5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheapest way to change ecodiesel oil ?

tom318

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that not all 5W40 oils are OK. Mobil 1 has a Euro 5W40 oil on the shelf at Walmart, but if you dig into the specs on their website it specifically says "not for vehicles with DPF". You need to be careful what you buy for the EcoDiesel.

I'm running and testing the Quaker State oil still, but my next experience will be with the Motul X-Clean. It's listed at <0.8% SAPS which is as low as you'll find on an approved MS-12991 oil.

Do you happen to have the SAPS specs on Quaker State or Pennzoil Euro? I've been running Pennzoil and moving to Quaker state soon.

On a side note, I'm at 30k now and waiting for 3rd oil analysis to come back but the last 2 had high aluminum content, 22 and 21. If it continues to be high I'm not sure what to do.....wait till something fails? Oil still has plenty of life left per the analysis so I don't want to spend even more $$ changing it every 5k or less. Now I'm changing every 7500. Truck is always at 25% oil life when I change.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you happen to have the SAPS specs on Quaker State or Pennzoil Euro? I've been running Pennzoil and moving to Quaker state soon.

On a side note, I'm at 30k now and waiting for 3rd oil analysis to come back but the last 2 had high aluminum content, 22 and 21. If it continues to be high I'm not sure what to do.....wait till something fails? Oil still has plenty of life left per the analysis so I don't want to spend even more $$ changing it every 5k or less. Now I'm changing every 7500. Truck is always at 25% oil life when I change.
Seems to be normal with these engines, time will tell if the numbers come down like the oil testing labs predict. I am now at 53000km and counting with 5 oil samples submitted and all have have high aluminum content.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI…Walmart has the Quaker State Euro 5W40 that meets the Chrysler spec (MS-12991) back in stock for shipping to your door! $15.96 per five quart jug.

Attachments

• B48CC025-EBF1-40AE-8033-8B4BB0323397.png
    B48CC025-EBF1-40AE-8033-8B4BB0323397.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 27

StringNH

Reaction score
FYI…Walmart has the Quaker State Euro 5W40 that meets the Chrysler spec (MS-12991) back in stock for shipping to your door! $15.96 per five quart jug.
Huh, when I check it say out of stock and so does the screen shot you posted. Where do you see, in stock?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huh, when I check it say out of stock and so does the screen shot you posted. Where do you see, in stock?
You are correct...when I first pulled it up, it showed they had 2 containers in stock. In two minutes time from when I first looked at it until I refreshed and took a pick, they had apparently sold. It was the same for me on September 17...sold out one minute and an hour later they had more in stock.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Generally those oils are around 1.1% SAPS. Even the Motul X-Cess is about 1.1%. That's why I'm going to test the X-Clean instead when my supply of Quaker State is gone.

gorilla57

Reaction score
Generally those oils are around 1.1% SAPS. Even the Motul X-Cess is about 1.1%. That's why I'm going to test the X-Clean instead when my supply of Quaker State is gone.
If these DPF systems are ok with normal/high SAPS, then why run medium or low SAPS oils? I've been running Total Quartz 9000 Energy and it's a normal/high SAPS and it has the MS-12991 certification. Doesn't a higher SAPS also mean better wear additives since phosphorus is anti-wear and sulphur is an anti-oxidant.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The systems work fine with high saps. It's FCA not wanting to have the DPF possibly failing under warranty since they are non serviceable. It's a double edge cut too, since SAPS in oils are what give it additional lubricity and protection. Same as Ultra low sulfur diesel suddenly eating HPFP when it was mandated. Its can kicking on the part of manufactures to make the problems "your problems" by making them last just long enough to outlast the warranty period and not for longevity and serviceability. Half it is would be moot if the DPF were a serviceable cartridge element like on large commercial diesel engines.

gorilla57

Reaction score
The systems work fine with high saps. It's FCA not wanting to have the DPF possibly failing under warranty since they are non serviceable. It's a double edge cut too, since SAPS in oils are what give it additional lubricity and protection. Same as Ultra low sulfur diesel suddenly eating HPFP when it was mandated. Its can kicking on the part of manufactures to make the problems "your problems" by making them last just long enough to outlast the warranty period and not for longevity and serviceability. Half it is would be moot if the DPF were a serviceable cartridge element like on large commercial diesel engines.
Just doesn't make sense that FCA would "approve" high SAPS oils then if they were worried about DPF clogging. Good to know that our 3.0 can handle the higher SAPS oils as I am going to continue to run the Total Quartz stuff (I have 1 more oil change worth of it sitting here). Thanks for the confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread