5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carpeted Wheel Wells

pabla

Reaction score
My 2019 limited is a fairly quiet truck but as the speeds pick up you here more and more tire noise than expected. Ive noticed that in many high end cars that I've owned they all come with carpeted wheel well liners to mitigate the tire noise. On Fords and Chevys they have this on their trucks as well, and I have noticed they don't experience much tire noise at speed. I was wondering if it were to be possible to get a set of liners made of the carpeted fabric? Any one know of any possible vendors that may be able to do this? I know carpeted liners are way harder to clean but I am almost 100% certain they'll help the tire noise.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've looked at these on a number of Jeeps and although everyone calls them 'carpeted,' I believe the wheel house material starts off with a fiber-type coating and molded into shape. Or, the material is sprayed on.

I haven't done so yet, but after I close this note I'm going to see if there's an aftermarket solution for this.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029431 miles.

pabla

Reaction score
I've looked at these on a number of Jeeps and although everyone calls them 'carpeted,' I believe the wheel house material starts off with a fiber-type coating and molded into shape. Or, the material is sprayed on.

I haven't done so yet, but after I close this note I'm going to see if there's an aftermarket solution for this.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029431 miles.
Yea it’s more fibrous material than a carpeted material per say. Some cars with a denser material.

Damion

Reaction score
You could also take the liners down, and apply a sound deadening material to the back side of them......

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my .02 if you look into how sound deadening works, the frequencies you're hoping to cancel for road noise are on the lower/bass spectrum.

I'd bet a square patch about 1/3rd the size of the wheel house applied to the largest flat area (middle section) would cut a huge amount of sound by not allowing the wheelhouse to resonate. even a thick patch of bedliner sprayed in as noted above would work

pabla

Reaction score
You could also take the liners down, and apply a sound deadening material to the back side of them......
I was thinking that too haven’t checked how much room there is back there to put some sound deadening

pabla

Reaction score
my .02 if you look into how sound deadening works, the frequencies you're hoping to cancel for road noise are on the lower/bass spectrum.

I'd bet a square patch about 1/3rd the size of the wheel house applied to the largest flat area (middle section) would cut a huge amount of sound by not allowing the wheelhouse to resonate. even a thick patch of bedliner sprayed in as noted above would work
Maybe as someone notes above putting in some sound deadening on the inside, but as you said a square patch might suffice

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are pickup trucks, not luxury cars. That said I do find my truck pretty quit especially in the rain where a lot of other vehicles are more noisy from the spray. Might be partially do to the fact the rear wheels do not protrude into the cab but the bed so you only hear the noise off the front tires.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are pickup trucks, not luxury cars. That said I do find my truck pretty quit especially in the rain where a lot of other vehicles are more noisy from the spray. Might be partially do to the fact the rear wheels do not protrude into the cab but the bed so you only hear the noise off the front tires.
Carpeted inner fender wells is not very truck-like, is it?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carpeted inner fender wells is not very truck-like, is it?

No, they are more for fancy cars where you are not going to worry about loading them up with mud and dirt, plastic much easier to clean.

pabla

Reaction score
I say just live with it. It's just a truck.
You’d think that until you see double front glazed windows which is only reserved for some pretty high end cars but yea I do agree it’s not a pressing issue either just wanted to throw a topic up there for discussion and to see if maybe someone has had a similar thought!

pabla

Reaction score
No, they are more for fancy cars where you are not going to worry about loading them up with mud and dirt, plastic much easier to clean.
Surprised though that they’re being put in F-150 and Silverado

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First time I saw them on a Chevy truck, I thought “wow how cheap what’s this cardboard with carpet glued to it?” Then I saw how thin the liners are in our trucks, and it’s a toss up.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’d think that until you see double front glazed windows which is only reserved for some pretty high end cars but yea I do agree it’s not a pressing issue either just wanted to throw a topic up there for discussion and to see if maybe someone has had a similar thought!
Actually, the more I think about it, my bed is lined with carpet so...

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to dedicate about 30 minutes yesterday searching on line for either aftermarket Ram silenced wheel house liners, or a post manufacturer aftermarket solution.

Found nothing.

However, there were already a few comments about spraying currently available products which might be the better solution, anyways.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029475 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread