5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier bearing

Reaction score
Does anyone knows the carrier bearing is serviceable on a 2022 ram 1500 big horn driveshaft or do i have to change the whole thing

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
I found today that mine isn’t look healthy. I’m going with an aftermarket bearing. I am hearing a whine noise that I originally thought was a wheel or diff bearing.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 40

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Well, that didnt fix it. I'm trying everything i can to not tear into the differential.
if you're sure the universal joints are good, and you replaced the carrier bearing there isn't much left. it will be in the rear end or an output shaft bearing in the transfer case you could check for metal shavings in the fluids of those 2 items before you tear into it. if you have access to a lift, you could raise it up and run it in gear and see if you can zero in on the source also. just a couple thoughts.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
Well, I have accepted something must be wrong with the pinion bearing. The inner takes most of the load so that is my guess. Could be more than one. Next week local trans and diff shop is going to replace all four bearings. Told him to let me see the bearings when he removes. Out the door for $950. I was going to tackle it myself; but I won’t argue with that price.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
if you're sure the universal joints are good, and you replaced the carrier bearing there isn't much left. it will be in the rear end or an output shaft bearing in the transfer case you could check for metal shavings in the fluids of those 2 items before you tear into it. if you have access to a lift, you could raise it up and run it in gear and see if you can zero in on the source also. just a couple thoughts.

Appreciate it. A friend down the road has a lift. I had given that thought. I figure I’d have more vibration if the Ujoints were acting up. It is coming from rear end. Mechanic will check out the axle shafts and bearing when he opens it up.

I already had opened it up and found residual, but nothing to be excited about to pin point me in direction. I also check the backlash and was .007. So that all seemed normal.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
Does it howl while driving in a straight line or only during turns?

It doesnt change when turning. doesnt change pitch or go away. It starts slow and as i go faster; it gets louder. Then as I decelerate you can hear it easier as less road noise.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It doesnt change when turning. doesnt change pitch or go away. It starts slow and as i go faster; it gets louder. Then as I decelerate you can hear it easier as less road noise.

Yeah, your pinion bearing are probably gone.
$950 isn't bad; had to do it on my previous truck and it was $850 back then 8-10 years ago

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Well, I have accepted something must be wrong with the pinion bearing. The inner takes most of the load so that is my guess. Could be more than one. Next week local trans and diff shop is going to replace all four bearings. Told him to let me see the bearings when he removes. Out the door for $950. I was going to tackle it myself; but I won’t argue with that price.
if you're going that far into it already, I would have the outer axle shaft bearings replaced why they have it all apart. minimal cost why they have everything torn down already.
also, any metal that came from the bad bearings likely made it to these outer bearings mixed with the axle fluid and has worn them.

Users who are viewing this thread