5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceramic Coating Cost

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure climate really matters. It is a ceramic and, whether you see extreme winters or hot summers, the ceramic itself should not be overly impacted. I think it has more to do with the quality of the ceramic chosen and the application than it does climate.
I just know that stark temp changes, and rotating cycles of heating, cooling, getting wet and drying messes *everything* up so I figured ceramic wouldn't be any different.

Cajun_

Reaction score
So how long does a good ceramic coating last?
Im reading about 2-3years.
I figured I would do ceramic, but if it only lasts 2 years it seems way too expensive.
It seems like maintenance coatings sprayed by me would extend the life of it some.

Honestly with all the hype about ceramic coating and the cost I assumed it lasted like 10yrs
you have a white truck. you dont need to go into the weeds with coatings and paint correction like we do with darker colors. If you have body color bumpers get that wrapped with some PPF and I also recommend the rocker panels to stop paint chips. Outside of that throw some P&S bead maker on your paint and add a tiny amount every you wash as a drying aid. Will be cheaper and still give you the hydrophobic properties and easier cleaning. A simple ceramic coating would work as well. Gyeon evo would be best if you want to apply yourself.

jzinckgra

Reaction score
Dumb question, but if you ceramic coat, do you need to wax anymore until you get it coated again?

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Dumb question, but if you ceramic coat, do you need to wax anymore until you get it coated again?
You shouldnt use wax over it, but there are ceramic sprays and maintenance coatings of Si02 you can add here and there to extend the life.

Cajun_

Reaction score
It's not that you don't need to. You actually can't wax over a good ceramic coating. The wax won't be able to stick to the paint and will just be streaky.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hence the reason "this guy" won't "try this at home". Too many types of ceramic coating products. Some only sold to professionals. Prep work is key and takes patience. Not in my wheelhouse. I'm going to a detailing professional.
Nor in my wheelhouse. Just met with my ceramic guy yesterday and setup an appointment as soon as I get the truck home. Yeah it’s expensive but well worth it to know it’s done correctly. I do not have any idea what results I would get if I tried it myself!

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Nor in my wheelhouse. Just met with my ceramic guy yesterday and setup an appointment as soon as I get the truck home. Yeah it’s expensive but well worth it to know it’s done correctly. I do not have any idea what results I would get if I tried it myself!
Did he give you an idea how long it should last? When it would need done again?

Chunk

Reaction score
I’ve done ceramic on a previous ride (non-Ram) and it looked great….right until a wrong-way driver t-boned me. I have a Ram in order and am considering ppf or ceramic. If I do both, which would be first

Cajun_

Reaction score
I’ve done ceramic on a previous ride (non-Ram) and it looked great….right until a wrong-way driver t-boned me. I have a Ram in order and am considering ppf or ceramic. If I do both, which would be first
You can't put ppf ontop of ceramic coating. If you did the coating first then you would need to buff the coating off then put the ppf on then recoat.

bocco

Reaction score
I used Meguiar's Hybrid coating and did it myself. My truck was still fairly new so I didn't do a lot of paint correction. Once over with Meguiar's ultra pro polish. And then the coating. It is claimed to last a year but it didn't cost $1500.00 dollars. Less than $100.00. Time and temperature is important but not that difficult.

I don't mind doing this because I enjoy it. I don't like mowing the lawn so I pay to get that done.

They claim one year and so far it is holding up well. If I repeat the process in a year I'm OK with that.

Water just falls off of it when I wash it and spotting is much less of a problem.

If Meguiar's is true to form they will have a new and better product when I ready fir the next coating and I will try that.

20211008_090611.jpg

Cajun_

Reaction score
I used Meguiar's Hybrid coating and did it myself. My truck was still fairly new so I didn't do a lot of paint correction. Once over with Meguiar's ultra pro polish. And then the coating. It is claimed to last a year but it didn't cost $1500.00 dollars. Less than $100.00. Time and temperature is important but not that difficult.

I don't mind doing this because I enjoy it. I don't like mowing the lawn so I pay to get that done.

They claim one year and so far it is holding up well. If I repeat the process in a year I'm OK with that.

Water just falls off of it when I wash it and spotting is much less of a problem.

If Meguiar's is true to form they will have a new and better product when I ready fir the next coating and I will try that.

View attachment 119905
Thats not a ceramic coating its a poly sealant.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Exactly...not a true ceramic coating as we know it. To compare this product to a $1500 ceramic coat job is apples to watermelons!

You can get quality real ceramic coatings for less than $100 that you can apply.

The $1500 coatings being discussed here include a paint correction and application of the coating by a business. The actually coating they use isn’t $1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can get quality real ceramic coatings for less than $100 that you can apply.

The $1500 coatings being discussed here include a paint correction and application of the coating by a business. The actually coating they use isn’t $1500

You don't have to tell me my friend...I fully get it! I do ceramic coatings myself in my garage. I buy real high-quality ceramic for about $69 a bottle. It is also very easy to paint correct yourself, if it's truly necessary, as long as you have a polisher and a good quality polish. If you bought everything you needed to do an awesome ceramic coating, you'd be looking at under a $250 investment and that includes a high-quality polisher at about $150. Yes, it takes time and some say their time is worth more than paying someone $1500+ to do it. Personally, I like taking pride in my vehicles and know I will do a far better job, and will be more anal, than some guy getting paid $15-$20 to ceramic coat my truck who won't care if it's perfect or not. If folks truly understood how easy this is, you would never pay someone crazy $$$ to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread