5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light

Greg10yes

Reaction score
Finally broke down and took my truck to the dealer for the U11E9, I had replaced the AGS, checked the wiring and the check engine light stayed on. The dealer said it was the active air dam that was at fault so for a mere $850 my check engine light is off, hopefully for a long time. So if someone thinks they need a new AGS assembly, I have one I will sell.

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
Has there been any real resolution to this? My CEL just kicked on after driving and restarting after gas stop for fuel. Looks like the depot job is straight fwd but seems there maybe other causes. Why isn’t ram doing more on this issue since it’s systemic?

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
Finally broke down and took my truck to the dealer for the U11E9, I had replaced the AGS, checked the wiring and the check engine light stayed on. The dealer said it was the active air dam that was at fault so for a mere $850 my check engine light is off, hopefully for a long time. So if someone thinks they need a new AGS assembly, I have one I will sell.
Did you sale yours? If not how much are you asking?

terryserf

Reaction score
I just found this thread. I realize this is an older thread but I'm looking for answers as well. I bought this truck from the dealer with approximately 39,000 miles. I have driven approximately 1000 miles. The CEL came on the other day. I took it to Auto parts store and there scanner did not produce any codes. The next morning the light did not come on. The next day lights back on. I buy my own scanner and the U11E9 code comes up. My scanner also tells me that it has been 1076 miles since codes were cleared. That tells me that there was a problem right before I purchased this truck. Has anyone had a definitive answer for this? Thanks

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
Has there been any further updates to this? I tried the battery and the light was
Off for a Short time. the grills open and close at
Start up so the motor is working. Not sure what the issue is now.

Greg10yes

Reaction score
My problem ended up being the active air dam that lowers above maybe 35mph so not sure how you test that short of a go pro tied to the underside of your front bumper to see it it moves.

Jarrambidez

Reaction score
My problem ended up being the active air dam that lowers above maybe 35mph so not sure how you test that short of a go pro tied to the underside of your front bumper to see it it moves.
I’ve read that being a problem too. Open trouble shooting ideas though. Thanks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a CEL. The reader says U11E9. How can I troubleshoot this? If the grill shutters cycle at startup, does this mean they're good? Is it the AGS or the active air dam?

Thanks

Chillyo

Reaction score
I got the U11E9 code at around 50k miles. Yesterday I disconnected the active air dam and then had a local auto parts store clear the codes. I have yet to see the check engine light return. It is confusing because of the code saying it lost communication with the active grill shutters but it seems that the air dam is tied into it as well. There is only one plug to disconnect the AAD and it is located behind the front bumper on the driver side of the truck. I will remove the entire AAD system if the CEL does not come back on.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got the U11E9 code at around 50k miles. Yesterday I disconnected the active air dam and then had a local auto parts store clear the codes. I have yet to see the check engine light return. It is confusing because of the code saying it lost communication with the active grill shutters but it seems that the air dam is tied into it as well. There is only one plug to disconnect the AAD and it is located behind the front bumper on the driver side of the truck. I will remove the entire AAD system if the CEL does not come back on.
I was in the same boat. Verified AGS by starting the truck and watching the AGS cycle to self check. Then I disconnected the AAD and had oreilly clear the CEL. It’s been quite a few months and the light never came back. I haven’t fully removed it yet tho.

Cerino2000

Reaction score

jbjones77

Reaction score
Dealing with the same issue now. Took it to the dealer since I have an extended warranty. They claim there is corrosion on a connection and want to replace the air dam and the wiring. My luck, since the dealer says “corrosion “ CNA(my extended warranty company) will not cover it. I pulled apart the connection to the air dam and see no corrosion so I’m not sure what he is seeing. They are wanting over $1000 to replace which I can’t accept. Will just unplugging the air get rid of the check engine light? This dealership is pretty much useless in helping and I’m getting attitude from the manager for asking questions

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey jbjones77,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

jbjones77

Reaction score
Hey jbjones77,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares
Hi. I would prefer to have them repair whatever issue there is, but they submitted to CNA extended warranty as corrosion on the connection (which I pulled it apart and didn’t see any corrosion) and CNA denied the claim due to the “corrosion” claim. Dealer wants over $1000 to replace the AAd and wire going it it. I called FCA customer care also and they were no help

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealing with the same issue now. Took it to the dealer since I have an extended warranty. They claim there is corrosion on a connection and want to replace the air dam and the wiring. My luck, since the dealer says “corrosion “ CNA(my extended warranty company) will not cover it. I pulled apart the connection to the air dam and see no corrosion so I’m not sure what he is seeing. They are wanting over $1000 to replace which I can’t accept. Will just unplugging the air get rid of the check engine light? This dealership is pretty much useless in helping and I’m getting attitude from the manager for asking questions
Unplug the AAD and tape up/zip tie the connections. Then have autozone clear the code. No cost to you.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi. I would prefer to have them repair whatever issue there is, but they submitted to CNA extended warranty as corrosion on the connection (which I pulled it apart and didn’t see any corrosion) and CNA denied the claim due to the “corrosion” claim. Dealer wants over $1000 to replace the AAd and wire going it it. I called FCA customer care also and they were no help
If you'd like us to look into the case created for you, please send us a direct message with the case number! We'd be happy to look into this for you.

Callie
Ram Cares

Cerino2000

Reaction score
Been meaning to comment on this thread for the benefit of anyone else who winds up here googling that error code. I was shocked when the dealership replaced not the active grill shutters but instead the active air dam that sits under the truck. I was shocked because it successfully worked. Everything point s to a problem with the active grill shutters but clearly the dealership knew that even though the code points to the shutter, it was actually the air dam. Mine was under warranty but if I had to fix it myself I would have replaced the shutter which costs twice as much as the lower dam. It appears they are related regarding that code and it kinda makes sense since the lower dam will certainly get more abuse. I do see a few people mentioning the air dam in this thread and that is correct on the 5th gens. My understanding is that if you have a 4th gen, it’s likely the active grill shutters. Just an FYI.

Wb99

Reaction score
Been meaning to comment on this thread for the benefit of anyone else who winds up here googling that error code. I was shocked when the dealership replaced not the active grill shutters but instead the active air dam that sits under the truck. I was shocked because it successfully worked. Everything point s to a problem with the active grill shutters but clearly the dealership knew that even though the code points to the shutter, it was actually the air dam. Mine was under warranty but if I had to fix it myself I would have replaced the shutter which costs twice as much as the lower dam. It appears they are related regarding that code and it kinda makes sense since the lower dam will certainly get more abuse. I do see a few people mentioning the air dam in this thread and that is correct on the 5th gens. My understanding is that if you have a 4th gen, it’s likely the active grill shutters. Just an FYI.
I’m new here . Is there anyway to test the air dam to see if it’s working properly ?

Users who are viewing this thread