5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catch Can for the ecoDiesel without throwing codes?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've searched...

I've not found any reports of reliable oil catch cans for the ecoDiesel. The ones that I have seen all say they throw MIL/Check Engine codes.

Is anyone using one? And, which one is it???

Thanks.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been searching this for a while and haven’t come up with any good solutions, so definitely report back if you do find something. Every turbo vehicle I’ve owned has had some level of oil in the intake piping, but diesel oil contaminated with soot in the intake tract has always bothered me.

i’ve been looking at Amsoil oil bypass filtration systems. My thought is that contaminants that may cause wear to the impeller, piping, and the combustion chamber would be reduced.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i been on same boat i read that eco diesel of cananda doesnt throw code and another brand saas i believe it was

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have purchased one but have not installed it yet. It is still
a pass thru but is supposed to pull the oil out of suspension.
I will also add SS scour pads inside the can for more surface
area to collect the oil.

Malodave

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased one but have not installed it yet. It is still
a pass thru but is supposed to pull the oil out of suspension.
I will also add SS scour pads inside the can for more surface
area to collect the oil.

Malodave
Which one did you buy?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
I have some oil leaking from what appears to be the CAC tube towards the right rear top of the engine, anyone else?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got this one off amazon:

Got this one off amazon:
You mind posting what hoses on the engine are the inlet/ outlet for the catch can? I can’t seem to find instructions from any companies that make catch can kits. One company even said that the stock hoses will have to be cannibalized to make the catch can kit work, but didn’t specify which hoses needed to be cut.

Barry M

Reaction score
I bought & installed one of these. Ram Ecodiesel 2020+ (DT) Catch Can CCV Kit | T&S Speed Shop Please note that what I purchased & installed looks different from their current picture. It came with mounting hardware, hose extension and sensor relocation plug. The sensor was moved to the top of the can. No codes and works as expected. I did have to wait for several months to get it.

Attachments

• catch can.jpg
    catch can.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 113

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought & installed one of these. Ram Ecodiesel 2020+ (DT) Catch Can CCV Kit | T&S Speed Shop Please note that what I purchased & installed looks different from their current picture. It came with mounting hardware, hose extension and sensor relocation plug. The sensor was moved to the top of the can. No codes and works as expected. I did have to wait for several months to get it.
I just hit their website: it says "not available". Grrr.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How’s it working for you/ how much oil do you get out of it?

Barry M

Reaction score
Only have a couple thousand miles on it. There is a very small amount of oil in it. I figured I'd empty it at each oil change. I don't drive much. It will be some time to get an idea. In a perfect world it will take a long time to fill up.

1LowTrk

Reaction score
I'm looking myself for one. I recently installed a Banks Derringer with Pedal Monster which requires to remove the intake pipe. I was shocked how much oil was found in the pipe. My truck only has 1,000+ miles so far and I'd bet that if I hung that pipe to allow itself to drip I could fill a plastic bottle cap full to the edge with the amount of oil left inside the pipe. At this pace, I'd hope the intercooler has a drain plug.

Has anyone tried and purchased a Mishimoto Oil Catch Can for the 5.7 and see if that would bolt up in the same location? It would definitely require new hoses and fittings but it would be a clean install.

I found this video on YouTube and he claims that he doesn't have a light on who is also using a Mishimoto can but for a BMW.

Youtube: Ecodiesel oil catch can no codes

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking myself for one. I recently installed a Banks Derringer with Pedal Monster which requires to remove the intake pipe. I was shocked how much oil was found in the pipe. My truck only has 1,000+ miles so far and I'd bet that if I hung that pipe to allow itself to drip I could fill a plastic bottle cap full to the edge with the amount of oil left inside the pipe. At this pace, I'd hope the intercooler has a drain plug.

Has anyone tried and purchased a Mishimoto Oil Catch Can for the 5.7 and see if that would bolt up in the same location? It would definitely require new hoses and fittings but it would be a clean install.

I found this video on YouTube and he claims that he doesn't have a light on who is also using a Mishimoto can but for a BMW.

Youtube: Ecodiesel oil catch can no codes
That’s the same thing I found when I installed my Derringer. I normally wouldn’t care about oil in the intake, but there’s a decent amount of soot in the oil. That makes me uneasy. I only think one hose is needed (depending on can mount location), or you could cut the stock one and keep the new one as a spare. For catch can choice, I’m still leaning toward the mann provent 200. I’ve been slacking on buying it, but I think I’ll be ordering it within the next week.

1LowTrk

Reaction score
That’s the same thing I found when I installed my Derringer. I normally wouldn’t care about oil in the intake, but there’s a decent amount of soot in the oil. That makes me uneasy. I only think one hose is needed (depending on can mount location), or you could cut the stock one and keep the new one as a spare. For catch can choice, I’m still leaning toward the mann provent 200. I’ve been slacking on buying it, but I think I’ll be ordering it within the next week.
Hell Yea! Keep us posted.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hell Yea! Keep us posted.
I had T&S get back to me right as I was about to buy the provent. I love T&S’s integrated sensor design, so I got on their waitlist for a catch can.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
email sent to T&S. Awaiting reply...

Users who are viewing this thread