5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CarPlay Not Connecting

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all,

Since I’ve owned my truck I have had mornings where I get in, plug my phone in, and drive away and notice the car play icon hasn’t shown up.It’s happened countless times but is not consistent. Once the truck is in and phone plugged in there seems to be no way to get CarPlay to come up. Has anyone had issues similar to this, or know how to get CarPlay to come up in this scenario? Thanks!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all,

Since I’ve owned my truck I have had mornings where I get in, plug my phone in, and drive away and notice the car play icon hasn’t shown up.It’s happened countless times but is not consistent. Once the truck is in and phone plugged in there seems to be no way to get CarPlay to come up. Has anyone had issues similar to this, or know how to get CarPlay to come up in this scenario? Thanks!

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a few occasions where Android Auto doesn't come up, but mine has been easily solved by unplugging it for a second and plugging it back in. At least in my case I seem to have less trouble if I plug it in before I start the truck or after the radio has completely 'booted up' (IE- wait until the radio station, etc is displayed). Have you tried a different cable?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a few occasions where Android Auto doesn't come up, but mine has been easily solved by unplugging it for a second and plugging it back in. At least in my case I seem to have less trouble if I plug it in before I start the truck or after the radio has completely 'booted up' (IE- wait until the radio station, etc is displayed). Have you tried a different cable?
I haven't tried another cable yet, but will do this next as it seems like the easiest fix if it works! Thank you for the suggestion.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update; I went out and tried to delete my phone from the truck and restart it all etc etc. I did all of this and repaired. Once I got to the point of selecting the truck from the Carplay menu it shows nothing. The loading wheel just spins continuously and no options are displayed. Something is definitely wrong here.

xcarolina

Reaction score
Just an update; I went out and tried to delete my phone from the truck and restart it all etc etc. I did all of this and repaired. Once I got to the point of selecting the truck from the Carplay menu it shows nothing. The loading wheel just spins continuously and no options are displayed. Something is definitely wrong here.
I'm not an iPhone guy, but I'll try to help. Have you ensured your phone's iOS version and all relevant apps are up to date? Also, make sure the cable you are using is high quality, try different cables as well. I would also consider doing a "soft reset" of your phone, I have learned that most iPhone quirks are solved with doing one. A simple Google search will provide you with instructions on this for your specific model; on older iPhones it was a combination of home+power+vol down I believe and had to be held until the Apple logo reappears. This clears the local cache which can sometimes contain buggy info which can cause small issues/lag. I hope this can put you in a good direction!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OtterRam

Reaction score
Do you have anything else plugged in + charging? Sometimes when I leave my AirPods plugged in and charging, if I plug my phone in second it will NOT load CarPlay.

I need to unplug my AirPods followed by replugging in my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not an iPhone guy, but I'll try to help. Have you ensured your phone's iOS version and all relevant apps are up to date? Also, make sure the cable you are using is high quality, try different cables as well. I would also consider doing a "soft reset" of your phone, I have learned that most iPhone quirks are solved with doing one. A simple Google search will provide you with instructions on this for your specific model; on older iPhones it was a combination of home+power+vol down I believe and had to be held until the Apple logo reappears. This clears the local cache which can sometimes contain buggy info which can cause small issues/lag. I hope this can put you in a good direction!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
I have tried all of the above, used three cables, disconnected the phone, reset it, radio as well. Nothing has made any progress yet. Appreciate the input!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have anything else plugged in + charging? Sometimes when I leave my AirPods plugged in and charging, if I plug my phone in second it will NOT load CarPlay.

I need to unplug my AirPods followed by replugging in my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting! I don’t have anything else plugged in usually but that’s an odd one!

Kidder

Reaction score
I have tried all of the above, used three cables, disconnected the phone, reset it, radio as well. Nothing has made any progress yet. Appreciate the input!
Not to beat a dead horse, but I assume the cables are OEM Apple cables? My Samsung Note 8 Android Auto would not work with anything but an OEM Samsung cord. I'm sure you have already tried this with your phone/Apple Car Play but I didn't want to assume.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but I assume the cables are OEM Apple cables? My Samsung Note 8 Android Auto would not work with anything but an OEM Samsung cord. I'm sure you have already tried this with your phone/Apple Car Play but I didn't want to assume.
Thats correct, I tried two genuine apple cables, and one after market to no avail.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thats correct, I tried two genuine apple cables, and one after market to no avail.
@z0n3 Here's what I did to find out what the issue was with mine, which ultimately helped me figure out where the problem was.
I've made a music thumb drive and plugged it into the secondary USB. If that works, great. Leave it there. Next time your USB cuts out, see if Uconnect detects that device and you will know if it's the phone (unlikely).

In my case, it would disconnect both my iPhone and thumb drive at the same time intermittently, which pointed to the USB hub being the culprit. Dealer finally confirmed this while happening, and upon disassembly, found that there was a bent connector on the hub, which had happened at the factory during assembly. Once they fixed this, I've had zero issues with disconnects since January.

Hope you get it resolved. Mine operated like this for a year and a half. Sometimes I would dream of stopping at the first dealer I found and trading it in for this alone.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@z0n3 Here's what I did to find out what the issue was with mine, which ultimately helped me figure out where the problem was.
I've made a music thumb drive and plugged it into the secondary USB. If that works, great. Leave it there. Next time your USB cuts out, see if Uconnect detects that device and you will know if it's the phone (unlikely).

In my case, it would disconnect both my iPhone and thumb drive at the same time intermittently, which pointed to the USB hub being the culprit. Dealer finally confirmed this while happening, and upon disassembly, found that there was a bent connector on the hub, which had happened at the factory during assembly. Once they fixed this, I've had zero issues with disconnects since January.

Hope you get it resolved. Mine operated like this for a year and a half. Sometimes I would dream of stopping at the first dealer I found and trading it in for this alone.
Interesting. Mine seems less of an intermittent problem now as all functionality from a USB plug in stand point doesnt work. My carplay either worked or it didnt whenever the truck turned on. It would change during a drive or anything.

RedBeard85

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Happens once every few weeks, and I cant seem to find a cause.

At first I thought it would happen if I used remote start and plugged in the phone prior to putting the engine from blinking acc to engaged. Turns out that is not the issue.

Probably a dealer fix?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Happens once every few weeks, and I cant seem to find a cause.

At first I thought it would happen if I used remote start and plugged in the phone prior to putting the engine from blinking acc to engaged. Turns out that is not the issue.

Probably a dealer fix?
Yeah I had those reoccurring issues, one day it happened and I decided to unpair my phone to try and remedy the issue.. well that like broke it for good. Now I’m waiting for the front media hub to get replaced. Fools in parts ordered the rear hub..

RedBeard85

Reaction score
bummer. I unpaired at one point as well but was able to get it connected again. No idea why other than potentially a fuse or wiring issue...

godspeed @z0n3

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bummer. I unpaired at one point as well but was able to get it connected again. No idea why other than potentially a fuse or wiring issue...

godspeed @z0n3
Does you radio say device not supported when you plug in? It sounds like you may need a new hub as well!

RedBeard85

Reaction score
It does not say not supported, it just doesnt respond to plugging in occasionally. Next time I go in for dealer service I will address it and update .

RamCares

Reaction score

Probably a dealer fix?

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
It does not say not supported, it just doesnt respond to plugging in occasionally. Next time I go in for dealer service I will address it and update .

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread