut. I think it only added 1.5” not 2” and then add a 2” spacer in the rear.
The first picture is with the so called 2” front spacer and nothing in the rear. Second one is right when I installed the 3.5” strut so it did settle a tiny bit.

Attachments

• D8E40331-CA98-4A27-A109-1CF65B011394.jpeg
    D8E40331-CA98-4A27-A109-1CF65B011394.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 24
  • E37501B9-0A71-4CF9-B2B5-7FAAF02B27F5.jpeg
    E37501B9-0A71-4CF9-B2B5-7FAAF02B27F5.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 22

TCB77

Reaction score
Next on the list is getting rid of the ugly outdated halogen headlights and installing the black housing OEM Led lights. I know there are aftermarket ones out there but not a fan of any of them. I would also like to get the black OEM grill because I feel like there is to much white on the front.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
42 here and almost bought a black night edition. So glad I didn't. The "murdered" out all black look to me looks boring af. I do like it if the body is grey or white because I like those contrasts. Instead I bought a 2020 Longhorn. Its a "luxury" truck so I love the chrome. In fact, I've been thinking of adding the chrome trim on the sides that the Limited's have. I do like black body colored bumpers too, but still with the chrome grill and trim. I've got the standard 20" Longhorn wheels. Might even get chrome wheels.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
42 here and almost bought a black night edition. So glad I didn't. The "murdered" out all black look to me looks boring af. I do like it if the body is grey or white because I like those contrasts. Instead I bought a 2020 Longhorn. Its a "luxury" truck so I love the chrome. In fact, I've been thinking of adding the chrome trim on the sides that the Limited's have. I do like black body colored bumpers too, but still with the chrome grill and trim. I've got the standard 20" Longhorn wheels. Might even get chrome wheels.

Maybe add some white walls and curb feelers. :ROFLMAO:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love chrome, chrome everything. wrapped my truck in chrome

View attachment 169571

Then re-wrapped it in matte chrome

View attachment 169572

And halogens, I love the soft yellow glow of a halogen headlight
Maaaaan, when I was a kid I had a chrome slot car. For the next 10 years of my life I knew my first car was going to be all chrome... glad I outgrew that phase!

Edit: Back in the 80's (yeah, I'm that old), I had a 70's Buick that I painted all of the chrome flat black. The only vehicles I've had that I like the chrome on were my '69 Vette (wouldn't look right without the chrome bumpers) and motorcycles.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has color matched bumpers, and that is definitely my preference, but I think the chrome looks ok on some models..

Actually, the chrome bumpers don’t bother me at all, it’s all the fake-chrome plastic pieces that I do not like.. especially the “eyebrow” appliqué between the hood and front grille. That looks so cheap to me.. I also don’t care for the plastic chrome grill insert.

Other than that, I would have considered chrome…but ultimately I probably would have chosen color matched anyway.

I did learn my lesson after my last truck and had PPF installed on the front bumper of my new truck.

Ros

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm in the 50-60 crowd, I guess I was destined to like chrome... and I do. ;) There are some trucks I don't particularly care for chrome on (white for example) but I think for Patriot Blue it really pops and accents it very well. I've seen night edition Patriot Blue trucks and they look bland to me.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My kids in their early 30s think blackout or all the same color make a vehicle look cheap and faddy.

It originally didn't matter that much to me, but I absolutely was not going to pay the $4100+ for the Night Edition and avoided even considering a truck with that option.

However, my truck happened to come with the color matched bumpers and after only 4000 miles I wish they didn't. Cleaning the other day I noticed several chips in the paint of the front bumper. The chrome bumper on my last truck still looked new when I traded it, but this one will probably look horrible.

I remember when painted bumpers on pickups were standard and you paid more for the optional chrome bumpers because they are more durable and cost more than it does to paint it. Today, manufactures will give you a cheaper manufacturing option and convince you to pay more.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
My kids in their early 30s think blackout or all the same color make a vehicle look cheap and faddy.

It originally didn't matter that much to me, but I absolutely was not going to pay the $4100+ for the Night Edition and avoided even considering a truck with that option.

However, my truck happened to come with the color matched bumpers and after only 4000 miles I wish they didn't. Cleaning the other day I noticed several chips in the paint of the front bumper. The chrome bumper on my last truck still looked new when I traded it, but this one will probably look horrible.

I remember when painted bumpers on pickups were standard and you paid more for the optional chrome bumpers because they are more durable and cost more than it does to paint it. Today, manufactures will give you a cheaper manufacturing option and convince you to pay more.
It's funny how things come and go in waves. Tight fitting clothing was trendy, then it wasn't, now it is again. Agree with you that it's crazy to me that it costs extra for the type of color or paint. Chrome probably is more expensive to manufacture yet right now it's the cheaper option. My step-FIL owns a body shop so if I ever wanna do something different i got the hookup!

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's funny how things come and go in waves. Tight fitting clothing was trendy, then it wasn't, now it is again.

Yea, I remember the billet fad. It got to the point where dealers were installing that crap on new trucks and up-charging for it.

When shopping for my 2003 Ram, I left one dealer because they had installed billet fuel doors on every truck on their lot and the salesman could not promise they could locate the original. Never understood why someone would want to draw attention to a utility door that every vehicle has. Maybe they drank too much and often struggled to find their fuel door.

dcdb89c29306ccb33b10182339588c2f.jpg

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Yea, I remember the billet fad. It got to the point where dealers were installing that crap on new trucks and up-charging for it.

When shopping for my 2003 Ram, I left one dealer because they had installed billet fuel doors on every truck on their lot and the salesman could not promise they could locate the original. Never understood why someone would want to draw attention to a utility door that every vehicle has. Maybe they drank too much and often struggled to find their fuel door.

dcdb89c29306ccb33b10182339588c2f.jpg
Hahaha i've always hated those. Now that is some ugly chrome.

RedFred

Reaction score
Eventually a younger generation will come along that will say chrome is cool again. Just the way things go around.

Users who are viewing this thread