5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Change from P275 55r20 to either P275 60r20 or go to 18 inch wheels w/P275 65r18

rgberg

Reaction score
How is the noise level with the Falkens? Higher or lower than the Bridgestone?
Ended upgrading myself to the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W’s thanks in part to @ColoradoCub. No discernible difference in road noise from stock, although I had the Goodyear Fortitude’s not the Bridgestone’s. It is a little bit stiffer of a ride as expected with all terrain tires, although that’s what I tend to prefer. Goodyear’s were too soft of a ride in my opinion. Very happy with the purchase.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Mine being a 2WD the ride setup is different, but I may end up doing the Daystar spacer setup. I'm still interested in the OP's question, as which way to go...as far as 20s are concerned. I like the option for a taller tire for the look...

daberk

Reaction score
My truck is 100% stock and came with 275/55R20s. Am I correct in understanding that I could go to 275/60R20s with no rubbing? Is there a benefit to that other than looks?

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
My truck is 100% stock and came with 275/55R20s. Am I correct in understanding that I could go to 275/60R20s with no rubbing? Is there a benefit to that other than looks?
That has been my question as well because I am not going to 18 inch wheels. I would like just a "bit" more rubber so the P275/60R20 would do the trick. Haven't been able to get many detailed answers as to how the ride quality is, noise, and effect on MPG......

AndreiV

Reaction score
After forum feedback I have decided to use 275/60R20 when I replace OEM tires in 3-4 years from now. Can't justify to replace immediately as I have no real need. They should fit on stock suspension with no rubbing they give more rubber, slightly higher load rating, and slighly higher psi range rating.

rgberg

Reaction score
I went from 275/65R18 (32") to 275/60R20 (33") with no rubbing on stock coil suspension. I lost 1-1.5 mpg with the 1" diameter increase, but I also am driving the V6 so I cannot testify for those driving the V8. When selecting your tire, pay attention to the load rating and weight of the tire. You will lose more mpg with LT tires because in some cases they are 10lbs heavier per tire than XL or P rated tires.

With my tire swap, I lost 0.5" of sidewall and my drive is now less cushiony, but I also believe the driving experience on the stock 275/65R18's was too soft to begin with. That being said, if you are going from 275/55R20 to 275/60R20, you will be gaining an extra 0.5" of sidewall and your ride should be softer, although you may not be able to notice a significant difference. You can get a visual representation when comparing tire sizes using this tool: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Road noise will depend on what tire you get. A few models that I have read good user experiences for low road noise are Nitto Ridge Grappler, Hankook Dynapro AT2, Toyo Open Country AT2, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, BFGoodrich KO2 and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.

Last edited:

Bobcat4956

Reaction score
I went from 275/65R18 (32") to 275/60R20 (33") with no rubbing on stock coil suspension. I lost 1-1.5 mpg with the 1" diameter increase, but I also am driving the V6 so I cannot testify for those driving the V8. When selecting your tire, pay attention to the load rating and weight of the tire. You will lose more mpg with LT tires because in some cases they are 10lbs heavier per tire than XL or P rated tires.

With my tire swap, I lost 0.5" of sidewall and my drive is now less cushiony, but I also believe the driving experience on the stock 275/65R18's was too soft to begin with. That being said, if you are going from 275/55R20 to 275/60R20, you will be gaining an extra 0.5" of sidewall and your ride should be softer, although you may not be able to notice a significant difference. You can get a visual representation when comparing tire sizes using this tool: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Road noise will depend on what tire you get. A few models that I have read good user experiences for low road noise are Nitto Ridge Grappler, Hankook Dynapro AT2, Toyo Open Country AT2, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, BFGoodrich KO2 and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W.
What brand and type of tire did you switch to in the 275/60R20??? Was it a P rated tire and if so what brand, etc. Thanks so much for the input.

rgberg

Reaction score
What brand and type of tire did you switch to in the 275/60R20??? Was it a P rated tire and if so what brand, etc. Thanks so much for the input.
As long as you're not towing anything heavy, I would suggest staying within the SL/XL categories (115T-116T). I went with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W SL (115T) because the rated revolutions/mile and tire weights weren't as far off from my stock Goodyear's. Looks like you're driving the V8, so you don't so much have to worry about that. Had I been driving the V8, I would have gone with the 275/60R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler XL (116T) based off others satisfaction. But make sure they fall within your budget. The Nitto Ridge Grappler's can be $200 more expensive when you buy a set of 4. If you find the Nitto Ridge Grappler's too expensive, I would recommend the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W or the Hankook Dynapro AT2 in the 275/60R20 size.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
When I switch my tires in a few years I will be going with the BFGoodrich K02s. I have had a couple sets of them on my previous truck and love them. Will go with the largest that will fit without a lift, 33ish. I will also be sticking with the 18" wheels because the ride should stay optimal cushion and I like having a lot of side well. Heck, my last truck had 16" wheels and I thought those were fine. No need for me to throw some dubs on the truck. Although if I upgrade my wheels it seems there is less selection of 18's and who knows if they will clear the calipers. Combine that with me wanting chrome or polished wheels and selection gets smaller.

jshemmy

Reaction score
Is there a market place for a new set of Factory OWM rims for a ram 1500 Laramie 2019?
picking new truck this week and swapping out the factory rims for Dodge Mopar Beadlocks and tires.

just asking to see if there is a market for new non used OEM set up

Thanks

spaightlabs

Reaction score
Is there a market place for a new set of Factory OWM rims for a ram 1500 Laramie 2019?
picking new truck this week and swapping out the factory rims for Dodge Mopar Beadlocks and tires.

just asking to see if there is a market for new non used OEM set up

Thanks

My tire guy recommended if you have room to store them, put them on Craiglist and FB Marketplace as singles. As time goes by more folks will beat a wheel up on potholes/curbs/fender benders and buying a single from the dealer is a brutally expensive.

swarggs

Reaction score
My tire guy recommended if you have room to store them, put them on Craiglist and FB Marketplace as singles. As time goes by more folks will beat a wheel up on potholes/curbs/fender benders and buying a single from the dealer is a brutally expensive.

I tried this and sold 0 wheels as singles over a 6 month period. You may have better luck in a different area and as these trucks are out for longer. What wheel your selling will have an effect, too.

steveved

Reaction score
My wife picked up a nail in a rear tire of our 2019 Laramie last night. It came with the 275/55R20 Bridgestones. and I too think they suck. I am looking at getting 275/60R20 Continental TerrainContact A/Ts today or tomorrow. I ran these tires on my previous 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and loved those tire.

Since I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread, has anyone approached their dealer about changing the overall wheel/tire diameter in the computer to correct the speedometer? I had previously done this in an older truck, but it was a Chevrolet. So, not sure if Ram dealers can do this for you or are receptive to it.

Anyone know?

rgberg

Reaction score
My wife picked up a nail in a rear tire of our 2019 Laramie last night. It came with the 275/55R20 Bridgestones. and I too think they suck. I am looking at getting 275/60R20 Continental TerrainContact A/Ts today or tomorrow. I ran these tires on my previous 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and loved those tire.

Since I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread, has anyone approached their dealer about changing the overall wheel/tire diameter in the computer to correct the speedometer? I had previously done this in an older truck, but it was a Chevrolet. So, not sure if Ram dealers can do this for you or are receptive to it.

Anyone know?
I purchased and used the Rough Country Speedometer Calibrator. I've read on here that if you take your truck to the dealership for calibrating, they use the same device.

Mike1975

Reaction score
I just put 275/60r20 BFG KO2 on mine last week. I've enjoyed them immensely so far. Highway noise appears to me to be the same. 30-45 you do notice an uptick in noise. I suspect that will not be as noticeable in a couple 1000 miles.
Hi, Im looking to change out the stock tires to BFG KO2. Do you think you could have gone a little bigger. I have a 2020 big horn 4x4 with stock suspension non air ride and non off rode. I was hoping for 275/65R20 or 285/60R20. Any help would be greatly appricated.

jshemmy

Reaction score

Anyone know?
I just got my truck this week and swapped out the OEM 22" rims and tires for beadlocks mopar 275 65 r18 and they said speedo is fine because the diameter is exactly the same?

Seems to be true? Speedo fine. Now just wondering about the weight difference to see if it affects MPG
f14a98aa44ab72d901369dde76ad0816.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, Im looking to change out the stock tires to BFG KO2. Do you think you could have gone a little bigger. I have a 2020 big horn 4x4 with stock suspension non air ride and non off rode. I was hoping for 275/65R20 or 285/60R20. Any help would be greatly appricated.
275/65R20 may be a little tall for stock suspension. There are lots of people who have out 285/60R20 on stock without a problem.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Anyone know?
My dealer told me that they cannot change tire size in the computers. However, Hypertech and Rough Country (and I'm sure others) sell calibrators to flash tire size.

CKLEM55

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the stock duellers in 275/55/20 to the Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 275/60/20 and the ride is sooo good. I haven’t noticed a drop in my fuel mileage and the motor is running slightly lower rpms at 70. I’m happy

I know this is an old post, I’ve been searching the forum and can’t seem to find a concrete answer to my question. I’d like to put 275/70/18 on my truck with stock suspension (exact same tire with a smaller wheel). I know the height won’t be an issue, what I’m worried about is this width, I’d really like to get the falkens like you have but in that size the width is listed at 11” and the stock tires are 10.8” and there doesn’t seem to be much more than a fingers width between the inner sidewall of the tire and the upper control arm. Just curious if you had any issues with rubbing or not. Any feedback would be appreciated!

jshemmy

Reaction score
Well I've only had the truck for a few days right now, I see no problems but foing on a road trip right now

My dealership said I would have zero problems, I asked same question before I made the switch

I love the Falcwns, great reviews and quiet as well, smooth

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread