5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome bumpers, grilles, and mirrors still? & LEDs over Hallogen? Yuck.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
So id love for everyone to chime in because im genuinely curious about this Chrome trimming. Its 2023 and id imagine almost everyone wants color match now a days minus the boomers or older folk b.c that was "normal" for them at the time but i feel that phase has passed maybe? i say this and wondering b.c (and i just saw a post about it.) everyone i know have ether.....
1- sold their truck/car for paint match version
2- people paint the chrome to paint match
3- people get them wrapped
or 4- people just kinda except it and deal with it but they dont like it or care for it.
Just me personally ive never met a soul unless over idk say 50 or 60 years old that actually likes the chrome. i know for me i dont like it at all, and that is an absolute deal breaker for me when buying cars.
how do you feel about Chrome? do yall wish you did or have you did any of the 4 i just listed? do you guys feel chrome should be discontinued and everything should be color matched like alot of vehicles now a days?
Now LEDs.....
this one i get is b.c its "newer" but again its 2023, the fact halogens or those ugly yellow-ish/orange-ish lights are even still being produced is crazy to me b.c almost no one i knows likes them. i never heeard a soul like Halogen vs LED even older folk... i mean for safety you can even see better! everyone ends up switching out bulbs and goes to white lights/LED/HID or just buys the LED housing and replaces the entire thing. again and same with chrome trim, do yall feel they need to get rid of halogen in all and just stick with LEDs?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Your first observation is spot on. Color matched bumpers are in and have been for many years now. I think only pick up trucks and semis have chrome as an option these days.

As for LED lights, this tech is where you want to be. They are brighter, safer (i.e. instant on-off brakelights), and way longer lasting than halogens. Any new vehicle still selling with halogens is way behind the technology. Most manufacturers have gone 100% LED or close to it. Maybe an occasional marker light or turn signal even is halogen and the rest are LED.

In fact if you still have incandescent/halogen bulbs in your house you are wasting/paying for energy you don't need to be. The prices have come way down. Some may still have highly specialized bulbs in their house that are halogen (I am one of those).

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm Gen X, not a Boomer (and under 50, if not by much), but I prefer chrome bumpers for two main reasons:
  • It provides contrast; the monochrome look is boring (for the same reason, I dislike black wheels: constrast with the tires looks better. And nothing personal towards you, OP, but the Night Editions are not my style)
  • Less worry about paint chips and cracking; the front bumper takes the brunt of rocks flying off the road, and it doesn't take long for a painted bumper to show wear.
I'd prefer a brushed or satin metal appearance over polished chrome, though. I don't care for chrome wheels and, somewhat off topic, I despise the chrome plumping fixtures in my house; one day, I'm going to get around to replacing those. Back to trucks, I wonder how well brushed metal would hold up; there may be a reason it's not common.

So I definitely prefer chrome bumpers over paint matched, and I don't think chrome looks bad on our trucks, but I'd like to see an ever better option. I suppose that's fitting, as I'm in the generation between Boomers and Millennials.

As for lights, yeah, halogens have got to go. That's Ram being cheap.

Okay, now get off my lawn!

Baconator

Reaction score
So id love for everyone to chime in because im genuinely curious about this Chrome trimming. Its 2023 and id imagine almost everyone wants color match now a days minus the boomers or older folk b.c that was "normal" for them at the time but i feel that phase has passed maybe? i say this and wondering b.c (and i just saw a post about it.) everyone i know have ether.....
or 4- people just kinda except it and deal with it but they dont like it or care for it.
Just me personally ive never met a soul unless over idk say 50 or 60 years old that actually likes the chrome. i know for me i dont like it at all, and that is an absolute deal breaker for me when buying cars.
how do you feel about Chrome? do yall wish you did or have you did any of the 4 i just listed? do you guys feel chrome should be discontinued and everything should be color matched like alot of vehicles now a days?
Now LEDs.....
this one i get is b.c its "newer" but again its 2023, the fact halogens or those ugly yellow-ish/orange-ish lights are even still being produced is crazy to me b.c almost no one i knows likes them. i never heeard a soul like Halogen vs LED even older folk... i mean for safety you can even see better! everyone ends up switching out bulbs and goes to white lights/LED/HID or just buys the LED housing and replaces the entire thing. again and same with chrome trim, do yall feel they need to get rid of halogen in all and just stick with LEDs?
Lot's of assumptions here. I'm a boomer and prefer color match over the chrome and leds over halogen. I will say the safety of white light for the driver often becomes a hazard for oncoming traffic, especially when someone keeps their high beams on all the time. I do have chrome wheels but I think they look ok , but that's just me.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now LEDs.....
Definitely a boomer, hate color match, makes it look like a cheap work truck. Black out is even worse. I think all vehicles should have all LED, with auto on.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Depends on the truck. Chrome bumpers on a Rebel? Nope. Color match on a Limited? Nope. I think that's why they make so many options. In addition, I think if I had something like a 3500/350 series truck for road towing, I wouldn't mind chrome accents and bumpers. I'm 40.

My father has a 2006 Ram 2500 Cummins Sport with the color match. Wayyyyyy ahead of it's time. He's DEFINITELY a boomer and loves the truck.

The LED's, 1000000% agree. I used to buy the higher trims in my JGC's I had just to get the HID or LED lights. Now they are becoming more and more standard.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
I'm Gen X, not a Boomer (and under 50, if not by much), but I prefer chrome bumpers for two main reasons:
  • It provides contrast; the monochrome look is boring (for the same reason, I dislike black wheels: constrast with the tires looks better. And nothing personal towards you, OP, but the Night Editions are not my style)
  • Less worry about paint chips and cracking; the front bumper takes the brunt of rocks flying off the road, and it doesn't take long for a painted bumper to show wear.
I'd prefer a brushed or satin metal appearance over polished chrome, though. I don't care for chrome wheels and, somewhat off topic, I despise the chrome plumping fixtures in my house; one day, I'm going to get around to replacing those. Back to trucks, I wonder how well brushed metal would hold up; there may be a reason it's not common.

So I definitely prefer chrome bumpers over paint matched, and I don't think chrome looks bad on our trucks, but I'd like to see an ever better option. I suppose that's fitting, as I'm in the generation between Boomers and Millennials.

As for lights, yeah, halogens have got to go. That's Ram being cheap.

Okay, now get off my lawn!
^^^^THIS!!!

Im 46, and with my current Ram, I went out of my way NOT to get color matched everything (IE Night edition).

She looks good to me :)

IMG_4081.jpg

Now,

gran-torino.jpg

🤣

BaseballDad

Reaction score
I agree with you about chrome (and LEDs). I'm a boomer and have the sport package (only chrome wheels and badges). I like that look but would probably get the night edition next time. What puzzles me is it has to be more expensive to chrome bumpers, etc. than to paint them but you pay a premium for the sport/night edition (even with a few extras). Maybe that's just Ram taking advantage of the market trend.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Now LEDs.....
this one i get is b.c its "newer" but again its 2023, the fact halogens or those ugly yellow-ish/orange-ish lights are even still being produced is crazy to me b.c almost no one i knows likes them. i never heeard a soul like Halogen vs LED even older folk... i mean for safety you can even see better! everyone ends up switching out bulbs and goes to white lights/LED/HID or just buys the LED housing and replaces the entire thing. again and same with chrome trim, do yall feel they need to get rid of halogen in all and just stick with LEDs
I am in my 20's and still want chrome, so it's not just the old guys.... :) To me it looks classy. My wife also says it's not a mans truck without chrome. I would never buy a color matched truck, but I can see why some people like a more "sporty" look. I like seeing that Ram + other manufactures give people the options

As for the LED lights, I agree 100%. It should just be standard option given the price of a vehicle now days. Good lighting is much safer if anything else

BowDown

Reaction score
Now LEDs.....

I love chrome, chrome everything. wrapped my truck in chrome

Screenshot 2023-10-19 130922.png

Then re-wrapped it in matte chrome

Screenshot 2023-10-19 131059.png

And halogens, I love the soft yellow glow of a halogen headlight

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Now LEDs.....

You're making a lot of big assumptions and painting with very wide brush. The majority of 50-60 year old's I know, prefer body colored or blacked out trucks. A few of them don't give a crap and just buy what's on the lot. If you haven't noticed, there are a lot of chrome trimmed trucks on dealers lots....probably the majority. I absolutely hate chrome and I wouldn't consider a truck with chrome for any reason, but according to you, I should have one.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Definitely a boomer, hate color match, makes it look like a cheap work truck. Black out is even worse. I think all vehicles should have all LED, with auto on.
Agreed blackout is over played...coming from my Rebel I wasn't sure how I would like the Chrome accents on the Limited but I love them. Makes the truck pop and last minute I ordered the color matched bumper. That part I do like except for the extra cash for PPF on it

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the "older folk", I prefer chrome bumpers on trucks. I did try to order the led light package, but it wasn't available when I ordered my truck. If anything happens to my chrome bumpers, I will find aftermarket and paint black. I've seen some really nice aftermarket bumpers on this site.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it can look good either way, chrome is more durable to scratches and paint chips and it does provide some contrast. Color matched gives a more modern look, while chrome is a bit more classy. Not really a fan of chrome wheels, I prefer a polished or gunmetal wheel. Black wheels can look good up close but from any distance you can't tell the differance from a steelie and a high end after market wheel as the black all blends in with the tires.

6of36

Reaction score
I agree with you about chrome (and LEDs). I'm a boomer and have the sport package (only chrome wheels and badges). I like that look but would probably get the night edition next time. What puzzles me is it has to be more expensive to chrome bumpers, etc. than to paint them but you pay a premium for the sport/night edition (even with a few extras). Maybe that's just Ram taking advantage of the market trend.
Exactly. Money making idea to make people think it looks good, and then the painted bumpers chip. All around losing idea to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread