5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAUGHT: Ram 1500 Rebel TRX Prototypes Hit The Dunes:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram's Raptor-Killer Hits The Sand, For Testing Off-Road...

20190624_155359.jpg

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tyrannosaurus rex staking its claim to the dinosaur world.

I am really excited to see this truck, but more excited to see what it does for the Rebel Subbrand and how it all affects the Powerwagon.

Great time to be a truck guy

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tyrannosaurus rex staking its claim to the dinosaur world.

I am really excited to see this truck, but more excited to see what it does for the Rebel Subbrand and how it all affects the Powerwagon.

Great time to be a truck guy

LOL. I agree. More pictures and video coming this weekend.

Last edited:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
VIDEO: Rebel TRX Prototypes Tackle Silver Lake Sand Dunes:
Watch The HELLCAT-Powered Off-Road Take On The Sand...

InShot_20190629_190137815_1.gif

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One DEMON TRX ram.....:devilish:

View attachment 30160

Not so sure I believe all that...

40 is a ridiculous number of test mules for a specialty truck..., I doubt they had 40 test mules for the DT project itself.

There's been spy shots of many black test mules, wearing different fascias, and one red mule with a big horn grille as well, but no white trucks been caught, (as far as I know).

The trucks, no matter what anyone here tells you, were not designed for the amount of horsepower and torque the Hellcat and Demon motors put out. And those motors were not designed for truck duty cycles either. It sounds fun, but I highly doubt we'll see anything from the existing Hellcat under the hood, let alone the Demon. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, a de-tuned Hellcat engine. More likely, IF there's a new engine, it will be a 392 or 6.4L (yeah, I know, same engine, but one's from the cars and one is from the HD trucks).

IF ZF was working on a 10 spd auto, we'd have heard about it by now. Same for if Ram was working on it's own in house design. If they didn't develop a 10 spd for the HDs, then there isn't going to be one for a specialty 1500, regardless of power. And they're definitely not going to redesign the center console on a handful of trucks to accommodate a completely new shifter design for a low production vehicle with a transmission that doesn't exist... The old DS trucks had the provision for a console shifter, as that's what they came with pre-2013.5, and is also what is in the REBEL TRX Concept vehicle.

I don't mean to rain on the parade and all, but that Instagram post just screams bs, flat out lies, and clickbait. Not to mention is shows the OLD TRX concept vehicle, never mind an actual DT based test mule or prototype.

Last edited:

Caballonegro

Reaction score
Not so sure I believe all that...

40 is a ridiculous number of test mules for a specialty truck..., I doubt they had 40 test mules for the DT project itself.

There's been spy shots of many black test mules, wearing different fascias, and one red mule with a big horn grille as well, but no white trucks been caught, (as far as I know).

The trucks, no matter what anyone here tells you, were not designed for the amount of horsepower and torque the Hellcat and Demon motors put out. And those motors were not designed for truck duty cycles either. It sounds fun, but I highly doubt we'll see anything from the existing Hellcat under the hood, let alone the Demon. Maybe, and it's a big maybe, a de-tuned Hellcat engine. More likely, IF there's a new engine, it will be a 392 or 6.4L (yeah, I know, same engine, but one's from the cars and one is from the HD trucks).

IF ZF was working on a 10 spd auto, we'd have heard about it by now. Same for if Ram was working on it's own in house design. If they didn't develop a 10 spd for the HDs, then there isn't going to be one for a specialty 1500, regardless of power. And they're definitely not going to redesign the center console on a handful of trucks to accommodate a completely new shifter design for a low production vehicle with a transmission that doesn't exist... The old DS trucks had the provision for a console shifter, as that's what they came with pre-2013.5, and is also what is in the REBEL TRX Concept vehicle.

I don't mean to rain on the parade and all, but that Instagram post just screams bs, flat out lies, and clickbait. Not to mention is shows the OLD TRX concept vehicle, never mind an actual DT based test mule or prototype.

No need to take it serious, it clearly says SOURCE....meaning it is probably not true. It was thrown up for conversation.

rbnaslt

Reaction score
Ram's Raptor-Killer Hits The Sand, For Testing Off-Road...

View attachment 28888

What are those wheels and Tires?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Those were not TRX's in the form of the TRX prototype or the older Ram PreRunner package. Those had long-arm front suspension, long-travel rear (although not with longer arms or a three-link), 35" or in the TRX 37" tires. They aren't raised or minimally so (less than 2"). Their height and ground clearance increase because of the height of the tires. They clear the big tires by using wider, higher FRM or carbon fiber fenders (which are already available for FiberworX).

This one seems to have been raised to clear 35" tires with a nearly cosmetic wheel lip. More a lift kit than a TRX.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One DEMON TRX ram.....:devilish:

View attachment 30160

Ok, there is some truth to that and some of it is way off. According to my sources at the place that manufactured the prototypes for FCA, there was original 17 to be built and they built 21 of them. One of them does in fact have a 797 horsepower "Demon" HELLCAT Redeye engine. However, it is purely for feedback. The rest are all equipped with a 707 horsepower variant of the HELLCAT HEMI V8. A 10-Speed Automatic will not be used, FCA loves their ZF-sourced 8-speeds, expect a ZF HP95 transmission to be the one they use. As for the shifter, as far as I know a traditional shifter was in the cards, but knowing Ram to change things the TRX might go with the Rotary.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's going to make an appearance at the Texas State Fair this week(end)? Would seem appropriate as that's where the concept debuted, but haven't heard anything about any press conferences or anything.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's going to make an appearance at the Texas State Fair this week(end)? Would seem appropriate as that's where the concept debuted, but haven't heard anything about any press conferences or anything.

No.

plimmy

Reaction score
Love the rim and tire setup.. Any one have an idea on rim and tire size? haha (on the black proto's)

Users who are viewing this thread