5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing 23 gal fuel tank to 33gal.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Huge thread on this with parts lists, write ups, discussion, etc.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have appt. to get mine done Oct.9th. Has anyone done this?
What are they charging you for the switch?

I am surprised a dealership would even entertain this idea, as most I know would tell you its a factory-only option, cannot be programmed.

Please provide details! I already have the 33 gallon tank, but many, many others may find this info handy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know of at least one member here who has done this. If I remember correctly, the dealership charged around $2k for the swap, but don't hold me to that LOL. He provided a parts list, and I priced everything for around $800 from BAM Wholesale Parts. Haven't decided if I'm doing this or not.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going from the 23 gal is much more costly from parts POV. It also should be mentioned dealers have recently been notified via bulletin not to perform this mod.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

emmittboys

Reaction score
I want too, what was the cost to make this happen?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
i was told the tank was $360 and they would do the install for $300. Just dropped truck off will let you know.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i was told the tank was $360 and they would do the install for $300. Just dropped truck off will let you know.
Hope you don't run into problems if they don't change the pump. Pump is different between 23 and 33 gal.

emmittboys

Reaction score
Hope you don't run into problems if they don't change the pump. Pump is different between 23 and 33 gal.

this is the same place i bought my truck from hopefully they would know that.

emmittboys

Reaction score
they just told me it wouldn't fit !!!! i found that strange they call me and told me they could do it and the prices. Im disappointed but what can i do. Live with it. I think its crazy that you sell a truck with a 23 gal fuel tank !!! But other than that i love the truck.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they just told me it wouldn't fit !!!! i found that strange they call me and told me they could do it and the prices. Im disappointed but what can i do. Live with it. I think its crazy that you sell a truck with a 23 gal fuel tank !!! But other than that i love the truck.
It'll fit. They just didn't want to put in the amount of work it would take to do it. The 26 to 33 gallon is relatively simple, the 23 to 33 takes a lot more effort.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
It'll fit. They just didn't want to put in the amount of work it would take to do it. The 26 to 33 gallon is relatively simple, the 23 to 33 takes a lot more effort.

This makes no sense….why would everything be so different?

Users who are viewing this thread