5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo Bed Lamp Accessory

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It's safe to say I won't add this to my truck like I planned on. Never really used it on my F150 so I've got no need to go thru all that hassle!

RBRK

Reaction score
I stuck a nice led light on the cover where these lights go. It’s plenty bright and for the few times I might need it I think it’s fine. I can handle reaching in and turning it on and off manually.

Once again, it’s hard to believe they did nt wire the trucks for these or include them as standard equipment.

I turned the factory ones on when the trucks first started showing up at the dealers. Looked like they had 3led’s in them. I haven’t seen them in the dark but I thought they wouldn’t be very bright from what I can see.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an idea for anyone new to tackling light in the bed of a truck. This is what I did to my boat last year and will be doing to my truck now that I’ve learned about the ludicrous process to install factory lighting.

Top pic is lights on in the garage, bottom, lights off in the garage. Just stick on LEDs tape strip from amazon. I used roughly 12’ on the boat so the truck will be very similar.

9F9721A8-74FF-424D-BAED-286996EEBF8B.jpeg

kjk05006

Reaction score
Just an idea for anyone new to tackling light in the bed of a truck. This is what I did to my boat last year and will be doing to my truck now that I’ve learned about the ludicrous process to install factory lighting.

Top pic is lights on in the garage, bottom, lights off in the garage. Just stick on LEDs tape strip from amazon. I used roughly 12’ on the boat so the truck will be very similar.

View attachment 4483

How did you wire this?

jamesfg

Reaction score
How did you wire this?

This is exactly what I was thinking for ours with a weather proof toggle or rocker switch on that plastic cover at the rear of the bed by the tail gate. Wiring, that's easy, use a add a fuse to get your power source from the fuse box under the dash, run your power wire under the carpet and exit by the rear passenger seat (there is a hole there, I've already had my seat out) run a grommet, wire loom the exposed wire and then run the wire to the switch and then from the switch to the LED strip. Ground the switch and the strip and your done. Even if you leave the light on a LED draws so little power (you can power one up with a 9 volt battery) you wouldn't have to worry about draining your battery.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Oh if you do go this route, go get some 3M heavy duty two sided tape and put that over the existing backing on the LED strip. Make sure you clean the underside of the bed with alcohol prior to installing. I've used LED strips on a bunch of installs and the sticky backing that comes with them doesn't hold up after any amount of time.

Flot

Reaction score
I'm waiting to find out if someone manages to hook them up simply and easily to a 12v source (trailer hitch?) so that they can just be turned off and on by the switch on one light.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Flot

Reaction score
This is about the easiest setup I’ve seen and works when the cargo light is on. I might actually tackle this today....got some more “chores” to accomplish first.

I've thought about the same, although wouldn't mind the factory lights due to fit. The plastic covers on the back bother me, although having not seen them in person, I might not be a fan of the factory lights either.

Be warned that the high density LED strips can draw a decent amount of power, I'd sanity check total amp draw before tapping into an existing wire. Or maybe replace the existing lights with LED to offset the new draw.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've thought about the same, although wouldn't mind the factory lights due to fit. The plastic covers on the back bother me, although having not seen them in person, I might not be a fan of the factory lights either.

Be warned that the high density LED strips can draw a decent amount of power, I'd sanity check total amp draw before tapping into an existing wire. Or maybe replace the existing lights with LED to offset the new draw.

Thanks. Yep, I’ve been running these strips on my boat for a year. With electronics and bigger screens, I always keep an eye on draw. They seem to be pretty good.

Lbdyll

Reaction score

Yeah when installed my led strips, the truck did not like them being hooked up to the stock cargo light wiring. Kept turning the light off as soon as I hooked them up to it. So I ended up installing a relay with the stock cargo light wire as the trigger, just ran a wire straight to the battery.

Pshep

Reaction score
Guys, I ordered too many cargo light LED bulbs for my truck. I have a set if anyone wants them. I’m located near Macomb Michigan if you’d like to come get them. Send me a message. First come first serve

Users who are viewing this thread