5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can for the ecoDiesel without throwing codes?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
email sent to T&S. Awaiting reply...
They took a couple days to get back to me. It’s great that a few of us are sending emails about it. Maybe that’ll be incentive for them to continue making them.

Ram_athorn

Reaction score
Out of curiosity has anyone had issues when taking their vehicle to dealer (under warranty) with one? Ford never seemed to care when it came to my wife's vehicle, but not sure how Ram is.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This comment from a catch can thread has confirmed what I suspected about the provent, so that idea is completely out of the window. Good thing I didn’t give into my impatience and buy one earlier today.

Chris3058

Reaction score
Yeah sorry. Lol. What I meant to ask was - a tune is really the only way to shut the EGR off without a delete and not throw codes?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah sorry. Lol. What I meant to ask was - a tune is really the only way to shut the EGR off without a delete and not throw codes?
Yes, you would have to do a tune to shut off the EGR. The GDE tune does use the low pressure loop of the EGR where it can and reduces gunk in the intake, but the EGR stays on with this tune.

raj

Reaction score
Just got an email from T&S. Catch cans are back in stock.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did also. I turned it down since I’m not keeping this truck long-term, so that opens up one for someone else.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sent a payment in. Hope it's as good as I've heard. (Fingers crossed that I don't get a code.)

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did also. I turned it down since I’m not keeping this truck long-term, so that opens up one for someone else.
what you gonna get ? im after rhe rebel 2500 if it comes witb blk red interior

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My catchcan from TNS Speedshop is shipping.

I'll install it and post results...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's what the T&S Speed Shop catchcan looks like:

T and S oil catchcan 01.jpg

The PCV hose gets interrupted by the fittings up top. There's a machined port on the top for a sensor.

At the bottom is a ball valve to drain it.

Here's a shot of the side:

T and S oil catchcan 02.jpg

Sweet: a viewport. ;) I'm not sure how well that will work, once oil gets into the catch can, but I'm glad to see it there.

I'll install it sometime after the 19th. I'm headed out of town.

(The bottom of the ball valve is threaded. Perfect! I'm going to add a fitting and drop a length of tubing down. I'll secure the tube as needed. I'll add another valve to the bottom of the tube. To drain the catch can, I'll open both valves: the one at the catch can and the one at the bottom of the drain tube I'll add. I'll put a valve at the end of the drain tube because I don't want residual drips staining my driveway or garage.))

My initial impressions: this thing is a precision built beast! It has some heft. There's nothing here that seems like it's delicate or will break. The tightness of construction, fit and finish, are outstanding. Two thumbs up so far. :)

Ruger

Reaction score

View attachment 143578

The PCV hose gets interrupted by the fittings up top. There's a machined port on the top for a sensor.

View attachment 143579

Sweet: a viewport. ;) I'm not sure how well that will work, once oil gets into the catch can, but I'm glad to see it there.

(The bottom of the ball valve is threaded. Perfect! I'm going to add a fitting and drop a length of tubing down. I'll secure the tube as needed. I'll add another valve to the bottom of the tube. To drain the catch can, I'll open both valves: the one at the catch can and the one at the bottom of the drain tube I'll add. I'll put a valve at the end of the drain tube because I don't want residual drips staining my driveway or garage.))

My initial impressions: this thing is a precision built beast! It has some heft. There's nothing here that seems like it's delicate or will break. The tightness of construction, fit and finish, are outstanding. Two thumbs up so far. :)

View attachment 143578

View attachment 143579

C3k, it looks good. Really interested in hearing how it works. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t throw any codes.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
C3k, it looks good. Really interested in hearing how it works. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn’t throw any codes.

You and me both. ;)

I'm at least a week out from installing it. (Work, travel, etc.)

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE

I purchased a Catchcan from T&S Speedshop, link: Welcome to T&S Speed Shop | T&S Speed Shop

I paid for it and then waited...as expected. The customer service is outstanding. They build in batches, so, if it's not in stock, it will be. (They may wait until there are enough orders? Shrug.)

Whatever. It arrived a month or two after ordering. The packaging is great, as is the construction quality. I posted pix, just upstream, post #34. Catch Can for the ecoDiesel without throwing codes?

The instructions are basic. There are a few steps printed out with some black and white pictures. It's pretty simple.

This is the dry-fit stage, seeing what would go where:

Catchcan 01 noted.jpg

And, the one sensor that needs to be relocated:

Catchcan 04 noted.jpg

Next, the install...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install...

Take off the engine shroud. There are two bolts on the top and two pins in the back.

Catchcan 05 noted.jpg

Catchcan 06 noted.jpg

Catchcan 07 noted.jpg

That was about 3 minutes of work so far. ;)

Next...

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The actual catchcan installation:

There's a small extension tube, about 3" long, that goes at the junction of the PCV tube and the intake runner. This was the single biggest pain in the a$$. The problem? The Oetiker clamps (or ear clamps or pinch clamps). Call them what you will...they are the devil's spawn.

They are oriented such that it is nearly impossible to get them to release. Yes, I've removed dozens to hundreds of them. Yes, I know of about 4 techniques to remove them. The easy way, lifting up the tail, could not work due to the size and location. The other methods need access to the "ear"...which were on the opposite side in a very cramped location. If I could get a tool on them, I could not get leverage because something blocked it.

Anyway, it is doable, just very hard.

Catchcan 08 noted.jpg

The pic above shows the second sensor removed to give space to work. (Edit: I've discovered, from another forum, that this "second sensor" may not be a sensor, but rather is a heater. I don't know. I've called it "second sensor" throughout my writeup. I will keep that nomenclature, but be aware, it may be a heater.)

The pic below shows the little 3" section in place. (The second sensor connector plugs back in.) Notice the screw clamps? Yeah, it'll be MUCH easier to get in there in the future.

Catchcan 09 noted.jpg

This took almost an hour. If I'd stifled my cursing, it may've cut the time down to 52 minutes. YMMV.

Next...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread