5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Center Console Light Not Working

CaliRebel

Reaction score
The other day I noticed the little light in the center console (under the flipup armrest) started to flicker when I had it open.
At first, I thought it burnt out but I realized that wasn't the case when I pulled the light out and hooked it up to a different source of power. It worked fine...
So my next thought was maybe a fuse. But I cant imagine there being one specific fuse for such a small light. All my other interior lights work fine.
Now what i'm thinking is maybe a bad switch that triggers the light to turn on when the center console is flipped open??
Does anybody know how these lights work and if there is a "switch" somewhere that makes it turn on when the console is opened?
Thanks!

AddWhiskey

Reaction score
Having a similar issue with our 19 Longhorn, except mine will flicker when the lid is on its way up but stays off with the lid fully open. Was hoping to do a little pre-research before digging in tonight, figure out what style switch is used and location of the mechanism. I'll let you know what I find.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the trouble you’re experiencing. If you decide to address this concern with your certified Ram dealer, please feel free to send us a private message. We would be happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

Tony3915

Reaction score
Any solution yet? Mine did the same thing , I dont wanna start pulling things apart if there is a simple solution!

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Update: Not only the center console light, but my rambox lights, visor lights, and glove compartment light dont work at all.
Went on a fuse hunt and couldn't find any popped fuses. Just made an appointment with my local dealer to get it sorted out.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Update regarding my issue:
The dealer found the culprit and have new wiring on order for my truck. I guess the center console light are connected with the other lights I mentioned, causing them to all fail when the shortage occurred. Parts are on order...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 5.01.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 5.01.23 PM.png
    674.2 KB · Views: 78

CaliRebel

Reaction score
I finally got the parts installed and everything is working as it should.
The tech found the wires were being chaffed on some sharp edges on the armrest hinge.
New armrest and new wiring fixed the issue.

machini4

Reaction score
The other day I noticed the little light in the center console (under the flipup armrest) started to flicker when I had it open.
At first, I thought it burnt out but I realized that wasn't the case when I pulled the light out and hooked it up to a different source of power. It worked fine...
So my next thought was maybe a fuse. But I cant imagine there being one specific fuse for such a small light. All my other interior lights work fine.
Now what i'm thinking is maybe a bad switch that triggers the light to turn on when the center console is flipped open??
Does anybody know how these lights work and if there is a "switch" somewhere that makes it turn on when the console is opened?
Thanks!
How did you remove and reinstall the light? They didn't include the light with my truck and I want to install one. Do you have to take apart the armrest?

CaliRebel

Reaction score
How did you remove and reinstall the light? They didn't include the light with my truck and I want to install one. Do you have to take apart the armrest?
Yes, you need to remove the underside of the armrest and it will give you access to the light.
Not hard to do, took me a few minutes to look at it and figure out how it comes apart.

machini4

Reaction score
Yes, you need to remove the underside of the armrest and it will give you access to the light.
Not hard to do, took me a few minutes to look at it and figure out how it comes apart.
Thanks! I was able to install it pretty quickly, looks great!

machini4

Reaction score
Does your light stay on all the time? I thought it would turn off when I close the armrest. Not a big deal, was just curious.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Does your light stay on all the time? I thought it would turn off when I close the armrest. Not a big deal, was just curious.
Yea it's supposed to turn off when you shut the armrest. I'm starting to wonder if thats the reason why they pulled the light out lol. Did you buy your truck new or used?

machini4

Reaction score
Yea it's supposed to turn off when you shut the armrest. I'm starting to wonder if thats the reason why they pulled the light out lol. Did you buy your truck new or used?
Hmm that’s interesting, I bought it new. I went through the build sheet and they deleted the light, there was actually a dummy light installed in its place.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Hmm that’s interesting, I bought it new. I went through the build sheet and they deleted the light, there was actually a dummy light installed in its place.

Sounds like Ram is having supply issues for that light. When I was dealing with my issue, I tried to order one of the lights but they canceled the order and told me the lights are back ordered with no telling when they'll come in. Thankfully they cancelled it because the light itself wasn't my issue lol, it was the harness.

But in your case, it sounds like they put in a different harness that doesn't properly disengage the light when the console is shut. I might be wrong though, I hardly know anything about electrical lol

machini4

Reaction score
Sounds like Ram is having supply issues for that light. When I was dealing with my issue, I tried to order one of the lights but they canceled the order and told me the lights are back ordered with no telling when they'll come in. Thankfully they cancelled it because the light itself wasn't my issue lol, it was the harness.

But in your case, it sounds like they put in a different harness that doesn't properly disengage the light when the console is shut. I might be wrong though, I hardly know anything about electrical lol

Yeah supply issues make sense. Maybe I messed something up when installing it, I’ll take another look at it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread