5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Checking in

rsg1963

Reaction score
This check-in got out of hand, apologies in advance:Just checking in and giving a little background info, etc. Hoping this turns out to be a good board. I am a member of another forum and it's not quite the same as it was, folks are more aggressive than before. We are looking at half ton trucks and narrowed it down to the 3.5 Eco-Boost or new Powestroke Diesel F-150 Platinum..........Until Ram came out with this 2019 1500!!! Holy smokes...this is as big of a leap as the 2009 Ram was to it's predecessor.

I drive a 2016 Ram Cummins 3500. Previously the wife drove our 2010 Ram 1500 with some mods for about 100k miles, (don't care to elaborate since we sold it). She currently drives a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel.We tow heavy with both vehicles. The 3500 tows a 41 foot 5th wheel, the Jeep tows our new 37' boat/jet ski combo trailer (See avatar). And that's 2nd the reason we are now looking at trucks again. The Jeep is near it's max towing capacity and just over it's cargo capacity with the tongue weight even with the WD hitch. So we only tow with it when absolutely necessary (like when we want to bring the 5ver AND the water toys). The first reason we are looking again is the wife misses her truck. Just that simple. Happy wife happy...something something...not sure how that goes...
263a.png

Really hoping the Eco-Diesel comes out sometime this year as that would be the ideal truck for us. The Hemi was great for us, but at altitude the forced induction stomps N/A every time, plus the whole mileage thing day after day has me looking at only the Diesels or possibly the eco-boost..

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to have you here. I hope this board turns out good as well
1f609.png
I'm sure it will. I agree if you're at altitude forced induction is the way to go. I can't say much bad about the F150's they're good trucks and the EcoBoost has proven itself towing at altitude with the various tests the guys over at TFLTruck have done. I was curious about the Powerstroke F150 until I saw it has a timing belt instead of a chain, that instantly made it a no from me.

Mike Manley said they will beat anyone's diesel half ton numbers with the updated EcoDiesel so I'm definitely curious to see the numbers on that. We currently don't expect to see the EcoDiesel until model year 2020 though.

rsg1963

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Mike Manley said they will beat anyone's diesel half ton numbers with the updated EcoDiesel so I'm definitely curious to see the numbers on that. We currently don't expect to see the EcoDiesel until model year 2020 though.
Thank you for the welcome! And also for depressing me about the full year wait for the Eco-diesel. Bummer!!!

Users who are viewing this thread