5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cell phone won't charge

Gardner

Reaction score
OK, was on a weekend overnight trip, only took one phone charger. Both (wife & mine) phones dying at midnight. She used our single charger inside the hotel, I decided to use my new Ram parked outside. I know about the "key" symbol so after experimenting with the various usb ports, tried the #2 USB. The port "lit up" and the phone indicated charging in progress. Next morning, phone indicated same charge % as the night before. It apparently did not work at all. Is this normal? Can't charge phones with ignition off?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019 Bighorn Crew cab, 4x4, 3.21 rear and the usual standard stuff. Build date was 11/18.
Options: Delmonico Red, Cloth buckets, level 2 equip package (8.4 in screen and other stuff).
5.7 Hemi, Ram SS running boards and also, an after market American tonneau fabric cover.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One thing I think you can do if you want this functionality is make your “cigarette lighter” 12v port on your dash “always hot”. You can do this by moving a fuse over to a “jumpered position” in the fuse box in the engine bay. It use to be f90-91 and you would just move the fuse over one pin slot. Not sure if the fuse layout is the same. I have to grab a diagram. But essentially this would make that cigarette lighter always on even with the ignition off. Then you can use one of those cheap cigarette lighter/usb converters and then always be able to charge your phone even with the ignition off.

Gardner

Reaction score
One thing I think you can do if you want this functionality is make your “cigarette lighter” 12v port on your dash “always hot”. You can do this by moving a fuse over to a “jumpered position” in the fuse box in the engine bay. It use to be f90-91 and you would just move the fuse over one pin slot. Not sure if the fuse layout is the same. I have to grab a diagram. But essentially this would make that cigarette lighter always on even with the ignition off. Then you can use one of those cheap cigarette lighter/usb converters and then always be able to charge your phone even with the ignition off.

Thanks, I will give it a try.......

Users who are viewing this thread