5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CD Player Modification

Skirmish

Reaction score
Has anyone on the Forum tried to reftrofit a CD player into a 2021, specifically any model with the 12" display? Like many others here I prefer CDs over anything else. Old-fashioned, certainly? But user friendly for all us old guys.
I just bought a '21 Limited yesterday not realizing the CD player had been replaced with a storage pocket/cubby...I, too, would like the option of playing a CD occasionally and wondered the same thing MLB12. Looks like the Mopar CD players (part 68335565AB) can be had on-line for about a hundred bucks, just not sure if the wiring harness will be found tucked/taped behind the console for easy plug-and-play. The part description says it for a 2019-2020 but maybe the compatibility description just hasn't been updated for the 2021s?

MLB12

Reaction score
Great! A fellow CD person........

I had actually found the same part number, and am also wondering if the harness is there to simply plug into the CD player itself. But, and this is the big one, as with most things Mother MOPAR you have to have any option such as this(may be?) programmed in so that the truck not only 'sees' the player, but will also let the player talk to the truck's AV system. This is key, otherwise the device will just sit there and do nothing.

My 10th Anniversary Longhorn isn't scheduled to land at my dealer until mid-late February, but I'm going to talk to the service manager to see what he can find out. I'll keep you posted.

Skirmish

Reaction score
I appreciate that, MLB12 - I called a couple of the Mopar vendors and two dealerships' service departments. Standard response is basically "if it doesn't say the part is for a 2021 then it probably won't work" but have no basis for actually knowing that it won't work. One service rep said they have never installed one in any model year truck and did not know if the harness was still there in the '21s. He also said that the system would have to be "reflashed" to the tune of $150 for the player to be recognized. I really would like to add the Mopar CD player and can do the install myself but hesitant to buy a $100 part that can't be returned because it is considered electrical...might just have to remove the center console (which is not too difficult thanks to YouTube) and see if that harness is present and go from there...

MLB12

Reaction score
I appreciate that, MLB12 - I called a couple of the Mopar vendors and two dealerships' service departments. Standard response is basically "if it doesn't say the part is for a 2021 then it probably won't work" but have no basis for actually knowing that it won't work. One service rep said they have never installed one in any model year truck and did not know if the harness was still there in the '21s. He also said that the system would have to be "reflashed" to the tune of $150 for the player to be recognized. I really would like to add the Mopar CD player and can do the install myself but hesitant to buy a $100 part that can't be returned because it is considered electrical...might just have to remove the center console (which is not too difficult thanks to YouTube) and see if that harness is present and go from there...
Here's a bit more information for you to digest.

The part number for the CD player that is in the '19s(DT series not DS) is 68335565AB, that supersedes 68335565AA, and they're available in numerous places from $90.00-140.00 USD, so price and availability is there. I haven't had a chance to compare the two(2) openings between the '19, 20, and the '21 to see if they are in fact the same dimensions and shape. I suspect so, but I'm not assuming that either. I can't see them being different, but who knows?

The next item is the wiring. It's very possible there isn't a pre-existing harness to plug into the CD player. In looking at the 52 pin connector for the '19 vs the '20 and '21, pin(circuits) cavities 7, 8, & 9, aren't even populated, so that would have to be changed by adding those pins in, so not a real big deal.

Where the unknown is concerned is the dealer is correct about reflashing the truck, but I must say $150.00 strikes me as a bit of highway robbery. Around here more often than not it's $50.00-75.00, sometimes even no charge. But I digress.

Flashing IS NOT a simple given. In the background the VIN has to identify whether or not a particular option can be flashed in, say when installing the factory trailer brake controller, or adding in driving lights, etc. If the option isn't there all the attempts at flashing in the world won't make it happen. I currently have my dealer service manager checking to see if it is doable. I may not know for a few day, but once I find out I'll let you know.

MLB12

Reaction score
I've just talked to my dealer service manager who used his factory connections, and as of this point in time there is no ability to flash the truck to see a CD player. For the time being all of us who like to remain old school and use CDs are SOL. So, ripping to an SD card or thumb drive is apparently in our future. Either that or use an aftermarket CD player that plugs into the one of the USB ports for power and input. That's not going to happen for this cowboy. I'll break down and get a ripping program. At least my '21 isn't due to land until mid-February so that gives me lots of time to start moving music to SD cards.

Daverous

Reaction score
Haven't checked the pins on the 21 console harness but my gut tells me they're identical to my 20 since nothing was added to it for 21. Also not sure if the new "pocket" is built in or not as my 20 came without it. If so you'd have to grab the front section where the phone holder goes.
You can grab the center console harness for a cd unit new or used, still. Runs about 70 bucks new. Takes all of an hour to remove the console, swap the harness, and install the cd player. Then flip on "external disc" with alfaobd and you're set.
Haven't done it in a 21 but did do it on my 20 while I was in there and it was quick and easy.

MLB12

Reaction score
Haven't checked the pins on the 21 console harness but my gut tells me they're identical to my 20 since nothing was added to it for 21. Also not sure if the new "pocket" is built in or not as my 20 came without it. If so you'd have to grab the front section where the phone holder goes.
You can grab the center console harness for a cd unit new or used, still. Runs about 70 bucks new. Takes all of an hour to remove the console, swap the harness, and install the cd player. Then flip on "external disc" with alfaobd and you're set.
Haven't done it in a 21 but did do it on my 20 while I was in there and it was quick and easy.
This is great information you've provided, so Thanks very much, but there are just a couple of things that I seem to be missing, so if you could fill in the blanks with a bit more detail, I'm sure there'll be some happy campers here, so here goes;

1)you mention the centre console harness. Where does the console come into this given the CD player in the DTs, at least the '19s , have the CD player in the dash, just above the charging section?
2)I'm not familiar with the AlfaObd, but in finding their website and reading through it there seems to be a number of disclaimers about not being able to get into various places due to blocking software. Then they launch into making changes to a Zauto device. And there are notes about the AlfaOBD being only applicable up tp the '18 model year. Perhaps you could enlighten me a bit? I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.

Daverous

Reaction score
The section that includes the cd player is actually part of the center console, which removes with six 10mm bolts. I know it looks like it's part of the dash, however the way it comes apart includes it in the center console. Hate to link to infotainment but it shows what I'm talking about and where the cd player actually bolts to:
https://www.infotainment.com/produc...e-wireless-charger-kit?variant=31754595663908

2nd, alfaobd works just fine with our DT trucks. There's a long list of what people have done further up in the modifications section. They mentioned 2018 because fca went to a security gateway system, which requires a cheap bypass cable to be able to plug into the obd port. The simple answer as to what it does is it allows you to toggle factory options on and off in the bcm. It's the same thing a dealer does when installing things like bedlights, or power mirrors, it just cost a boat load less and you can do it at home any time you want. Fantastic software and worth every penny and then some.

Last edited:

redneck

Reaction score
i havent got my 2021 yet its on order but i have a dell add on cd-dvd player for a desktop computer that is powered & sends a signal thru a usb cable. it works in my 17 gmc denali could this be pluged it to the usb? would the play & fast forward commands pop up on the 12' screen? just a thought . if anyone is close to sw florida we could give it a try or i will have to wait 8 weeks to let you know if it can work in the 2021 ram

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
i havent got my 2021 yet its on order but i have a dell add on cd-dvd player for a desktop computer that is powered & sends a signal thru a usb cable. it works in my 17 gmc denali could this be pluged it to the usb? would the play & fast forward commands pop up on the 12' screen? just a thought . if anyone is close to sw florida we could give it a try or i will have to wait 8 weeks to let you know if it can work in the 2021 ram
My guess is that if you use an external CD player plugged into a USB port, you will get ZERO feedback or control over your CD player on your 12" screen.

RSZ

Reaction score
I don't understand all the effort to get a CD player. There are numerous free software solutions to rip CD's and USB sticks or even SSD drives are cheap. 500GB SSD could fit close to 1000 CD's in FLAC.

MLB12

Reaction score
The section that includes the cd player is actually part of the center console, which removes with six 10mm bolts. I know it looks like it's part of the dash, however the way it comes apart includes it in the center console. Hate to link to infotainment but it shows what I'm talking about and where the cd player actually bolts to:
https://www.infotainment.com/produc...e-wireless-charger-kit?variant=31754595663908

2nd, alfaobd works just fine with our DT trucks. There's a long list of what people have done further up in the modifications section. They mentioned 2018 because fca went to a security gateway system, which requires a cheap bypass cable to be able to plug into the obd port. The simple answer as to what it does is it allows you to toggle factory options on and off in the bcm. It's the same thing a dealer does when installing things like bedlights, or power mirrors, it just cost a boat load less and you can do it at home any time you want. Fantastic software and worth every penny and then some.

More great info to work with. I just went and looked at my '19 and there it is, the CD housing is indeed all a part of the console trim panels. It's amazing when you look closely rather than just making an assumption!

Further to the console, in your first post you had mentioned getting ones hands on the console wiring. Given you've already done this, did you happen to make note of the part number for that harness? And I presume using that harness that you re-pinned the main 52-pin connector(68225148AA) into Ports 8,9, & 10?

Thanks for the clarification on the AlfaOBD. So that's just the software but which actual OBD 'connector' did you purchase to use with it?

Again, all help provided for this neophyte will be appreciated.

MLB12

Reaction score
I don't understand all the effort to get a CD player. There are numerous free software solutions to rip CD's and USB sticks or even SSD drives are cheap. 500GB SSD could fit close to 1000 CD's in FLAC.

I guess the easiest and most direct answer would be is that I am comfortable with CD technology and it's ease of use. Call me a fossil, or old-school, or whatever you wish, but CDs are just my preference, and there are numerous members of this forum, plus other forums, who support that thought.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess the easiest and most direct answer would be is that I am comfortable with CD technology and it's ease of use. Call me a fossil, or old-school, or whatever you wish, but CDs are just my preference, and there are numerous members of this forum, plus other forums, who support that thought.
Canada always was 10+ years behind the US 😂

Daverous

Reaction score
More great info to work with. I just went and looked at my '19 and there it is, the CD housing is indeed all a part of the console trim panels. It's amazing when you look closely rather than just making an assumption!

Further to the console, in your first post you had mentioned getting ones hands on the console wiring. Given you've already done this, did you happen to make note of the part number for that harness? And I presume using that harness that you re-pinned the main 52-pin connector(68225148AA) into Ports 8,9, & 10?

Thanks for the clarification on the AlfaOBD. So that's just the software but which actual OBD 'connector' did you purchase to use with it?

Again, all help provided for this neophyte will be appreciated.
Can't give you an exact harness number unless you list your full options sir. The harness includes things like vented/heated rear seats, rear USB, rear inverter, ambient lighting, and the like. Each option list is a different harness. The one I used with rear heated, inverter, USB, may not match yours.

Repin wasn't needed for me. I plugged in and switched on with alfaobd and was good to go.

I will say this, all of my parts were acquired for a different project. I probably wouldnt have gone through the effort if I didn't already have them, as little as that effort was. USB/streaming is just way easier and I honestly haven't used the player other than to test its functionality. That being said, it's as close to plug and play as these new trucks get.

Last edited:

MLB12

Reaction score
Can't give you an exact harness number unless you list your full options sir. The harness includes things like vented/heated rear seats, rear USB, rear inverter, ambient lighting, and the like. Each option list is a different harness. The one I used with rear heated, inverter, USB, may not match yours.

Repin wasn't needed for me. I plugged in and switched on with alfaobd and was good to go.

I will say this, all of my parts were acquired for a different project. I probably wouldnt have gone through the effort if I didn't already have them, as little as that effort was. USB/streaming is just way easier and I honestly haven't used the player other than to test its functionality. That being said, it's as close to plug and play as these new trucks get.

My new truck will have the rear heated/ventilated seats, invertor, and the USB ports so this gives me something to go on. Last thing for this evening-which OBD plug do you use with the AlfaOBD software?

Daverous

Reaction score
I think the part number is 68362134AC for those options. Please verify with a dealer before purchase since I don't know for sure.

I use a obd mx+. Its proven to work with all features and I've been using their products for years now. The bypass cable can be found on Amazon. If you have a minute check out the alfaobd thread. Tons of info on what it can do and people's personal equipment choices. It's a good read.

MLB12

Reaction score
I think the part number is 68362134AC for those options. Please verify with a dealer before purchase since I don't know for sure.

I use a obd mx+. Its proven to work with all features and I've been using their products for years now. The bypass cable can be found on Amazon. If you have a minute check out the alfaobd thread. Tons of info on what it can do and people's personal equipment choices. It's a good read.

Thanks for the harness part number, I've just sent it off to my dealer parts lady to get her to confirm that it is compatible with my hopefully soon to arrive 2021.

I've been onto the OBDLink website, so based on your recommendation with respect to your use and success, I'm going to get it ordered as soon as I get the harness compatibility confirmed. Where does the bypass cable come into it play? And does the OBDMX+ have to be left plugged in, or is it just plugged in to facilitate the programming changes?

I'll dig into the AlfaOBD thread as you've suggested.

I'm thinking that with a bunch of us, like me and being an old school guy not being up to date on how to use the newer technologies, we need a tutorial set up for a bit of instruction on how to use all these new-fangled 'things'.

Swicago

Reaction score
I found this part number to be the harness for the single disc player for 2020 models 68438659AA

Users who are viewing this thread