5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing a tire

NinjaMJD

Reaction score
Not to be that guy, but this is my first ever truck. Friend of mine texted me in the middle of the night that he had a flat in his truck and wanted to know if I had AAA. I do have roadside service, but I figure in a pinch I should be able to change my own damn tire. I could do it on a car in the past since you just get the spare and the tools out of your trunk, but I don't know where the tools would be on the truck, and how to unlock the spare. So silly question, and yeah here's my man card, but if I ever get a flat and need to change the tire on my 19 1500, how do I get the spare out and are there any tools with the truck to help? If So how do I get to those?

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
Tools are under front passenger seat.

Not to be that guy, but this is my first ever truck. Friend of mine texted me in the middle of the night that he had a flat in his truck and wanted to know if I had AAA. I do have roadside service, but I figure in a pinch I should be able to change my own damn tire. I could do it on a car in the past since you just get the spare and the tools out of your trunk, but I don't know where the tools would be on the truck, and how to unlock the spare. So silly question, and yeah here's my man card, but if I ever get a flat and need to change the tire on my 19 1500, how do I get the spare out and are there any tools with the truck to help? If So how do I get to those?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
There are instructions in the owner's manual. Pay close attention to the sequence. You want to loosen the lug nuts a little before you raise the vehicle. Don't remove them, just break them loose while you can really lean on the lug wrench and let gravity help, because too many mechanics use an air gun set too high to replace lug nuts.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and keep a “breaker bar” in the truck with appropriate socket. Sometimes those lugs are impossible to loose. IMO it’s important for everyone to have the proper supplies; battery booster, first aid, tie downs, tools, blankets, etc, plus a working knowledge of how to do the basic things on your particular vehicle (fuses, jump, tire change, etc) BEFORE you’re on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the dark in a snowstorm.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@NinjaMJD and really anyone else - if you haven't done it already, save a copy of the user manual on your phone or even google drive / onedrive / icloud, whatever your flavor and ensure it's checked 'for offline use'

Then you can keyword search it etc. good post with the video! I'd save that in my youtbe history in case someone else is driving the truck and needs a walkthrough

TimG

Reaction score
All great advice so far, so I'm going to add my .02.... Pay attention to the size of your spare and its wheel. It may or may not me the same as your primary tires and wheels. If its different, its not really a super big deal unless you are 1) waaaaayyy out in the boonies and its a long trip to get everything repaired/replaced, or 2) Super lazy and just plan on leaving the spare on as your primary drive tire/wheel. The spare on my Rebel is a 20" rim with a low-profile Wildpeak tire, which obviously is very different than my stock tires/wheels. I'm ok with this, though, since I find it as a great motivator to get everything replaced/repaired as soon as I can.

Jako

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and keep a “breaker bar” in the truck with appropriate socket. Sometimes those lugs are impossible to loose. IMO it’s important for everyone to have the proper supplies; battery booster, first aid, tie downs, tools, blankets, etc, plus a working knowledge of how to do the basic things on your particular vehicle (fuses, jump, tire change, etc) BEFORE you’re on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in the dark in a snowstorm.
Patsy 1099
Great advice on the breaker bar. Socket is on the way (to keep in the Ram) and breaker bar is on my Christmas list. I did 130 ft/lb torque settings only 2 1/2 months ago on a wheel change over. Last week I put the "salt season" wheels on. I had to add a pipe to my 1/2" ratchet to loosen some of the lugs. I also broke a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter (I think the brand was TR or something). I really question how readily a tire could be changed with the Ram kit. Anyone with personal experience using only the tools supplied?
I'm not familiar with impact guns. My 2006 Honda Accord is 80 ft/lb and the Ram is 130 ft/lb. How does it work and what do the mechanics do in the shops?
To add to Patsy advice: breaker bar + ratchet OR triple A or both.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea the breaker bar is a must. At most shops, they run them on with an impact and just let it eat so to speak. They don’t actually torque them, and they end up WAY over spec. Like off in the 150+ at some joints, on anything they service. Think nascar, squeeze the trigger until it stops moving. Then hold it on there for a few more seconds.

With any decent size breaker bar you can get them off though, 1/2” drive though not 3/8”. Use a 1/2” socket as well, if an impact socket fits, I’d use that as it won’t break like a chrome or thin walled lug nut socket. And I’d get a deep socket at that, so you hopefully don’t need an extension. If you do, the smaller the better.

You don’t really need anything that ratchets for this, it’s just one tire. That’s more of a luxury, you can turn all 6 by hand using the socket pretty easily.

Taking the spare tire out is kind of a pita on most trucks, I’d definitely dry run it so you know what’s going on. No need to remove it completely, just lower it down some to get the feel.

Lastly, if all you have is the oem stuff, your only real chance is to rock the vehicle back and forth using the lug nut itself to try and break it loose. If it’s way over torqued with an impact it could be rough.

baumann6

Reaction score
Anyone know what the exact size socket is for the lugnuts I am guessing it is either a 7/8, 21mm or a 22mm could go out and check but is is cold and snowy here.

Jako

Reaction score
Anyone know what the exact size socket is for the lugnuts I am guessing it is either a 7/8, 21mm or a 22mm could go out and check but is is cold and snowy here.
22 mm
FYI
Home Depot - Husky, 1/2" 22mm, 6 pt, deep impact socket for $6.00+ incld tax, was the best deal I could find.

Cravenfan

Reaction score

Knee pads, or knee pad and if you have locking wheels, keep that in your owners manual bag....man, I hate kneeling on frozen pavement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/