5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can for the ecoDiesel without throwing codes?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The actual catchcan is easy to bolt in. There's a small pump located in front of the engine. Unbolt the driver's side, loosen the passenger side. Slide the catchcan mounting bracket under the driver's side mount. Reinstall bolt through the pump mount, through the catchcan bracket and into its captive nut. Tighten.

This is a picture looking down at it in its mounted location:

Catchcan 10 noted.jpg

With it in place, and the 3" extension piece already fitted, I placed the PCV hose against the catchcan outlet fitting. I marked the cut location. Snip. Then I slid the outlet piece into the hose.

The piece to the left, that comes out of the crankcase oil separator, rotates. So, spin it 90 degrees and push it into the catchcan inlet fitting. See below:

Catchcan 11 noted.jpg

With some screw clamps in place, the only thing left to do is to relocate the sensor, circled in red to the catchcan, red box. T&S includes a small plug, with gasket and bolt hole, to put in place of the sensor.

The sensor hole on the catchcan is TIGHT. This is the ONLY criticism I have. I should have used my calipers to measure the factory hole and compare it to the catchcan. I got the sensor in, but it wasn't pretty. (I broke some plastic on the sensor. Totally my fault.) So, if you're going to do this. check that catchcan hole. If it's off, it's just a few thou's. I quick ream would've done the job.

Shrug. My sensor is in, and it works.

The drain is at the bottom of the catchcan with a petcock ball valve. I installed a barbed fitting, dropped a fuel-rated line down, zip-tied it as needed, and put another petcock ball-valve on the bottom. To drain the oil from the catchcan, I'll open the top ball-valve, then the bottom one. When done, I'll close both. The bottom one is just to keep any residual oil in the hose from dripping.

Here's an angled shot to show where I have it located. The perspective is off: the valve does not hang below the lower bumper. It is tucked away, out of sight.

Catchcan 13.jpg

Final pic, full install, all done.

Catchcan 14.jpg

Total time was 2 hours. Half of that were those pinch clamps, in back. About 30 minutes was the sensor on top of the catchcan. (In the pic above, you can see a white circle on the sensor. That was due to me snapping off a cover. I've since repaired that. The sensor is fine.)

(Also, in the pic above, there are some other minor differences other then putting the sensor cover on: I turned the one screw clamp near the outflow side so it's not near the engine shroud and easier to access in the future. As well, I've placed a few washers under the sensor bolt so the sensor sits level on the catchcan.)

I've driven about 500 miles with it installed and there is no check engine light.

If you want an oil catchcan for your ecoDiesel, I give T&S Speedshop my best recommendation. This is the cat's meow. ;)

Ruger

Reaction score
C3k, thank you for the follow up and great right up on install! I’m all in for getting one and my truck is still on order. I’m assuming the catch can will work on a 2023 since there hasn’t been any major engine changes. Please give up a follow-up after a few thousand miles to see how much oil it is catching and removing from the season.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So what I'm seeing, the thing that prevents the check engine light is the sensor relocation onto the catch can itself. Meaning, you could probably just drill and tap most catch cans for the sensor port.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The actual catchcan installation:

There's a small extension tube, about 3" long, that goes at the junction of the PCV tube and the intake runner. This was the single biggest pain in the a$$. The problem? The Oetiker clamps (or ear clamps or pinch clamps). Call them what you will...they are the devil's spawn.

They are oriented such that it is nearly impossible to get them to release. Yes, I've removed dozens to hundreds of them. Yes, I know of about 4 techniques to remove them. The easy way, lifting up the tail, could not work due to the size and location. The other methods need access to the "ear"...which were on the opposite side in a very cramped location. If I could get a tool on them, I could not get leverage because something blocked it.

Anyway, it is doable, just very hard.

View attachment 145879

The pic above shows the second sensor removed to give space to work.

The pic below shows the little 3" section in place. (The second sensor connector plugs back in.) Notice the screw clamps? Yeah, it'll be MUCH easier to get in there in the future.

View attachment 145880

This took almost an hour. If I'd stifled my cursing, it may've cut the time down to 52 minutes. YMMV.

Next...
What is the purpose of the piece the short section of hose replaces?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So what I'm seeing, the thing that prevents the check engine light is the sensor relocation onto the catch can itself. Meaning, you could probably just drill and tap most catch cans for the sensor port.
This thread covers the reasons why it could happen. The theme is that it’s a balancing act within a narrow set of parameters to get catch cans to work.

Reactions: c3k

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm not so sure about that.

1. Take all the rest of this with a grain of salt.
2. Add more salt. ;)
3. I =think= that the purpose of that 3" extension is to get the second pressure sensor to read a "correct" pressure.
4. I =think= the location of the first sensor is also very important.

If it were as simple as just drilling a hole and relocating the first sensor, then everyone would be selling ecoDiesel catchcans. But, I don't know.

What I'd like to do? Take a "virgin" ecoDiesel and drill holes about every 1" from the PCV oil separator (where the PCV hose originates) and run the holes all the way to where the PCV hole enters the intake runner. Place air sensors at every hole and find out what the readings are.

Next, take the two sensors and find out what trips them. What the pressures are and what the voltages do.

Finally, take the modified setup, put holes every 1", and get your readings. Apply the new readings to the previous and you'll know what is needed where and why.

That's my .02. (As someone with an (unused) Aero Eng degree, you can understand my desire to tap pressure readings all over the place. ;) )

If you'd like to try it (drilling a hole and relocating the sensor), give it a go. I'd be curious to see what happens.

Edit: it seems like what I called "second sensor" is just a heater. That means the 3" extension may just be used to extend the hose so there are no crimps.

Last edited:

Ruger

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that.

1. Take all the rest of this with a grain of salt.
2. Add more salt. ;)
3. I =think= that the purpose of that 3" extension is to get the second pressure sensor to read a "correct" pressure.
4. I =think= the location of the first sensor is also very important.

If it were as simple as just drilling a hole and relocating the first sensor, then everyone would be selling ecoDiesel catchcans. But, I don't know.

What I'd like to do? Take a "virgin" ecoDiesel and drill holes about every 1" from the PCV oil separator (where the PCV hose originates) and run the holes all the way to where the PCV hole enters the intake runner. Place air sensors at every hole and find out what the readings are.

Next, take the two sensors and find out what trips them. What the pressures are and what the voltages do.

Finally, take the modified setup, put holes every 1", and get your readings. Apply the new readings to the previous and you'll know what is needed where and why.

That's my .02. (As someone with an (unused) Aero Eng degree, you can understand my desire to tap pressure readings all over the place. ;) )

If you'd like to try it (drilling a hole and relocating the sensor), give it a go. I'd be curious to see what happens.

Edit: it seems like what I called "second sensor" is just a heater. That means the 3" extension may just be used to extend the hose so there are no crimps.
So could that 3” piece of hose be left in place to prevent undue cursing and personal suffering?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So could that 3” piece of hose be left in place to prevent undue cursing and personal suffering?
LOL...I wish?

The 3" section replaces a 1" section. That extra 2 inches seems to make a big difference in how the hoses fit. It (the 3" extension) is larger than the standard hose. It fits perfectly where it is, but it would NOT fit at the other end or attached to the catchcan, due to the diameter difference.

Ruger

Reaction score
LOL...I wish?

The 3" section replaces a 1" section. That extra 2 inches seems to make a big difference in how the hoses fit. It (the 3" extension) is larger than the standard hose. It fits perfectly where it is, but it would NOT fit at the other end or attached to the catchcan, due to the diameter difference.
Thanks, I’ll be ordering one, once I get my truck delivered. And great job on the right up and info. We finally have a catch-can that won’t throw codes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the install and review!

I emailed T&S a month or more ago and never heard back from them.

Has anyone tried the one from EOC?

Ruger

Reaction score
Thanks for the install and review!

I emailed T&S a month or more ago and never heard back from them.

Has anyone tried the one from EOC?
Haven’t tried to contact them yet. Was planning on it once I get delivery of my truck. Or if we can get a discount on a group purchase I’d be in for that.

Ruger

Reaction score
All, I just reached out to T&S speed shop this morning. For some general ordering information and lead times for their product and also lead time if we put in a mass order as a group. As soon as I hear back I’ll post the info.

Chris3058

Reaction score
All, I just reached out to T&S speed shop this morning. For some general ordering information and lead times for their product and also lead time if we put in a mass order as a group. As soon as I hear back I’ll post the info.
Perfect. Sent a message a while ago and no reply so hopefully someone gets through.

Reaction score
I have sent them two emails in the past month or so and haven't heard anything back. I may send them another one. But if you hear back from T&S, even though I bought the EOC, I would also be interested in the T&S version.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, their comms are not the best. ;)

This is a side-thing for him/them, is my guess. I had a 6-week (ish?) wait to hear back and then a month (more or less?) to then got confirmation I'd get it, and then a week or two later (?), I got a shipping notification. THAT, the UPS shipping, was perfect. Once it's enroute, you're golden.

Having said that, my son has a 2022 ecoDiesel. I'll buy another one of these to mount on his truck.

GrizEagle

Reaction score
I just got one ordered today along with shipping confirmation. I emailed them back on 10/28 to get on the waiting list and heard back today (1/26). Looking forward to installing it!

Ruger

Reaction score
I just got one ordered today along with shipping confirmation. I emailed them back on 10/28 to get on the waiting list and heard back today (1/26). Looking forward to installing it!
Wow, 10/28 that means I have a couple of more months of waiting before they reply to me. 😳

Daverous

Reaction score
How's the collection rate so far, @c3k ? Got lucky and asked if they had one last Thursday, one left in orange... Score. Recieved and installed last night and wondering if it'll make it a full oil change duration or more?

Also, does yours sit sightly titled at the firewall? As in not level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread