5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check engine light on

ProdigyDude

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Lonestar with 57,000 miles. About a month ago the check engine light came on and gave me the U11E9 code. It would turn off some days and come on other days but now it’s permanent. Dealership is charging me $1,161 to replace the (part # 68274406AH air dam-front). Would like to get y’all’s thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I'd try to make sure there isn't a bad/pinched wire first, and make sure a chunk of depri isn't stopping the grills from working correctly.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The bus communications are usually twisted pairs to minimize interference, but yet, I wonder.... Have you, by any chance, added or upgraded any lighting? Some LEDs have done weird things to the remote start function. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they could scramble the signals if the wiring is nearby and set up a communication error and trigger the light.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Lonestar with 57,000 miles. About a month ago the check engine light came on and gave me the U11E9 code. It would turn off some days and come on other days but now it’s permanent. Dealership is charging me $1,161 to replace the (part # 68274406AH air dam-front). Would like to get y’all’s thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first thing that pops up when putting the U11E9 code in Google is below. Might want to try it before shelling out $1,161 to the stealership. I mean, if this is wrong, what's another $25 at this point?

The error code u11e9 on a Chrysler 200 means that the vehicle has lost communication with the active grill shutters. When this code appears the fix for it is going to be either reconnecting or replacing the ags wiring harness. A replacement wiring harness will cost You between $15 and $25.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
I suggest further troubleshooting and/or inspecting of the wiring.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If the part they are planning to replace is the active front air dam (below the front bumper), I’d try to unplug the wiring harness from the air dam. Ive heard several members here remove the air dam completely and get no check engine light.

Doubt that air dam will save $1200 in fuel.
I am one of those members who removed the active air dam, on two different trucks (2020 Laramie and 2020 Limited). There was no trouble code or CEL triggered on either truck.

But like others have said, U11E9 is for the active grille shutters, not the active air dam.

Jdizz_014

Reaction score
2020 Ram Rebel
at about 25k miles my check engine light came on, on Dec 24th 2020. They have replaced both catalytic converters, both exhaust manifolds and all o2 sensors, every time they said they fixed it the light came on the next day. All these repairs have been going on in a span of 7 months. In that span the air conditioning stopped working and they said it was a pigtail to the compressor, that didn't fix it even though they said they fixed it. Keep in mind i live in Texas. In the middle of summer with no a/c. Then i was told after i brought it back that it needed a compressor. That didn't fix it. So check engine light still on a/c does not work and now im being told that i needed an engine harness was the cause of everything, but you'd think they would have found that at first. Its currently getting that done as we speak. I already have a case with RAM and NCDS/CDSP

41magmag41

Reaction score
Just a long shot, air dam cools the engine thus it should be covered on your 60000 mile driveline warranty.

MurdaRam

Reaction score
Air dam doesn't cool the engine. It helps direct air flow under the truck to help with fuel economy.
Did a check engine light eventually come on after removing the grill shutters? I want to remove the whole entire thing and just leave the motor plugged.

Drewster

Reaction score
The confusing thing to me is that code usually relates to the grill shutters in front of the radiator, while the part the dealer sent you is for the air dam.

I would definitely unplug the air dam (that sticks out below the car when deployed) and see if the code goes away, because apparently they're not even fitting them to new trucks.

If it's the grill shutters, you might actually be able to convince the dealer to replace them, since that impacts how quickly the truck warms up (and thus emissions, etc. etc.)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did a check engine light eventually come on after removing the grill shutters? I want to remove the whole entire thing and just leave the motor plugged.
I removed the Active Air Dam. The Active Grille Shutters were still intact on my truck. Never saw a code in 18 months. Now I have a different truck, and have yet to remove the AAD.
now we are playing semantics over a small item, im done with small minded items like this and have better things to do in life
Not semantics, but fact. The air dam(s) help the air to flow under the truck, reducing air resistance to help improve fuel economy. It does not force any of that air through the radiator. Your dealer is mistaken on this (not sure who you're quoting since saying "dealer" doesn't identify an actual person).

41magmag41

Reaction score
I removed the Active Air Dam. The Active Grille Shutters were still intact on my truck. Never saw a code in 18 months. Now I have a different truck, and have yet to remove the AAD.

Not semantics, but fact. The air dam(s) help the air to flow under the truck, reducing air resistance to help improve fuel economy. It does not force any of that air through the radiator. Your dealer is mistaken on this (not sure who you're quoting since saying "dealer" doesn't identify an actual person).
the dam does direct some air flow over the radiator.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a CEL now. The reader says U11E9. How can I troubleshoot this? If the grill shutters cycle at startup, does this mean they're good? Is it the AGS or the active air dam?

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best way to find out is to unplug the active air dam and either clear the code or wait for it to go away. If you clear it and it comes back, you know it's the shutters. I saw your post on the other thread about this, read that thread.
Also, I just installed some RC 6" grill light bars and had to remove the entire grill assembly and remove the active shutters from the grill assembly, and IIRC, there isn't anything electrical connecting the AGS to the truck? I don't recall unplugging them to remove the assembly nor do I recall plugging them back in when reinstalled. I'm not sure how they work, but it isn't by electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread