5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheapest way to change ecodiesel oil ?

Bad Notch

Reaction score
Anyone figured out how or where to buy bulk filters and the correct oil at a discount ? Does anyone have the link for the oil pan plug valve ?

Thanks !

tidefan1967

Reaction score
Anyone figured out how or where to buy bulk filters and the correct oil at a discount ? Does anyone have the link for the oil pan plug valve ?

Thanks !
Did you check Rockauto for the filters? If your going to buy in bulk they’re a good way to go.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rockauto or diesel filters online is half the price of the dealer. Oil you need 5W40 with MS12991 spec. There are several available for very reasonable price. You can easily do an oil change for $80 or so yourself.

tom318

Reaction score
Here is the valve I use. I connect a small tube to it and I’m good to go.

for oil and fuel filters I’ve been purchasing here or Amazon depending on the price.

For oil I’ve been purchasing also from Amazon. I don’t think I really consider this cheap though. Cheaper than the dealer for sure but it’s still costing me nearly $100 per change.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 or Quaker State euro 5w40 are the two most common ms-12991 oils that I know of. The dealers SHOULD be using the pennzoil euro spec oil but some are using shell rotella T6 even tho it doesn’t meet spec.

Be sure to keep records of the oil and filters purchased if you plan on doing it yourself. If the oil you use does not meet ms-12991 spec and you have internal engine issue expect to be denied warranty coverage.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen pictures this week of people finding the Quaker State oil on clearance at Walmart for $8.00 to $14.00 per 5-quart jug. That's the best deal you will ever find on oil that meets spec.

The F106S Fumoto is the valve I use. Works like a charm.

Been getting the filters from dieselfiltersonline.com for a long while now, but I'm hoping prices will come down even more as competition heats up.

tom318

Reaction score
Thanks for that link! I should be covered for 1-2 years on oil!!! I usually don't like interchanging oils but this was to good to pass up and it still meets the spec. Got a total of 10 jugs and hoping to pick up a few more! $10-15each depending on the Walmart. Surprised they wouldn't match the prices.....

Cray91

Reaction score
Thanks for that link! I should be covered for 1-2 years on oil!!! I usually don't like interchanging oils but this was to good to pass up and it still meets the spec. Got a total of 10 jugs and hoping to pick up a few more! $10-15each depending on the Walmart. Surprised they wouldn't match the prices.....
That is really interesting. I noticed a $2 differences between the stores just a few miles apart. I didn't bother to ask about price matching though.

Cray91

Reaction score
Weird that I cannot find the item for pickup or local stock info on WM.com. Even by searching WM's item #

tom318

Reaction score
Weird that I cannot find the item for pickup or local stock info on WM.com. Even by searching WM's item #
If it’s not available within 50miles of the location then it will not come up. I was getting a little crazy and checking zip codes of areas some of my friends live since I was going to have them pick some up for me. some areas simply didn’t carry it so it would not even show up at all just like you describe. Northern IL worked but Michigan near Holland wouldn’t show it at all.

Cray91

Reaction score
If it’s not available within 50miles of the location then it will not come up. I was getting a little crazy and checking zip codes of areas some of my friends live since I was going to have them pick some up for me. some areas simply didn’t carry it so it would not even show up at all just like you describe. Northern IL worked but Michigan near Holland wouldn’t show it at all.
Good to know. I would have expected an 'out of stock' message, instead of hiding it completely. Weird strategy from WM.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
good thread to post this question. https://www.fumotousa.com/f106sx.html#product-details-tab-s

I'm going to buy this. Anyone running this on the Ecodiesel?
I will be installing a drain valve on my next oil change, there are a few out there. The location of the drain plug causes quite a mess as it is from the factory.

Edit: I plan on installing the valvomax drain plug which includes a short hose to make draining the oil much easier and cleaner.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread