5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli Performance 2.5" Install and First Impressions

theduster22

Reaction score
That sounds fun and all but are you trying to break your truck?
Well it wasn't exactly my intention to break anything, no.

I was just out there trying to have some fun and in the end it happened. Definitely didn't just spend $10k for a mall crawler that's for sure ... but also now I know where the limit is with this system.

RedBeard85

Reaction score
Love it. Im probably going to do something similar as well.

Most shops I have been to with regard to 3-4" lifts only reccomend a few kits on the market. For instance the cheaper Readylifts, pro comps, etc have across the board been discouraged due the additional wear they would provide on the axle shaft, ball joints, etc. Any similar experiences/thoughts? Im weary of some lift shops that may have dealer relationships with certain wheels, tires, kits... Maybe discouraging certain brands in order to maintain their relationships/profit margins?

Random question - what is ORG?

Last edited:

DAM951

Reaction score

Most shops I have been to with regard to 3-4" lifts only reccomend a few kits on the market. For instance the cheaper Readylifts, pro comps, etc have across the board been discouraged due the additional wear they would provide on the axle shaft, ball joints, etc. Any similar experiences/thoughts? Im weary of some lift shops that may have dealer relationships with certain wheels, tires, kits... Maybe discouraging certain brands in order to maintain their relationships/profit margins?

Carli is currently rebuilding their kit. You also have the ability to get:

883-26-078: KIT: 19-ON Ram 1500 w/ UCA, Front Coil-Over, 2.5 Truck FRS, R/R, 3” Lift, DSC
883-26-079: KIT: 19-ON Ram 1500, Rear, 2.5 Truck FRS, P/B, 0-2” Lift, DSC
Upper control arm from Icon, BDS or Total Chaos

This would give you a pretty similar set up for the truck.

i have run into a lot of shops that list the same issues with the cheaper 3-4” kits

DAM951

Reaction score

@RedBeard85 also if you check out AccuTune Off-road they will Pre-Tune the coil overs and rear shocks for what your needs are.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Carli is currently rebuilding their kit. You also have the ability to get:

883-26-078: KIT: 19-ON Ram 1500 w/ UCA, Front Coil-Over, 2.5 Truck FRS, R/R, 3” Lift, DSC
883-26-079: KIT: 19-ON Ram 1500, Rear, 2.5 Truck FRS, P/B, 0-2” Lift, DSC
Upper control arm from Icon, BDS or Total Chaos

This would give you a pretty similar set up for the truck.

i have run into a lot of shops that list the same issues with the cheaper 3-4” kits

I'm interested in their rebuild. (I haven't hit their site in a few weeks.) My preference is to increase the capability, keep the handling and ride, and I also like the rake that it has...not interested in a level.

DAM951

Reaction score
I'm interested in their rebuild. (I haven't hit their site in a few weeks.) My preference is to increase the capability, keep the handling and ride, and I also like the rake that it has...not interested in a level.
I am mistaken in my comment above.

The Performance series is the same and running the King 2.5s with King 2.5s in the rear.

I was looking at the commuter series which has Fox 2.5s in the front and Fox 2.0s in the rear.

I personally went through Accutune Off-road in El Cajon and had custom tuned Fox 2.5 w/ DSC Coilovers for the front and Fox 2.5s w/DSC in the rear Since the Carli Performance is back-ordered.

Icon UCA and Icon Rear 2 Stage Spring as well.

IamPhantom

Reaction score
Nice, honest review. Looks good man. 250 pounds will definitely drop the rear end on these coils. I put my dirt bike in the bed and I’m down at least an inch. My Fox 2.5 front coilovers are friggin awesome. Fox 2.0 shocks in the rear. I have stock rear ORG springs and need another inch. Was planning on adding a 1 inch rear spacer but will definitely be looking at these 2” Dobinson coils! I think I’m about $6,500 all in with my suspension/wheels/tires. Upgrading ain’t cheap!
How is your suspension working out now? I’m looking to get fox 2.5 front coilovers and 2.0 in the rear with icon uca and rear springs?

Midgetsdontfloat

Reaction score
How is your suspension working out now? I’m looking to get fox 2.5 front coilovers and 2.0 in the rear with icon uca and rear springs?
I'm also super interested to get a long term update! I've got the commuter kit and the UCA's, 35's, methods, etc getting installed in a month and a half on my 20' sport.

Reactions: c3k

Moto21

Reaction score
Desert was FUN ... until I broke something!

Still trying to figure out exactly where the issue is coming from ... I'm getting a loud metal clunking sound going over bumps and when I turn the wheel left to 10 o'clock and back to 2 o'clock again. Tried swapping out a front stabilizer end link thinking that might be the problem, but no luck there. Taking it in to Powerhouse tomorrow to get it looked at...maybe a CV issue.

The shocks performed amazing though ... definitely got some air ... 1-2ft whoops and ruts felt like nothing, truck floated right over it at high speeds with very little drama.

Once I started getting a bit overly confident and hitting some of the larger whoops (which admittedly I shouldn't have), that's when things got a little dicey. All in all, the suspension was everything I hoped it would be and I can't wait to get back out there now that I have a better idea of where the limit is.
Old post but, the metal noise you are hearing is most likely the shock topping out. the kings arent as long as the fox's so out of the box with carlis measurement you should only have about 1" of shock down travel left which is about 1.75" of wheel travel. compared to fox which is a little over 24" extended. so given if you were at same preload height on each one you would have almost an extra inch of down travel at the wheels with the fox's. They also have a little more compression to them 1/4" or so. I have the carli kit on mine and am a little bummed its lacking the travel of the fox's up front. Kings measure 5.416" of travel fox's are 6.25" in the rear the kings are longer than fox.

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Old post but, the metal noise you are hearing is most likely the shock topping out. the kings arent as long as the fox's so out of the box with carlis measurement you should only have about 1" of shock down travel left which is about 1.75" of wheel travel. compared to fox which is a little over 24" extended. so given if you were at same preload height on each one you would have almost an extra inch of down travel at the wheels with the fox's. They also have a little more compression to them 1/4" or so. I have the carli kit on mine and am a little bummed its lacking the travel of the fox's up front. Kings measure 5.416" of travel fox's are 6.25" in the rear the kings are longer than fox.
Can you expand on where your getting your specifics from? Specific shock pn's and coil rates would be great.

L.R.

Moto21

Reaction score
Can you expand on where your getting your specifics from? Specific shock pn's and coil rates would be great.

L.R.
Carli/king extended length king coilovers. And the fox’s ending in -166 fox specs are easy to find, king ones i had to call for specs and did my own measuring to get the specs. The kings are 18.064” compressed and 23.525 extended. Fox are 17.78 compressed and 24.03 extended.

Ive cheated it a little made my own 1/2” thick disk for the top of the shocks. Brought it down to 24.025 extended wound about 3.5-4 turns off the preload brought me back down to ride height i was originally, but now at least its closer to 2.5” of down travel at the wheel. Doesnt increase bump travel. But put the suspension cycle a tiny bit closer to center. I can still drop the spring preload some more to put me around 21.5” ride height top hat to bottom bolt.

Unfortunately king uses a 3.25” spring on theirs and the bottom plate is too large to be able to cut the bottom external shaft spacer down a bit. It will hit the cv shaft. Havent tore them apart yet so im not sure if theres room inside for the piston to still travel up or not. But it doesnt matter. Fox uses a 2.5” spring and a deeper spring perch allowing the shock to pass the cv a bit more.

theduster22

Reaction score
It was a busted sway bar link, super minor easy fix. Shocks are perfect

n0bdy

Reaction score
Hi 5th Gen Ram Crew,

After patiently waiting 7 months since I ordered the Carli Performance lift from CJC Off Road, I finally have it installed and tested! Thought I'd put together an initial review for those of you who are interested in learning more.

My Truck:
2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn Quadcab, Hemi eTorque, 4x4 ORG, Tow Package, 3.92s

Aftermarket Gear:
And NOW:

Reasons for buying the Kit:
  1. Stock truck had crappy break-over Angle, would hit Skid Plates on everything (even with ORG)
  2. Wanted to fit bigger Tires for looks, clearance, off road grip
  3. I was looking for a heavy duty kit that retained the amazing on-road stock comfort and performance while significantly boosting off road performance
  4. I live in San Francisco and love watching the Prius drivers squirm. Even better when I tell them mine is a hybrid too :ROFLMAO:

Before:
View attachment 107171

After:
View attachment 107181

Review!

After I picked up the truck from Shaffers Off Road, who did the install, I drove the truck home and around town for a few days (~75miles). The plan was to do a 3 day on/off road camping trip through the Sierra Lakes in Tahoe/Plumas Forests. Total drive was around 450 miles (375 on road, 75 off road) and the off road portions were half/half slow-moving rocky terrain and dirt roads. I did this exact trip in July with the stock truck.

Initial Impressions:

Ride Comfort -
  • On Road: The first 500miles it was stiffer than stock, though now it seems to be virtually exactly the same as the stock ORG suspension (I believe the ORG is stiffer than the non-air, non-ORG suspension)
  • Off Road: The Stock truck was great on gravel/dirt but would dive when going over rocks. It was still comfortable but not super sure-footed. The Carli suspension is firmer for sure and would bounce back quite hard, though the truck no longer dives. I expect I can combat this bouncing feeling with lowering the tire pressure while off road. (during the test I kept them at street pressure ~36 PSI, just like I did with the stock truck)
Handling -
  • On Road: When I first drove it, the front felt like it was floating all over the place and I have a feeling it was because it hadn't settled. Now it drives very close to stock. Not better or worse than stock just a slightly different feeling. The best description I can think off is the Ram stock feels like a car, now it feels like a well-planted truck. Braking is a hair worse because of the weight of the wheels and tires but totally fine. Passenger Tire rubs on full lock in reverse even after minor trimming
  • Off Road: I would say the Carli setup gives you more confidence off road, with more predictability. I haven't done any desert laps yet, so I'm not sure how it compares there.
Drivability and MPG -
  • On Road: I haven't had the computer set for the larger tires, so take this with a grain of salt. I could definitely feel the wind/aerodynamics (or lack of) more and there is more downshifting, just like any time you put larger/heavier tires on. Surprisingly, the truck doesn't feel any less powerful and I expect that's due to the 3.92s in the rear taking up the slack. The Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws are fantastic and I got them because of the insane snow performance I had on the stock 255s. The 295s are LT spec (18mm tread depth vs 13mm in the stock ones) and are super quiet. If you don't buy the Carli Kit, buy these for sure!
  • Off Road: MPG difference is nominal. The added height makes it virtually impossible to see where you are driving on rocky roads - I'm going to add a front camera asap!
Here's a summary table of my initial impressions:

View attachment 107160

Here's a Video of the truck off road. This trail is meant for Jeeps and SWB 4x4s. Last time I took the truck here that big rock in the middle scraped the entire underbody and nearly threw me over the edge of the trail. Wide angle lens makes it look much less severe. Very happy with the new clearance! On the way down, I did it without the spotter and it was easy

Stance

This is my main issue with the kit. The stance is way off and is an inch higher in the front than the back, unloaded. The Camper Shell and BedRug add around 250lbs but that shouldn't lose ~1.5 inches (they say the kit should have a 0.5" rake, rear tall). It looks like this issue happens with Rebels and Carli is developing 1inch taller rear springs for this kit - I suspect the issue is also with all ORGs too but can't say for sure. I might add a 1inch spacer in the rear and see how it goes, as it might be a few months before Carli release the new ones. EDIT, found the link here that explains it: https://carlisuspension.com/2019-ram-1500-rebel/

Originally, after looking at everyone's lift posts in this forum, I thought I would only gain 1.5inches in the front because I already had the ORG. The actual lift is way more than 1.5in. So, I can say with confidence, you will probably have a 2-2.5inch lift over the ORG (3.5in from stock maybe? Not sure). If someone else can measure their Stock ORG and comment, that would be much appreciated!

Here's my measurements after the lift: (like an idiot I forgot to measure before the lift, sorry!!!)

Front floor to wheel well: 41 1/4 in
Front top of Tire to well: 8 1/8 in
Driver door jam to floor: 21 1/4 in
Rear door jamb to floor: 19 1/2 in
Rear floor to wheel well: 40 1/2 in
Rear top of tire to well: 7 in

Unloaded Stance:
View attachment 107177

Conclusion

It was an expensive setup ~$9k for everything installed (parts/install/balancing/alignment) and I think it still has a bit of work to show me its true value. If you have ORG or Rebel, I would suggest waiting until they've released the specific kit. I'm really happy that I have way more ground clearance now and can't wait to take the truck on some more adventures!! Here's some bonus pics:

View attachment 107178
View attachment 107179
Edit,
This build is serving as a big inspiration to my upcoming build. Cheers, thing rocks

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This build is serving as a big inspiration to my upcoming build. Cheers, thing rocks
you can't go wrong with that.
just know that with Carli Performance pack you don't get the adjusters because Carli doesn't believe in that.

if you want to have the ability to have "on road" and "off road" mode while sacrificing a little bit of droop in the front, you can go with Fox 2.5 DSC Ext instead of Carli Kings, then use Carli UCA, Carli rear springs, and Carli rear end link!

n0bdy

Reaction score
you can't go wrong with that.
just know that with Carli Performance pack you don't get the adjusters because Carli doesn't believe in that.

if you want to have the ability to have "on road" and "off road" mode while sacrificing a little bit of droop in the front, you can go with Fox 2.5 DSC Ext instead of Carli Kings, then use Carli UCA, Carli rear springs, and Carli rear end link!
I like the idea of that... thankya

Users who are viewing this thread