5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Your Fender Flares.

haef

Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have 3500 miles on the truck, no off road use. I'm guessing it's from whatever salt mix they're using in Pennsylvania. Just chipping here, nothing on the front of the vehicle.

Time for some flaps at a min. View attachment 14708
Yes I am having the same issue with my Limited, 5,000 miles and the paint is all but gone. The dealer says nothing we can do, it is because of where you are driving! Are we supposed to clean the roadway before we drive? I have mudflaps since the truck left the dealership, they do not help. I have ramped it up to corporate but I think they will just try to brush it under the rug so to speak. They should put a protective type strip where road debris will impact the lower body sections, even cheapo autos have some type of protection but a $69,000 truck has nothing and the dealer blames it on the roads we drive on? I drive in NY, upstate NY, Connecticut (they use a lot of sand in the winters), I also drive in Vermont. Perhaps we are not supposed to drive these trucks in the winter????

haef

Reaction score
Yes I am having the same issue with my Limited, 5,000 miles and the paint is all but gone. The dealer says nothing we can do, it is because of where you are driving! Are we supposed to clean the roadway before we drive? I have mudflaps since the truck left the dealership, they do not help. I have ramped it up to corporate but I think they will just try to brush it under the rug so to speak. They should put a protective type strip where road debris will impact the lower body sections, even cheapo autos have some type of protection but a $69,000 truck has nothing and the dealer blames it on the roads we drive on? I drive in NY, upstate NY, Connecticut (they use a lot of sand in the winters), I also drive in Vermont. Perhaps we are not supposed to drive these trucks in the winter????
5,400 miles

Attachments

• 20200310_123006.jpg
    20200310_123006.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 93

kthibs22

Reaction score
You need to install XPEL paint protection ...Thats was the first mod that I did to my truck.
Did you Expel the entire truck or just the front bumper, hood, and front fender flare??

kthibs22

Reaction score
I did the front bumper and around the grill, the rockers and the edges of all my doors
Once I get my truck I will be putting this on mine as well, the front bumper, rockers, and hood. Living in New England and all the crap they put on the road in the winter don't want all of that ruining my new paint.

Connollybb

Reaction score
Anyone else having this issue? I have 3500 miles on the truck, no off road use. I'm guessing it's from whatever salt mix they're using in Pennsylvania. Just chipping here, nothing on the front of the vehicle.

We just got a 2020 and took one trip on the Oregon snow roads and came home to the same on our Black Diamond paint. Except ours look Whitish and it in on the metal part in front of the flares

Our brand new 2020 has this after one trip from CA to Oregon on snow roads. Unbelievable and we are gonna take it in to the dealer today. Our truck is black diamond so the flares look kinda white speckled AND there are paint chips on the metal.

Connollybb

Reaction score
I went and looked at a used ‘19 on the lot after I bought mine to see where the rocks hit; you found it! I wrapped the front of the flare with paint protection film. I also did the entire lower rocker panel. Mud flaps don’t help the rocker and front of the rear flare. Not having a running board to block the rocks leaves it vulnerable.
People are talking running boards yet if you have a automated running board, won't the same thing happen? Curious

Connollybb

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with mine - Billet Silver - the dealership said RAM won't cover it... my truck has 4300 miles on it. I can imagine the paint will be completely gone by 10K... I've never experienced this on any vehicle I've owned... really disappointing for such a costly truck

Matt
Same with our 2020, we are going to take it in to be looked at today. This forum isn't giving me much hope for RAM to do anything. So disappointing for a brand new 2020 truck after one trip.

Connollybb

Reaction score
I just bought my Limited 3 days ago and went out to check my rear fenders after reading through this thread. I noticed that the bottom front section of the rear fenders look like they have some sort of film/sticker on them. (You can see the horizontal lines where it start/stops)
Looking through the photos on this thread I didn't see any one else's fenders have this. It's a May '19 build. Do you think it's for protection from this?
View attachment 28012
Our 2020 has the tape also. However we just put on 1200 miles on one snow related trip and the speckled dots are on our fenders and paint now at rear tire fronts. Taking to the shop today to have looked at. Yet yes, we have the tape too. Wonder if that was supposed to solve this issue. If so, didn't work.

bonebro

Reaction score
People are talking running boards yet if you have a automated running board, won't the same thing happen? Curious
I have the automated running boards. They don’t protect anything from rocks and sand. The regular bulky running boards help block quite a bit of the road debris from hitting the rocker panels and rear flares.

Connollybb

Reaction score
I have the automated running boards. They don’t protect anything from rocks and sand. The regular bulky running boards help block quite a bit of the road debris from hitting the rocker panels and rear flares.

Connollybb

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I figured that would be the deal with automated running boards. My husband is at the dealership now and here is what he sent me .....They are taking it back to the detailers.. two managers said “ i have never seen anything like this” So keeping fingers crossed something might get done. This is crazy. We still have our paper plates on there.

Users who are viewing this thread