5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check your doors for alignment. Quality Control

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
So I noticed after a wash that my rear crew cab doors don’t match. Add this to the list.

Passenger side seems fine. This is the top back corner.
7F0FC9E0-FF2C-497F-B362-84AE8DF1DB30.jpeg

This is the driver side. The whole top back corner is sunk in. No accidents or anything like that. I’m sure I drove it off the lot like this. Luckily it’s sealing ok.
F0FFBCEA-639B-4E62-BA4D-E94AD4BAB090.jpeg

Last edited:

IA_Dawg

Reaction score
That is what mine look like. Which is creating wind noise on the highway. Dealership had to order new door hinges for my truck. Taking it back in next Monday to have them installed.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
That is what mine look like. Which is creating wind noise on the highway. Dealership had to order new door hinges for my truck. Taking it back in next Monday to have them installed.

Let us know if that fixes the issue. I'm worried it's the door and not the hing. Also, make sure the hinges are color matched (y)

My current list for when I go in for my free/first oil change at the dealer:
Upper glove box doesn't close correctly (light stays on).
Ambient light above upper glove box not uniform.
Rear doors misaligned
TSB for transmission software flash
Recall for power steering ground cable

Not as bad as some owners.

Last edited:

dalailama23

Reaction score
you just joined the long list of people that had door alignment issues , check past post ,most were out not in though. The quality control for this year seems to be quite lacking. my prior years at the warren plant were good. they need to get there act together two of my neighbors just bought trucks and they are not happy campers.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
My driver's door is misaligned. Dealer suggested I leave it alone as adjusting could cause issues with closing... But told me how to do myself if I wanted to tweak it. I've left it alone.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My driver's door is misaligned. Dealer suggested I leave it alone as adjusting could cause issues with closing... But told me how to do myself if I wanted to tweak it. I've left it alone.

Yes, when I noticed my door problem, they told me the same thing, I took a chance on it, I know, but it worked out for me. The way I figured, if all the other doors were properly aligned and I had no wind noise, then the chances were good if the out of align door was adjusted, it would be okay as well. Worked out.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow..and I thought my dealer was useless. Literally told you to fix it yourself?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Wow..and I thought my dealer was useless. Literally told you to fix it yourself?
They gave me the choice. I told them to leave it alone since I didn't want to risk having to bring it back if an adjustment caused other issues.

Fixing it myself would be super easy, I've just not gotten around to it. And I can trial and error it to my liking.

Ewiz

Reaction score
My interior is quiet but the door alignment is extremely poor I complained about it and they would not fix it. My 1966 Chevy has better body lines than this

Very unhappy with My laundry list of items that they will not fix

MN5241

Reaction score
I took a look at mine this morning and have a similar alignment issue. Drivers side rear door. At times when I close it, it feels it doesn't close quite right, never thought to look at the alignment. This might be something that I will have to have the dealer adjust when I bring it in for its first oil change. Could explain the road noise I hear from that side.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, if anyone is interested in the instruction I was given to fix my door...here goes.

My issue is that the drivers door doesn't close flush. Everything else is in alignment. Logically, I was instructed to loosen up the 2 bolts on the latch and then using a piece of wood and a hammer, whack it to shift it in a little. Obviously that will allow the door to close further in and flush.

The warning was that it "might" cause the door to be a little harder to close, but that it might also pop or snap when I open it due to there being more pressure on the latch. That was the biggest issue they warned me about.

They also warned me that the latch could also be bonded to the paint and whacking on it might need enough force to break it loose from the paint bond.

Once I get around to doing it myself, I can tweak it in and see if it both fixes the issue and doesn't cause the popping/snapping issue.

dalailama23

Reaction score
My dealer said that my door sticking out was normal and within specs . i removed one hinge at a time to drill the holes larger because there was no play for adjustment in the direction i needed to go, then moved the door where it needed to be with a friends help and tightened the nuts. luckily mine was a rear door and you could get to the hinges from the front. Having to do this myself pissed me off so much i made a point of showing it to everybody who asked about my truck and was interested in RAM. i put blue tape arrows pointing to it every time i stooped at the store next to the Dealer. It wasn't my dealers fault, they showed me the spec sheet from FCA saying the door can be out a certain amount , What hogwash!

Attachments

• 100_0526.jpg
    100_0526.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 565
  • 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 549

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone who hasn’t taken delivery yet, check the vehicle out thoroughly before signing. You’ll be amazed at how fast they swing that vehicle into the service department and get it fixed, ready for after you sign.

I once bought a truck and the front bumper had a ding in it. I told them it would need to get fixed before I took it. The sales person told me they don’t have any in stock and they would give me a “we owe” order and order a bumper. I then pointed to another truck on the lot and said that bumper matches. The sales person disappeared and then 2 techs quickly came out and drove both trucks into the service area. A short while later, I took delivery of my fixed truck.

Users who are viewing this thread