5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CD Player Modification

Millertime157

Reaction score
For those that no longer use CD’s, has anyone removed the factory CD player just above the wireless charger and replaced it with something more useful? I no longer have any CD’s and do not ever see myself using it. Would be cool to use that spot for something else I think. Just not sure what.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Other than a storage slot, IF the player could be removed cleanly, what else are you thinking would go there? It's a pretty tight spot, and I kinda thought they did a great job using that space that would probably otherwise be dead space for the addition of a CD player, even though, like you, I don't use CD's anymore either.

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
Maybe upfitter switches could go in it's place would be a good spot I would think or if you could get the CD player to play dvds for a rear entertainment system for the kiddos

RAM#2

Reaction score
For those that no longer use CD’s, has anyone removed the factory CD player just above the wireless charger and replaced it with something more useful? I no longer have any CD’s and do not ever see myself using it. Would be cool to use that spot for something else I think. Just not sure what.

I honestly think that the addition / return of the CD Player is a Great Thing. When I bought my 2013 Ram my dealer gave me a DVD that was supposed to give me a full run through on everything that my new Big Horn the awesome machine that she was and still is 225K miles later - yet for the life of me I could not find the player in the truck anywhere. This led to a pretty good discussion / banter effort between me and my salesman who swore up and down that there was a player in my truck...…… I never did get to watch that DVD and we still laugh about it. For those of us who are not 100% up on technology to include streaming music and such, the CD player is a great!!!

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I honestly think that the addition / return of the CD Player is a Great Thing. When I bought my 2013 Ram my dealer gave me a DVD that was supposed to give me a full run through on everything that my new Big Horn the awesome machine that she was and still is 225K miles later - yet for the life of me I could not find the player in the truck anywhere. This led to a pretty good discussion / banter effort between me and my salesman who swore up and down that there was a player in my truck...…… I never did get to watch that DVD and we still laugh about it. For those of us who are not 100% up on technology to include streaming music and such, the CD player is a great!!!
I had a 12 ram, look behind the radio, the CD player was there.... there was a button to make the screen open

RAM#2

Reaction score
I had a 12 ram, look behind the radio, the CD player was there.... there was a button to make the screen open
Nope - RAM started shipping a ton of trucks out without CD / DVD players as a cost savings... It didn't kill me but I did find it quite odd and flat and cheep considering what I paid for the truck.

Blee2221

Reaction score
I used the cd slot for upfitter switches using a feniex 4200 mini and a cd slot phone holder since I will never use the cd player. Lol. Feniex uses a ball mount and the phone holder I found uses the same size ball. Works great for my needs.

64404F64-6E05-4433-8100-AED0BE8B355D.jpeg 6DC5986D-B458-485E-B7BB-7BA0C1C0897C.jpeg F5B7231E-4093-4D1D-98CE-02F9665D4D0C.jpeg 99F760C9-A140-4EC4-8712-3A67E67672E0.jpeg 7ACF2D95-57BD-4EC5-8414-E029DD5384C2.jpeg

Ickabod

Reaction score

Ickabod

Reaction score
It is? Is it a changer? Haven't seen one under a seat in a while... Plus you have a Laramie, you have the ventilation ducts under there...
No, it is not a changer, but a single disc. It is not under the driver's seat, but the middle seat (I have a front bench seat).
28993 28994

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heck, I use my CD player. Yeah, I got the latest iPhone, hard drives and USB sticks full of media. But when you want sound quality over convenience, you gotta go CD.

Plus, it’s the only way to get continuous mix albums to play correctly without gaps and in the right order. For me, that’s Pink Floyd, Paul van Dyk, and various trance/rave mixes :giggle:

On the subject of mods, I’d like to wire in a changer!

Mikey ABQ

Reaction score
How about a SSD drive . for about $100 you could get a 1 TB drive. That is assuming it is a SATA interface behind the drive. I rip all my CDs and store them. Then put the files on a hard drive. I rip them at a Lossless data rate (highest quality) Separate folders for each band, separate folders for each album each having a playlist file in the folder. I then creat my own "Favorites" play lists and add them to a Misc folder. Having my entire music collection in my truck would be awesome.

MLB12

Reaction score
Has anyone on the Forum tried to reftrofit a CD player into a 2021, specifically any model with the 12" display? Like many others here I prefer CDs over anything else. Old-fashioned, certainly? But user friendly for all us old guys.

rah6887

Reaction score
Just burn an mp3 CD with 90 or so of your favorite songs, and put it to use.
Never can wrong with an optional music source.

MLB12

Reaction score
Just burn an mp3 CD with 90 or so of your favorite songs, and put it to use.
Never can wrong with an optional music source.
Thanks for you thoughts on that, but I'm trying to avoid doing the ripping from a CD to any of the alternate digital modes, but I may be forced to.

Users who are viewing this thread