5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carolina Squat banned in own state

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally! Hated that look.

HAHA I love this part!

Richard Tucker of Cove City, North Carolina boldly explained 'I’m signing this because not only is it dangerous to other drivers and it blinds people but it looks stupid something needs to be done about this.'

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you're still allowed a difference of up to 4" front-to-rear, so it may not be going away completely. And since the technicality is a measurement from the ground, through the centerline of the wheel, to the fender, then I imagine people will just add thickened fender flares up front to lessen that measurement.

That's what I'd do....at least, if I was into that sort of thing.

1631128558827.png

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I admit this is not a good look. But if we let the state come after the squatted trucks of those lacking good taste, next time, the state will come after our lift kits, off-road tires and performance tuning. To protect our own freedoms, we have to protect the freedoms of others that use their freedoms differently than we do.

This has been another 30-second public service announcement by Handy. Donations welcome. :cool:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I admit this is not a good look. But if we let the state come after the squatted trucks of those lacking good taste, next time, the state will come after our lift kits, off-road tires and performance tuning. To protect our own freedoms, we have to protect the freedoms of others that use their freedoms differently than we do.

This has been another 30-second public service announcement by Handy. Donations welcome. :cool:
I agree that it could set a precedent, but a properly aimed headlight on a lifted truck *shouldn't* blind oncoming traffic. I say shouldn't because you know there are those 12" lifts with 40's that are just so freaking high. But if they banned that I'd argue that we'd have to ban dump trucks and semi's too because of their height.

Side note, I saw a guy yesterday with a squatted truck with at the max 10% tint on his windshield. Does he just not drive at night?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
Vehicles are already regulated for safety, and these "squatted" abominations are entirely unsafe. As far as lifts and wheels go, there are legal limitations. Headlights can only be so high, tires can only stick out so far past the body... limitations on window tint anyone? The precedent was set LONG ago.

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This has nothing to do with Freedom. You're altering the vehicle configuration and dynamics the way it was designed. This has everything to do with safety......yours and others.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Freedom. You're altering the vehicle configuration and dynamics the way it was designed. This has everything to do with safety......yours and others.
Let's look at a very similar argument. Adding aftermarket lift kits, suspension parts and tires bigger than the manufacturer recommends alters the vehicle configuration and dynamics the way it was designed. This has everything to do with safety......yours and others.

Humm. Those two statement sound a lot alike. In my profession, I'm often amazed at how people's risk tolerance changes when discussing what they do as opposed to what others do. Better to live and let live. Then when oppression comes, which it always eventually does, we can stand against it together no matter the way our trucks are lifted or squatted. Please remember this when you are forced to pay an annual gas guzzler tax of several thousand dollars in order to license and drive your Ram. :(

Last edited:

Ratchet

Reaction score
Lift kits have their place and can serve a legit purpose. Squatting a truck does not. Period. Well, it actually does. Most of the squatter folks tend to blow out axles, ball joints, universal joints etc in 5-6,000 miles because they took the absolute cheapest route to do so generally, which is good for business. A few inches of lift (front and rear together) and most OEM headlamps are still able to be adjusted to the speficied level. It's a big errrrrnt on some of these ball draggers. Also, most of the squatted vehicles have to ice the cake and have pretty much removed any form of factory installed exhaust components which makes them sound like complete dookie. There's a huge difference between noise and sound. Being near the heart of this crap here in NC, you can hear them parading through town all hours of the night. It's unfortunate. LOL

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lift kits have their place and can serve a legit purpose. Squatting a truck does not. Period. Well, it actually does. Most of the squatter folks tend to blow out axles, ball joints, universal joints etc in 5-6,000 miles because they took the absolute cheapest route to do so generally, which is good for business. A few inches of lift (front and rear together) and most OEM headlamps are still able to be adjusted to the speficied level. It's a big errrrrnt on some of these ball draggers. Also, most of the squatted vehicles have to ice the cake and have pretty much removed any form of factory installed exhaust components which makes them sound like complete dookie. There's a huge difference between noise and sound. Being near the heart of this crap here in NC, you can hear them parading through town all hours of the night. It's unfortunate. LOL
You sure know a lot about how to set these things up.
ARE YOU A SQUATTER???

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate, hate, hate, it, but have to agree it is setting a precedent and could be a slippery slope we are heading down. Next's it lifted trucks, before you know it any tire size that is not OEM will be banned, after market bumpers, etc.

That's why there isn't any common sense gun laws. If they get too much rope, they'll hang us.

Users who are viewing this thread