5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay over wifi

ablock

Reaction score
So when I use CarPlay on our 2018 BMW 3-series, the CarPlay connection happens automatically when I get in the car, without connecting a cable. Apparently the CarPlay system in the car broadcasts its own wifi which the phone automatically connects to.

This wireless feature is not available in my previous 3-series, or on the Alpine stereo in our RV. On both those systems I need to connect a USB cable.

I am able to get CarPlay working in the Ram 1500 when I connected the USB cable, but have not been able to figure out how to make CP work wirelessly. Has anyone got this working?

ablock

Reaction score
That's a bummer. I wonder why they went with the older tech.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
That's a bummer. I wonder why they went with the older tech.

I suspect down the line it will be enabled via OTA update.

FCA is having their share of security problems with their technology, and forcing a connection over cable will help prevent your car from being susceptible to attack remotely.

I had no idea how poorly security is integrated into the architecture of their cars until I saw a demo using a Jeep Wrangler at a security conference last summer.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect down the line it will be enabled via OTA update.

FCA is having their share of security problems with their technology, and forcing a connection over cable will help prevent your car from being susceptible to attack remotely.

I had no idea how poorly security is integrated into the architecture of their cars until I saw a demo using a Jeep Wrangler at a security conference last summer.
Man I’m really hoping it can be done in a OTA update. Is there a website where we can suggest this to FCA?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram isn’t giving anything away for free. That will be on next year’s model and you know what, some people will trade because if it. Tech sells now, not mechanics.
I’ll just do a swap on the radio. Although I hope this current hardware supports it.

cmdr bobert

Reaction score
I’ll just do a swap on the radio. Although I hope this current hardware supports it.

The 1500 has the networking components - there's nothing to add I can see. For all we know, it may be that Apple has to provide updates to FCA before it can be pushed.

I would be shocked if they make it a paid feature for next year, I honestly believe it's held up to ensure they don't accidentally expose their vehicles to hacks.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 1500 has the networking components - there's nothing to add I can see. For all we know, it may be that Apple has to provide updates to FCA before it can be pushed.

I would be shocked if they make it a paid feature for next year, I honestly believe it's held up to ensure they don't accidentally expose their vehicles to hacks.

Its FCA. I contacted Apple already and they said they have it available since iOS 9. They said FCA will have to enable it. I also requested with Apple to have apple maps use the wholse screen. Hopefully they can do that.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Its FCA. I contacted Apple already and they said they have it available since iOS 9. They said FCA will have to enable it. I also requested with Apple to have apple maps use the wholse screen. Hopefully they can do that.

Whole screen won’t happen. Apple isn’t going to redesign their app for one manufacture. I suspect much like the 8.4, a new unit with WiFi will need to be released. Either way it takes .3 seconds to plug in and they provide a nice place to set the phone, doesn’t bother me at all. Especially since wireless CP could really chew up some battery life.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A
Whole screen won’t happen. Apple isn’t going to redesign their app for one manufacture. I suspect much like the 8.4, a new unit with WiFi will need to be released. Either way it takes .3 seconds to plug in and they provide a nice place to set the phone, doesn’t bother me at all. Especially since wireless CP could really chew up some battery life.
still would prefer it.

ablock

Reaction score
Either way it takes .3 seconds to plug in and they provide a nice place to set the phone, doesn’t bother me at all. Especially since wireless CP could really chew up some battery life.

The issue isn't the time it takes to plug the phone in, it's that you have to take it out of your pocket to do so. If I plug the phone in, I often forget and leave it in the truck. When CarPlay works over wifi, as in our BMW, I never take the phone out of my jacket pocket and therefore have no opportunity to forget it.

Haven't noticed any shortening of battery life when using CP in the BMW...the wifi radio is always on anyway.

ablock

Reaction score
Also, the built in UConnect software is good enough that in many cases I don't even care about CarPlay, except for one thing: when playing a podcast over the Bluetooth connection, there is no 30 second skip back/forward option (just previous/next track). The Overcast CarPlay app has big skip buttons which allow you to replay something you missed or skip over ads.

sass

Reaction score
I like plugging my phone in. I travel for work and on long drives and no cell signal for hours that help drain the battery while on Bluetooth, having the phone plugged in and fully charged is a big bonus.

citpyrkf

Reaction score
Man. i just upgraded from my iPhone 6s Plus to an iPhone Xs, and was very excited to take advantage of cable free charging in the Ram . . . but then I forgot about Apple Car Play which I love. So now I need to keep plugging in even though I have a phone that can charge without cables. Please FCA, do the right thing and give us his feature without making us pay. It should have been included if you are going to have both Apple Car Play AND wireless charging.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man. i just upgraded from my iPhone 6s Plus to an iPhone Xs, and was very excited to take advantage of cable free charging in the Ram . . . but then I forgot about Apple Car Play which I love. So now I need to keep plugging in even though I have a phone that can charge without cables. Please FCA, do the right thing and give us his feature without making us pay. It should have been included if you are going to have both Apple Car Play AND wireless charging.
Hell I’d pay for it. I don’t care.

grinch72

Reaction score
These are the ONLY cars that support Wireless CarPlay!! Yes, even after it being available since iOS 9, this is it!!
  • BMW 2017 5 Series
  • BMW 2018 3 Series
  • Audi 2019 A6 (unconfirmed)
  • Audi 2019 A7
  • Audi 2019 A8
  • Audi 2019 Q8 (unconfirmed)
  • Audi 2020 e-tron SUV
  • Lamborghini Urus
  • Mercedes 2018 A-Class (Q3 2018)
  • Mercedes 2019 GLE (MBUX system)
  • Mini 2018 LCI Hatch & Convertible range
  • Toyota 2020 Supra

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m hoping the aftermarket can come up with something to add to our existing unit to make this function. Or FCA come out with something we can add too.

Users who are viewing this thread