5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay over wifi

grinch72

Reaction score
I’m hoping the aftermarket can come up with something to add to our existing unit to make this function. Or FCA come out with something we can add too.
Harmon makes the systems for FCA and they have demoed a wireless solution. With a little luck they may add it in a OTA update but I'm not holding my breath. I dont think any aftermarket dongles, etc, will be coming anytime too soon. To much integration with the head unit to make a dongle work.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Harmon makes the systems for FCA and they have demoed a wireless solution. With a little luck they may add it in a OTA update but I'm not holding my breath. I dont think any aftermarket dongles, etc, will be coming anytime too soon. To much integration with the head unit to make a dongle work.
True. I heard you have to be connected via WiFi. Not sure if that’s true or not. But my truck as WiFi access of so. How can we make it work!!!!!! Haha

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I just don't get the big deal. I've installed quite a few wireless CarPlay radios.... if its there it's nice I suppose. But I like to plug my phone in to be charged. Definitely not worth spending extra money for.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just don't get the big deal. I've installed quite a few wireless CarPlay radios.... if its there it's nice I suppose. But I like to plug my phone in to be charged. Definitely not worth spending extra money for.

That’s why I have the wireless pad in my truck for it to charge. I just want to get in the truck and place the phone in the wireless charging dock and that’s it. Connected to CarPlay automatically wirelessly. Forget getting the cable and sometimes the cable gets in the slot of the holder. I then have to take that out then put in the phone. It’s just annoying. Plus I like the clean look with no wires showing.

Soccerdude892

Reaction score
Sigh...having a wireless charge pad and then having to plug in for for CarPlay just doesn’t make sense. That’s like ordering through the drive thru and then having to go inside to get your food!

I can’t think of a good reason why this hasn’t been enabled or why Apple hasn’t made a wireless dongle yet.

Sincerely misery loves company

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are the chances maps fills our 12” screen in iOS 13? I’m doubting it but it would be sweet.

Attachments

• 5BB45752-0E4F-45C8-AC63-27ADD8F04E5B.jpeg
    5BB45752-0E4F-45C8-AC63-27ADD8F04E5B.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 57

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
A possible solution would be to source a standalone USB Wifi transmitter. Then see if the truck will recognize carplay over Wifi > USB. Not sure if they even make one though.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sigh...having a wireless charge pad and then having to plug in for for CarPlay just doesn’t make sense. That’s like ordering through the drive thru and then having to go inside to get your food!

I can’t think of a good reason why this hasn’t been enabled or why Apple hasn’t made a wireless dongle yet.

Sincerely misery loves company
It would be sweet (and a money-maker) if a USB-powered wireless CarPlay / Android Auto adapter (WiFi / Bluetooth hub) were offered as a “go-between” the phone and UConnect system.

I just installed a retrofit wireless CarPlay module in my wife’s Audi, but it was a little involved (since her MMI 3G+ system wasn’t designed to support CarPlay).

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Auto manufacturers have to license (aka pay for) carplay for their vehicles. Apple charges more for wireless than wired carplay and so most choose to go wired and save some bucks. This is also why there's no officially supported wireless adapters.

Rau

Reaction score
I checked with carlinkit, they say they will have updated version in October that supports wireless carplay in 2019 RAM.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked with carlinkit, they say they will have updated version in October that supports wireless carplay in 2019 RAM.
Are you serious? Awesome man. Thanks for checking with them. Best news I got today.

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
As a person who tried out ios 13 in the beta stage, i have not come across any full screen functionality in any of the apps. Nor did i get to pick two different Car-play cards. Theres just a complete re-design of carplay, and an ability to see multiple app tasks from one screen. Calendar, map, music, and whatever from one screen.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a person who tried out ios 13 in the beta stage, i have not come across any full screen functionality in any of the apps. Nor did i get to pick two different Car-play cards. Theres just a complete re-design of carplay, and an ability to see multiple app tasks from one screen. Calendar, map, music, and whatever from one screen.
Yeah, I tested this yesterday as well. Oh well. Maybe in the future FCA allows this. I can only hope. I just want wireless CarPlay. Through an update or a dongle.

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
Yeah, I tested this yesterday as well. Oh well. Maybe in the future FCA allows this. I can only hope. I just want wireless CarPlay. Through an update or a dongle.
I am not 100% positive on this, but talking to a salesman at a dealer at their dealership open house, i heard there is supposed too be an update this October to support wireless apple CarPlay. might just be a rumor but he was pretty adamant it was coming.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not 100% positive on this, but talking to a salesman at a dealer at their dealership open house, i heard there is supposed too be an update this October to support wireless apple CarPlay. might just be a rumor but he was pretty adamant it was coming.

Man that would be sweet. Are these update over the air or do we have to go to the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread