5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carplay volume issue with all sources

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed noticeably lower volume when CarPlay is active? If I am listening to any source and plug in my phone, the volume seems to "Stick" at 25 or so. Raising it above that doesn't make a difference. It does not matter what source I am using. I set the volume to 30, and when I plug the phone in, it drops (the number stays the same) and loses some of the bass. It's almost like the EQ shuts off and the volume lowers. If I have the phone plugged in and go to 30 on the volume, it doesn't get any louder above 25, but if I unplug the phone, it immediately jumps up and sounds better. Just a weird issue, I can't jam if I am using Waze.

SgtM

Reaction score
Android Auto does the same thing if plugged in. When using it via Bluetooth connection, it doesn't have that issue.

Dysfunctionalmoto

Reaction score
Hello boys and girls having the same issue and just went to the dealership and tested the same radios on other brand new trucks and found out this is a fleet wide issue. I suggest you go in to a dealership show them it does the same thing on other vehicles. Once you do that request for them to put in a request to Chrysler to fix the software. The more people who make the request the faster it will get fixed.

Shives

Reaction score
Same. Bluetooth by its self is good. But it happens when using car play! Or when you attach your usb cable. This is a joke.

51moe

Reaction score
Same here...Service writer wanted me to think I was tripping even tho he ended the conversation saying his Charger does the same thing. :cautious:

Shives

Reaction score
Is there a main/official post for this? Or should we put this up for one? Make it official?
I mean this is to be a known issue, and wondering why nothing has been done.

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Has anyone figured this out? My ‘19 Rebel does the same thing. CarPlay Volume between 25 - 38 is the same decibel level

Shives

Reaction score
No resolve yet, I wish the Mopar staff would chime in here! Seems every Ram I get into, soon as you use the USB cord, the sound turns to trash! This is a horrid issue! But not enough people complain for them to do anything. The sound system is pissing me off

RebelAzula

Reaction score
Aren’t Ram representatives on this site? I literally just purchased my truck and this is one issue that I’m contemplating taking it back. There’s no way a $40,000 truck should have an issue from a factory option that cripples one of the main features that is used as a selling point. A Honda Civic with CarPlay sounds better than this. I didn’t notice this is an issue during the test drive because I’m not cranking the volume on the system during a test drive. Listening to music from your phone through CarPlay with the windows down is not an option at its current state.

I went to the dealer and tried 2 separate RAM’s and 2 separate phones and the issue is all the same.

Shives

Reaction score
It’s SO very dam sad! I pay SO much for this truck, @ramcare what’s the deal? This has been a problem since the dawn of these DT trucks! USB connection has HORRID audio! Bluetooth pass through is 100% better! This seems like a HUGE software oversight. It’s sad as heck that Ram/Mopar/Dodge has not done a darn thing about it. Every new RAM has this same issue.
Hope you don’t expect to charge your phone and listen the the radio above 19! Cause from 19-38 the volume stays the same, and distorts.
And, it’s a direct connection.

What gives, ill bet a fix never comes.

spiG

Reaction score
I feel like it has something to do with the ANC system in our trucks. I ordered the iDatalink bypass plug and should be in tonight to test it out.

Info on one of them says;

"The 2019 Ram ANC bypass harness will let you disconnect the Active nose Cancelling microphones in your truck. This harness will prevent any odd sounding or random pops from happening do to sub-woofer installations i-phone cords or other malfunctions that your ANC could be creating. "

Not sure if its only for when you install aftermarket subs but i'll try it on the stock system without ANC and sub and see what happens.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the ANC, I bypassed the ANC and it still doesnt get any louder past 20 when using Carplay. The only thing I have found to help is the turning the speed volume compensation to 3. Not perfect because its a little too quiet while at a stop but it made a huge difference in sound level while driving. They do need to fix this though.

spiG

Reaction score
Whelp oh well still putting in + new dash speakers. Plan on buying the CPLAY2air wireless carplay adapter so maybe that will help. I haven't tried mine via just bluetooth so not even sure if it's even loud via bluetooth compared to carplay wired.

Shives

Reaction score
Yea, let’s end that question... This has Zero to do with ANC! I mean LESS then ZERO! This has all to do with the USB hardware and encoding/software.

Shives

Reaction score
Whelp oh well still putting in + new dash speakers. Plan on buying the CPLAY2air wireless carplay adapter so maybe that will help. I have tried mine via just bluetooth so not even sure if it's even loud via bluetooth compared to carplay wired.
Anything connected to USB will give the same exact results. Why I have not bought the wireless adapter yet! Plugs into USB! There for audio will suck a donkeys butt

Users who are viewing this thread