5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay Wireless - Trucks are prepped - FCA,Turn on Please!!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a really short Lightning cable that I plug my phone into and then drop it into the passenger cup holder if I'm alone, or diagonally into the Ramcharger. Everything else I need to do I can either do through the 12" interface or via voice. It would be nice to have another option, but not at the cost of impacting what is currently available.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just realized this morning that Apple Music will play via Bluetooth. I have the 12" screen and I was having trouble getting my playlist to play thru Apple CarPlay with the cable. I started fiddling around with it and and touched the Bluetooth icon on the screen and the playlist started playing without the phone being connected to the truck with a cable. I took a pic of the screen which shows the icon. It's the second one down on the screen. I've had trouble off and on with Apple CarPlay. Switched out cables, etc., and perused the forum to see other people having problems and I thought I saw comments where folks were saying that CarPlay wouldn't play via Bluetooth. Not sure what's going on; but it's working.

Attachments

• Apple Music.jpg
    Apple Music.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just realized this morning that Apple Music will play via Bluetooth... ...and I thought I saw comments where folks were saying that CarPlay wouldn't play via Bluetooth. Not sure what's going on; but it's working.

CarPlay is much different than just playing audio over Bluetooth. CarPlay is a subset of apps specifically formatted to be used on a modern vehicles media display.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CarPlay is much different than just playing audio over Bluetooth. CarPlay is a subset of apps specifically formatted to be used on a modern vehicles media display.
I'm certainly no tech guy. So I guess I misspoke when I said I got CarPlay to play thru Bluetooth. I find playing Apple Music from my phone thru CarPlay to be hit or miss. It's always telling me to pair the phone, but the phone is paired up. Surprised me when I got the Apple Music playlist to play thru Bluetooth.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm certainly no tech guy. So I guess I misspoke when I said I got CarPlay to play thru Bluetooth. I find playing Apple Music from my phone thru CarPlay to be hit or miss. It's always telling me to pair the phone, but the phone is paired up. Surprised me when I got the Apple Music playlist to play thru Bluetooth.

When playing music with Apple Music through CarPlay, your phone needs to be plugged into the truck via a usb cable. Then, on the media screen, you can select CarPlay as the source, or, you can select (and open) CarPlay with the shortcut button at the bottom of the screen where the Phone shortcut usually is.

Playing Apple Music over Bluetooth just simply requires your phone be paired to the truck via the Bluetooth settings.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having lost my SiriusXM presets and the ability to set them again in the past week, I'm willing to give up wireless CarPlay just to get those back. Since they can't seem to keep the built-in functions working, I think adding more complexity will not help.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I am glad this feature isn't here. When CarPlay takes over - you can't use the built in Nav. They would need a way to switch between nav systems. I also don't always want stuff popping up and defaulting to CarPlay everytime I get in the truck.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When CarPlay takes over - you can't use the built in Nav. They would need a way to switch between nav systems.
Really? I used the built-in Nav last week while my iPhone was CarPlay connected. I was traveling through areas that had little to no cell coverage, so the phone wouldn't have worked well.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really? I used the built-in Nav last week while my iPhone was CarPlay connected. I was traveling through areas that had little to no cell coverage, so the phone wouldn't have worked well.

Cell coverage and GPS signal are two different things. Also, were you able to run the Nav with CarPlay on the same screen? It shouldn't let you, and will force you to use the full screen Nav and switch back and forth.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The maps for Nav on the phone require cell service to update, unless you've downloaded a specific map in advance (Google Maps in my case). The built-in Nav uses a map database that's installed into the system. Unless you like seeing an icon of where you are (GPS) on an empty grid (No Cell Service), phone Nav isn't worth much (unless you have an app that has stored maps - I don't). Turn-by-turn on the built-in Nav still functions when you're on the CarPlay screen, and it's easy to flip back and forth.

If you have SiriusXM Traffic Plus & SiriusXM Travel Link, you also get other data related to your location and the built-in Nav via satellite.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread