5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay Wireless - Trucks are prepped - FCA,Turn on Please!!

69Sting

Reaction score
In doing a bit of research about wireless carplay, I discovered that a vehicle needs bluetooth and wifi in order for wireless carplay to work. OK. not all trucks have it but many do, specially in the upper trim models or features. Now, per Apple FCA is a company that already has wireless carplay already established in some vehicles. So this looks like all FCA or Uconnect needs to do is a flash update and BAM!! wireless carplay.

Right now I see the wireless charging a gimmick as if I want to use carplay (use a lot for apple music) i have to plug my phone in anyway. Oh the 1st world tech luxury to set a phone in the wireless charging bay and carplay comes on. oh what a perfect tech/SAFETY scenario, hands free use while phone is being charged.

Now i noticed my front media hub has been and is having issues, USB2 won't hold a data connection and USB1 has issues connecting carplay and randomly disconnected. So my truck and many trucks (per forum threads) are having media hubs swapped out costing FCA $'s for the part and labor. FCA could turn on wireless carplay and I would never know my media hub needs replacing, as i am sure others wouldn't either, thus saving FCA $'s on the media hub swap outs.

Wireless Carplay PLEASE!!!!!

sparkygreen

Reaction score
That would be awesome. I assumed it would never happen, or still a long ways out.

I have the same dilemma, love the idea of wireless charging, but thus far always plug in to get Carplay.

Its a lot of data to transfer back and forth quickly, so even if they do activate it, my bet is it would be choppy at best. But ya never know until you try.

Thanks for the info!

69Sting

Reaction score
Sparkygreen,

You are correct, there is a lot of data being passed and that is why Apple requires Bluetooth to pair and then wifi to help with data stream.

with out wireless carplay, i have a wifi feature that is worthless.

Primosp83

Reaction score
In doing a bit of research about wireless carplay, I discovered that a vehicle needs bluetooth and wifi in order for wireless carplay to work. OK. not all trucks have it but many do, specially in the upper trim models or features. Now, per Apple FCA is a company that already has wireless carplay already established in some vehicles. So this looks like all FCA or Uconnect needs to do is a flash update and BAM!! wireless carplay.

Right now I see the wireless charging a gimmick as if I want to use carplay (use a lot for apple music) i have to plug my phone in anyway. Oh the 1st world tech luxury to set a phone in the wireless charging bay and carplay comes on. oh what a perfect tech/SAFETY scenario, hands free use while phone is being charged.

Now i noticed my front media hub has been and is having issues, USB2 won't hold a data connection and USB1 has issues connecting carplay and randomly disconnected. So my truck and many trucks (per forum threads) are having media hubs swapped out costing FCA $'s for the part and labor. FCA could turn on wireless carplay and I would never know my media hub needs replacing, as i am sure others wouldn't either, thus saving FCA $'s on the media hub swap outs.

Wireless Carplay PLEASE!!!!!

@RamCares could you provide any insight on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alangsam

Reaction score
Wireless carplay has been on most new bmws and it works fantastic. Not sure why ram can’t Make this happen.

Saints

Reaction score
I don’t know why it would need WiFi. My friend has an aftermarket pioneer in his Tundra and has wireless CarPlay and no WiFi.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Never going to happen it’s a licensing issue...

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Never going to happen it’s a licensing issue...

Apple or Google don’t charge anything to anybody for CarPlay or android auto. They make money by the apps and as a feature set on phones. I truly hope wireless CarPlay comes to our vehicles as an update, but more likely than not is it’ll be available in 2020 and not backward compatible

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Apple or Google don’t charge anything to anybody for CarPlay or android auto. They make money by the apps and as a feature set on phones. I truly hope wireless CarPlay comes to our vehicles as an update, but more likely than not is it’ll be available in 2020 and not backward compatible

Yes they do the car manufacturer has to license CarPlay from Apple and wireless costs extra that’s why at some manufacturers like BMW you pay extra for CarPlay... I still think wireless is unlikely even for 2020 model year...
For one because of licensing they carve every dime out for profit they can and people checkbox CarPlay but might not figure it’s not wireless until they sit in it every day...
for the other do not bet on new features for any released model year once software is out they do maintenance at best... they bring a new feature it will take a lot of testing that nothing is interfering with other systems car software is not as easy as a simple app (yet fca is struggling as we all know) and Tesla is not proving us any different they are pushing updates like Twitter or Facebook for their apps but that has been nothing but a rough ride...

I’d like see fca to concentrate on make the current system work and I’d be fine with plugging my phone in... what i don’t want to see and I believe we won’t anyway is new features in a software update with unfixed bugs or even worse new bugs...

Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Wireless CarPlay would be awesome. Plugging the phone is a hassle and I forget. I wish I would get my text messages through Uconnect. I did get them in my Grand Cherokee Summit as long as I paid the Uconnect fee's.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Yes they do the car manufacturer has to license CarPlay from Apple and wireless costs extra that’s why at some manufacturers like BMW you pay extra for CarPlay... I still think wireless is unlikely even for 2020 model year...
For one because of licensing they carve every dime out for profit they can and people checkbox CarPlay but might not figure it’s not wireless until they sit in it every day...
for the other do not bet on new features for any released model year once software is out they do maintenance at best... they bring a new feature it will take a lot of testing that nothing is interfering with other systems car software is not as easy as a simple app (yet fca is struggling as we all know) and Tesla is not proving us any different they are pushing updates like Twitter or Facebook for their apps but that has been nothing but a rough ride...

I’d like see fca to concentrate on make the current system work and I’d be fine with plugging my phone in... what i don’t want to see and I believe we won’t anyway is new features in a software update with unfixed bugs or even worse new bugs...

I’m not trying to start an argument but I want to share accurate facts. Apple does not charge a single dime for integrating Apple CarPlay in infotainment systems.

DeanKing

Reaction score
While I would love wireless carplay, what possible motive would FCA have for retrofitting a significant new feature into already sold trucks? It is all risk and no reward. Even if we were willing to pay a subscription fee for it I still wouldn't see them doing new development on an existing product. All new development is focused on future products.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
While I would love wireless carplay, what possible motive would FCA have for retrofitting a significant new feature into already sold trucks? It is all risk and no reward. Even if we were willing to pay a subscription fee for it I still wouldn't see them doing new development on an existing product. All new development is focused on future products.

You are correct, FCA cares less about past customers.

69Sting

Reaction score
Why would FCA retro fit or update for Wifi Carplay? Tech, safety and Future growth that is why. Tech is where vehicles are going, hands down. Tech is the focus to make roads safe and with all the new laws for hands free, the easier and better hands free compatibility there is with a phone, the vehicle and roads are safer. The next generations are more phone dependent and will only get worse.
If RAM wants to be bigger in the truck world and keep taking more from Chevy and Ford they need REPEAT buyers as well as NEW buyers. Gen X'ers are the buyers of new trucks and we all know Gen X is a generation that will jump brands. So to set up future sales, RAM needs to keep current owners happy during their ownership of the vehicle so they buy another RAM, not jump to 'who has the cool feature i want'. Even better is moving the whole fleet to FCA. If RAM keeps me happy over the next 2-3 yrs with updates and service, damn right our Acadia ends up being a Durango or other FCA vehicle.

Bradleys

Reaction score
I would love to have wireless CarPlay - I jump in the car for a drive to work, I like to have CarPlay as an option without pulling my phone out of my pocket.

That said, manufacturers have little incentive to provide backword compatibility. Unless it truly only requires a software update PLUS they have no generational hardware updates - you won’t get it.

I think it is more likely that we will see a small dongle that permanently sits in the USB port and provides the wireless connection. A device like that could be sold by either Apple or the aftermarket and expose wireless CarPlay to a much larger audience.

Horizon88

Reaction score
I have wireless CarPlay in my 5 series BMW after they refreshed the design in mid 2017. I was really excited when this feature was introduced. After using it for about 2 years I actually prefer plugging in my phone and here is why... The responsiveness of the system plugged in WAY faster than wireless. It may seem inconvenient to plug in your phone but this can be made easier by installing certain mounts (such as ProClip) for a very easy connection. The alternative is a lower quality of music over the air (in my opinion), slower operation including menu and app loading & Siri responsiveness, and the inability to use wifi while being connected to the CarPlay system since it takes over both bluetooth and wifi connections.

Not to mention that RAM does not have the best track record with the software on the 12"... I personally would like to see a stock solution for easier mounting with a direct connection versus the wireless option. This is of course until the technology catches up to where the above concerns are addressed. In the meantime I am going to enjoy my responsive system :)

tdager

Reaction score
I simply installed a small magnetic mount in the storage bin and put in a 3' coiled plug into USB2. Hope in, plug in, plop on the mag holder....easy peasy. Not too mention Waze sucks battery power, couple that with wireless CarPlay, well I prefer my phone being charged instead of drained. :)

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would never work right, it would always be broken. It would probably connect about 25% of the time..and when it did connect, it would be slow. It doesn't even work all that great now with a hard connection. What makes anyone think it would be better over wifi?

Bradleys

Reaction score
Yeah, have found that aftermarket cables are really intermittent with CarPlay. I had to pull out the Apple cable and put it in the truck so it would be more consistent.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fun to watch this thread unfold - glad @Horizon88 chimed in - if anyone here as actually used wireless Apple CarPlay, you'll know it sucks. My die-hard BMW friend and I have road tripped his X5M quite a few times and wireless carplay is the worst feature of the whole car.

I get the convenience of wireless charging + wireless CarPlay (android user here, i've been using it for years before iOS) and it's good but not great, ymmv. the WiFi on/off connection is really very spotty.

Wired bandwidth > wireless
Wired charging > wireless
Wired Audio quality > wireless

and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread