5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catalytic converter stolen; Progressive only endorse aftermarket converter, any issue?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lastly, the new cat setup on your truck is about $1600 so I wonder what the aftermarket setup costs/their stated reimbursement? I see prices from $600 to $1000 for aftermarket replacements and surely the body shop can get a better price on OEM? I would be squeezing the aftermarket price point as much as possible and looking for the best price OEM if I needed to offset out of pocket.
OEM cats are about $5,000 currently, that was on a 2020 5.7 1500.

RamSteel

Reaction score

or this depending on how early or late in production

RamSteel

Reaction score

If they are truly 5k, the insurance company is not going to back down so you better find a really good aftermarket version. I'm all about saving the environment but 5k per truck is insane.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Interesting. I have Progressive as well, and they did not care which product to use for my son’s Tacoma.
CC got stolen a couple of months ago, and they sent me a check that would cover OEM. I'd assume it's the same for RAM.

The only reason I went with after-market was that the Toyota dealer had a four-month backorder and the muffler shop got aftermarket the same day, along with the O2 sensor.

I then ordered an aluminum cage with safety screws to prevent additional thefts. Money well spent.

Cheers,

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

or this depending on how early or late in production

68139891AC isn't for a DT, May be for a DS build. Attached is current prices for 767AB.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-103348_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-103348_Chrome.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 27

msy288

Reaction score
Does progressive acknowledge there is wiring damage? IMO that should be a separate line item in the repair...

Actually no. The adjustor said they have the photo taken at the area of damage and they still don't think there is need for wiring soldering. The manager of the adjustor promised to give me one more hour on the estimate, but under different item (not for wiring).

msy288

Reaction score

You'll note even FCA has the right to repair with new, used, exchanged, etc. parts. however, you should note that those catalytic converters are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles. Most aftermarket, best case, is covered for five years so essentially you're getting the same coverage. I can see why the insurance company is trying to go that route. What you need to look for, should you lose the OEM position, is to insist on CARB-compliant cats as you would not have to certify your vehicle in a lot of other states that test and inspect emissions. Texas is not one of them so not sure how far you're going to get but maybe you move a lot? I was in the military so I would have stood firm on this one.

Lastly, the new cat setup on your truck is about $1600 so I wonder what the aftermarket setup costs/their stated reimbursement? I see prices from $600 to $1000 for aftermarket replacements and surely the body shop can get a better price on OEM? I would be squeezing the aftermarket price point as much as possible and looking for the best price OEM if I needed to offset out of pocket.

Hope it all works out.

Thanks. The OEM part has been settled weeks ago after fighting back and forth with Progressive.

msy288

Reaction score
Interesting. I have Progressive as well, and they did not care which product to use for my son’s Tacoma.
CC got stolen a couple of months ago, and they sent me a check that would cover OEM. I'd assume it's the same for RAM.

The only reason I went with after-market was that the Toyota dealer had a four-month backorder and the muffler shop got aftermarket the same day, along with the O2 sensor.

I then ordered an aluminum cage with safety screws to prevent additional thefts. Money well spent.

Cheers,

Well. It looks like Progressive took care of your son's truck very well, not like in my case that I had to fight for every penny.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually no. The adjustor said they have the photo taken at the area of damage and they still don't think there is need for wiring soldering. The manager of the adjustor promised to give me one more hour on the estimate, but under different item (not for wiring).
It's almost as if they forget there's almost always extra damage that can't be seen from the outside. This sounds 100% to be an issue with Progressive not wanting to pay the extra $$$ for a harness.

msy288

Reaction score
It's almost as if they forget there's almost always extra damage that can't be seen from the outside. This sounds 100% to be an issue with Progressive not wanting to pay the extra $$$ for a harness.

Right. The progressive manager kept telling me it is just bolt on repair and he does not understand why welding is required. Anyway they are going to grant me with one extra hour that will belong to other item, but should cover the wiring repair. I might still need to pay the difference but should be about 1 hour labor or less, not like 3.5 labor difference as previously mentioned.

I actually quite regret towing my vehicle to dealership and should just let the Caliber Collision to install the OEM part to avoid so many hassles. But the problem is that the body shop got hit twice in a week (where my vehicle was serviced there) and they can do nothing about it. I just didn't want to leave my truck there for 2~3 weeks while they were waiting for the OEM part order, while there is a big possibility that the same thieves will return for the 3rd time.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right. The progressive manager kept telling me it is just bolt on repair and he does not understand why welding is required. Anyway they are going to grant me with one extra hour that will belong to other item, but should cover the wiring repair. I might still need to pay the difference but should be about 1 hour labor or less, not like 3.5 labor difference as previously mentioned.

I actually quite regret towing my vehicle to dealership and should just let the Caliber Collision to install the OEM part to avoid so many hassles. But the problem is that the body shop got hit twice in a week (where my vehicle was serviced there) and they can do nothing about it. I just didn't want to leave my truck there for 2~3 weeks while they were waiting for the OEM part order, while there is a big possibility that the same thieves will return for the 3rd time.
I wouldn't have trusted them to install the OEM part, no matter what they told you. Though, yea...this is a ****ty situation overall.

msy288

Reaction score
Finally get my truck back today with OEM catalytic converter installed, after a long battle with Caliber, Progressive and Dealership. The dealership and insurance finally get the estimate difference settled and I don't need to pay for the difference. It has been almost one month. I am very grateful to all of you and I greatly appreciate all the help and advises from you guys! Without your help, I might have just followed the original estimate for the aftermarket catalytic converter which was pushed by the insurance and in-network body shop together, and I might have paid the $800 estimated labor difference between the dealership and insurance.

ben b

Reaction score
Congratulations! You really persevered thru this ordeal, fighting thru obstacle after obstacle, mixing calm steadfastness with an occasioanal round of "You ARE going to do what's right." Quite a lesson in how to handle butt-headed people without lowering yourself to their level. Thanks for posting the good news!

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Finally get my truck back today with OEM catalytic converter installed, after a long battle with Caliber, Progressive and Dealership. The dealership and insurance finally get the estimate difference settled and I don't need to pay for the difference. It has been almost one month. I am very grateful to all of you and I greatly appreciate all the help and advises from you guys! Without your help, I might have just followed the original estimate for the aftermarket catalytic converter which was pushed by the insurance and in-network body shop together, and I might have paid the $800 estimated labor difference between the dealership and insurance.
did you get the new converter marked?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Positive. I have spoke directly to the Progressive (both claim agent and the person charge in supervising the repair). They said they cannot honor OEM part bc my 2019 RAM is not a new car. BS!
I had a similiar issue with progressive, they said I had to have OEM replacement parts specified on my policy when it was written. They ended up replacing my bumper with OEM but wanted to go with aftermarket head light, I didn't have time to mess with fighting it but worked out a deal with the body shop to get an OEM headlight.

msy288

Reaction score
did you get the new converter marked?

Not yet. I asked the tech at the dealership if they can directly carve the vin number but they said they cannot do that. I am going to get a shield installed later. I know that shield can also be cut out within minutes but hope at least it can deter the thief.

msy288

Reaction score
Congratulations! You really persevered thru this ordeal, fighting thru obstacle after obstacle, mixing calm steadfastness with an occasioanal round of "You ARE going to do what's right." Quite a lesson in how to handle butt-headed people without lowering yourself to their level. Thanks for posting the good news!
Thanks again! I am actually kind of a pushover in daily life but this time I just try my best to stand my ground.

msy288

Reaction score
I had a similiar issue with progressive, they said I had to have OEM replacement parts specified on my policy when it was written. They ended up replacing my bumper with OEM but wanted to go with aftermarket head light, I didn't have time to mess with fighting it but worked out a deal with the body shop to get an OEM headlight.
I am thinking about moving to State Farm or other insurance sometimes later. But after some research it seems to me that many insurance companies have the similar issue like this.

Users who are viewing this thread