5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat Back or Muffler

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on the 5.7 exhaust. There are plenty of reviews for different systems and different mufflers. My question is what would you consider better, just replacing the muffler or ding a whole cat back system?

Is one just for sound and the other performance? Would you need other mods in conjunction like a larger MAF to get more power?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is almost all for sound. There might be some small benefit based on what you go with but the only "performance" improvement is going to be for your ears (and anyone else around you).

As you've said there are enough options to make your head spin. There are too many to list and I don't have any experience with any of them (yet) as I still have the stock exhaust.

The muffler-only option is the least expensive route but there is a possibility of drone issues. The cat-backs are a lot pricier but are designed to not drone.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called Borla and asked a similar question. I replaced just the muffler on my 2006 Silverado with the GM Performance Touring muffler. I purchased it directly from Borla when they had a surplus and wanted to get rid of them.

So, I called about the Rebel and asked if they could recommend just the muffler. The guy wasn't really listening to what I was asking and stated that I needed to get the full cat back system. He said the exhaust systems are completely different today compared to what I did to my Silverado, so the full cat back was needed.

I'm no expert, but I don't want to pay $1000 for a full exhaust system if I can get the sound out of just the muffler can itself. I'm not looking to install a CAI and exhaust system to improve performance. I'm looking for sound only, but without drone.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many have been happy with just a muffler (Magnaflow, B2, Flowmaster, etc.) but if you want a guarantee for no drone then you will need to get a catback system that is tuned to prevent it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get the oval one...they are very well made and no drone. A TON of us on the forum have the B2. The stock piping on our trucks is high quality T409 and is very free flowing once the stock muffler is eliminated.

Users who are viewing this thread