5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli 2.5 Performance

EGJ16

Reaction score
The wait is almost over!

2.5” lift up front and 1” rear. More details coming soon.

Now I just have to see what to do about load management in the rear to try to keep the truck level and not sag so much. Only viable option I’ve found so far are sumo springs. Air bags would work to level it out but will limit travel and probably affect ride quality. If they had some type of bag like firestones that you could pair with some day star cradles like the 2500/3500, that would be a good option as well.

Attachments

• 9DDC758C-9371-495C-880B-3116A70486D0.jpeg
    9DDC758C-9371-495C-880B-3116A70486D0.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 261

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
That’s not going to leave it level though right? What’s the rake left?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
So what did you do in the back ? Carli coil springs ? Did you keep your factory 5th gen springs ? if so can you measure their free length ? how much weight are you adding in the back and how bad is the sagging? I know my factory springs sucked in the cargo department. My truck is 450lbs heavier in the bed permanently because of mods, and i was running Icon 1.5" coil springs so i had aprox 3/4" rear lift with them and that weight, without weight i had about 1 1/4" rear lift with them.

They're 19.5" in free length, progressive rates. And they should fit the 5th gen,. Icon shows same part# for the new truck vs the part number they use in the 4th gen truck so it's the same rear coil spring. Icon part#212150.

OC.13

Reaction score
For those interested. The article via Carli website.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
So the truck in the article is the same as the OP? they say Carli rear spring is 1.25" over stock 5th gen, but the OP is asking what to do to help with weight ??? that means the Carli spring are softer than stock ?
I know Carli springs are softer than the normal springs in the 4th gen and in our case they only provided 1/2" more lift when unloaded.
It seems the 5th gen Carli springs will be an option for the 4th gen dudes since it seems we can run same rear springs.

OC.13

Reaction score
So the truck in the article is the same as the OP? they say Carli rear spring is 1.25" over stock 5th gen, but the OP is asking what to do to help with weight ??? that means the Carli spring are softer than stock ?
I know Carli springs are softer than the normal springs in the 4th gen and in our case they only provided 1/2" more lift when unloaded.
It seems the 5th gen Carli springs will be an option for the 4th gen dudes since it seems we can run same rear springs.
Yes the truck in the picture on OPs post is the one in article When I clicked on OP's link, I just got the pics. Thought link to article would be helpful. My bad if I'm being redundant with the link.
Not sure on a solution to help with the wieght.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Yes the truck in the picture on OPs post is the one in article When I clicked on OP's link, I just got the pics. Thought link to article would be helpful. My bad if I'm being redundant with the link.
Not sure on a solution to help with the wieght.
Can you post a pic from the rear of the truck showing the level of the trackbar ? I'd like to see how your stock rear TB looks like without a lifted rear.

EGJ16

Reaction score
Yeah the truck is the same. I got that photo off of their facebook or instagram (cant remember).

My question was about load leveling in the rear because if they are like the 4th gens (as far as spring rate goes) they will easily sag. And the truck will already be leveled without any weight so I would want to help keep it level under a load while also keeping full axle movement. I think my best bet is going to be sumo springs since they will act as a bump stop as well to help dampen bigger hits on the axle rather than the stock bump stop. Im going to wait to see what others do first before I pull the trigger.

Todd1500

Reaction score
Is the Carli kit even available? When I look on line, I can't find it. If so, what's the price? I have the ORP, so I'm not super pumped about 1/4 inch of lift in the back over stock. Plus 1.5 inches in front? I do use my truck off road and would like to find something that is truly designed for that, not just for looks. And to be honest, I wouldn't mind have a little rake since I'm usually loaded down for camping when I'm going offroad. Last time, my stock truck was perfectly level when loaded.

I also thought it was interesting to hear them say AT & MT tires ride better than the hybrids like the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They're arguing to go for ride quality over extended tread life.

spiG

Reaction score
Not yet, says will be available Performance by end of year and commuter by early 2021. By the pricing of the other kits I can only assume Performance will be $4k price range and commuter $2k price range.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Since you guys can run 4th gen 1500 rear coils springs you could try Clayton 2.5" rear coils, part# COR-1510251
These are springs designed for the 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I'm running them in my RAM 1500 truck because our aftermarket sucks when it comes to mods for overlanding/offroad so i'm always looking/thinking outside of the box :).

I understand Icon 1.5" springs will in theory provide .5" lift over the ORP springs per another post, if thats the case, Claytons should provide at least rear 1-1.5" lift on top of the ORP's

Clayton side by side with the Icons (Claytons are 21.5 in lenght vs 19.5" for the Icons)
2020-05-01_08-39-59 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton's lower coil opening where the coil will fit in the lower perch is literally the same as Icon, upper is a tad wider, but it fits the 4th gen RAM 1500 isolator and it also fits in the upper perch. it's a tight fit but there is zero interference with the upper seat
2020-05-01_08-38-45 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

How they fit the RAM isolator
2020-05-01_02-12-38 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Icon lower coil opening, 2.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-34 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton lower coil opening, 2.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-24 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Icon upper coil opening, 4.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-05 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton upper openning, 5"
2020-05-01_08-38-55 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton fitting the lower perch
2020-05-01_08-40-44 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton fitting the upper perch
2020-05-01_08-41-05 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Best of all, higher spring rates than factory Mopar springs (206 lbs/inc)
Claytons are progressive and have 3 rates:
  • Spring Rate 1 = 159 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 2 = 280 lbs/in (35% stiffer than my factory coils)
  • Spring Rate 3 = 360 lbs/in (75% stiffer than my factory coils)
The 1st rate is literally death coils, because of that you may experience some noise when the coils contact each other. I've been running them for a while and the noise didn't bother me much but you can see where it touches.
2020-09-05_05-44-40 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I decided to address the noise this way, you can use anything you want, black hose, aftermarket coil bound isolators etc etc, anything you can put in there will work just fine,
2020-09-05_05-44-48 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And i'm running 29" extended shocks with them, stockers were 25.5" so literally 3.5" longer shocks and i'm lifted 2" (400-450 lbs of weight permanently in the bed because of mods, it'll go 2.5 without that more likely)
2020-09-05_06-24-42 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Hope it helps.

Downytide

Reaction score
^^ do you know if the front lower mounts is similar between DT and DS? the top mount is identical between the two, but I don't have the drawings by me to check if the lower shock mounts are the same.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
^^ do you know if the front lower mounts is similar between DT and DS? the top mount is identical between the two, but I don't have the drawings by me to check if the lower shock mounts are the same.
Considering the same Icon 2.5 Coilovers for the 4th gen are advertised for the 5th gen i'll say they should be same front lower shock mounts.
But i'll let the 5th gen dudes answer that one as i'm still learning about the new truck suspension.

Downytide

Reaction score
Oh right, from what I've seen it seems the half shaft position is similar between the 2.

I assume tuning would be somewhat similar even with the 5th gen being slightly lighter.

U

User_21361

Since you guys can run 4th gen 1500 rear coils springs you could try Clayton 2.5" rear coils, part# COR-1510251
These are springs designed for the 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I'm running them in my RAM 1500 truck because our aftermarket sucks when it comes to mods for overlanding/offroad so i'm always looking/thinking outside of the box :).

I understand Icon 1.5" springs will in theory provide .5" lift over the ORP springs per another post, if thats the case, Claytons should provide at least rear 1-1.5" lift on top of the ORP's

Clayton side by side with the Icons (Claytons are 21.5 in lenght vs 19.5" for the Icons)
2020-05-01_08-39-59 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton's lower coil opening where the coil will fit in the lower perch is literally the same as Icon, upper is a tad wider, but it fits the 4th gen RAM 1500 isolator and it also fits in the upper perch. it's a tight fit but there is zero interference with the upper seat
2020-05-01_08-38-45 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

How they fit the RAM isolator
2020-05-01_02-12-38 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Icon lower coil opening, 2.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-34 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton lower coil opening, 2.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-24 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Icon upper coil opening, 4.5"
2020-05-01_08-39-05 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton upper openning, 5"
2020-05-01_08-38-55 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton fitting the lower perch
2020-05-01_08-40-44 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Clayton fitting the upper perch
2020-05-01_08-41-05 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Best of all, higher spring rates than factory Mopar springs (206 lbs/inc)
Claytons are progressive and have 3 rates:
  • Spring Rate 1 = 159 lbs/in
  • Spring Rate 2 = 280 lbs/in (35% stiffer than my factory coils)
  • Spring Rate 3 = 360 lbs/in (75% stiffer than my factory coils)
The 1st rate is literally death coils, because of that you may experience some noise when the coils contact each other. I've been running them for a while and the noise didn't bother me much but you can see where it touches.
2020-09-05_05-44-40 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I decided to address the noise this way, you can use anything you want, black hose, aftermarket coil bound isolators etc etc, anything you can put in there will work just fine,
2020-09-05_05-44-48 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And i'm running 29" extended shocks with them, stockers were 25.5" so literally 3.5" longer shocks and i'm lifted 2" (400-450 lbs of weight permanently in the bed because of mods, it'll go 2.5 without that more likely)
2020-09-05_06-24-42 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Hope it helps.

This will be a game changer if they work. I’ve been agonizing over trying to find springs for a little more lift. I may make a trip to a local shop to buy a sacrificial set and do some testing.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
This will be a game changer if they work. I’ve been agonizing over trying to find springs for a little more lift. I may make a trip to a local shop to buy a sacrificial set and do some testing.
I got them straight from Clayton as I told them what I was trying to do with their coils and my truck And they told me if they didn’t fit they would take them back no questions asked and they will also waived the restocking fee. They have a great reputation in the Jeep community. That’s why I’m also running their Gladiator rear control arms. pure freaking beef and the arms fit like a glove cause FCA shared our 4th gen rear arms and panhard with the Gladiator platform. You can imagine the aftermarket we just inherited :)

U

User_21361

I got them straight from Clayton as I told them what I was trying to do with their coils and my truck And they told me if they didn’t fit they would take them back no questions asked and they will also waived the restocking fee. They have a great reputation in the Jeep community. That’s why I’m also running their Gladiator rear control arms. pure freaking beef and the arms fit like a glove cause FCA shared our 4th gen rear arms and panhard with the Gladiator platform. You can imagine the aftermarket we just inherited :)

Based on prelim measurements they seem very close in geometry to the ORP springs but an inch or so longer. I just placed an order and will test them out.

What kind of tape did you use to stop the coil noise? My wife will murder me if I make my truck louder haha

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Based on prelim measurements they seem very close in geometry to the ORP springs but an inch or so longer. I just placed an order and will test them out.

What kind of tape did you use to stop the coil noise? My wife will murder me if I make my truck louder haha
It's not tape. Its vinyl tube from Lowes. Old trick i used before to calm progressive springs in my BMW and Stangs :)
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

I used a razor to prep them :), and they'll literally spin in inside the coil, (just lift the rear, let the axel droop enough for the coils to open, then just slide them in)
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

You could do the same with fuel line black hose. I may change the color later on. I just had a bunch of the clear ones laying around back when i had the Icon springs and last week i was switching my rear King shocks for longer King shocks :) so i took the opportunity to do a quick test to make sure the noise was 100% gone. works like a charm every single time and they last a really good bit plus it's super cheap.

Have fun.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score

Did you get those Clayton's yet?
Also do you have a picture showing your rear trackbar angle with your factory ORP springs?

Users who are viewing this thread