5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cargo Bed Divider

Richard2019

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 limited RAM 1500. It is my first RAM truck. I have been searching for a cargo bed divider but I am having a heck of hard time finding something. The so call 'best' one is the one from MOPAR bed divider that reviews are not that great. I need to travel in a few weeks and have luggage that needs to be secure. Any recommendations? What do guys use? Please advise.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 limited RAM 1500. It is my first RAM truck. I have been searching for a cargo bed divider but I am having a heck of hard time finding something. The so call 'best' one is the one from MOPAR bed divider that reviews are not that great. I need to travel in a few weeks and have luggage that needs to be secure. Any recommendations? What do guys use? Please advise.

Do you have ram boxes? If so the mopar bed divider/extender is awesome. Otherwise I use the bar below. Gets the job done. Moved easily. Has netting for groceries. Inexpensive.

Keeper 05060 Ratcheting Cargo Bar... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I2SWXC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Richard2019

Reaction score
Hi Patsy1099, thank you for your reply. No, my RAM does not have RAM boxes. So, other than the bars, there are no other dividers similar to the MOPAR Bed Divider that can be just attached or hooked to the existing bars (or whatever you call it) on the truck? I have a lot of luggage to travel with do you think the bars will do the trick?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hi Patsy1099, thank you for your reply. No, my RAM does not have RAM boxes. So, other than the bars, there are no other dividers similar to the MOPAR Bed Divider that can be just attached or hooked to the existing bars (or whatever you call it) on the truck? I have a lot of luggage to travel with do you think the bars will do the trick?

You can use the bars - but - they will have to go up on the LIP of the bed - rather then the wall (which works with RamBoxes, because the bed has an inner wall).

I have the Mopar one (which is actually OEM's by Roll-N-Lock, but you can't get it from them). It's not bad at all. I had to modify mine to get it to fit with the brackets on my MultiFunction Tailgate - but it works as expected.

Rick

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

There are probably different dividers you can choose from but they all serve the same general purpose. You don’t really need the divider to go from the bottom of the bed to the top, unless you cargo was so loose that it would be spilling over. Even if that were the case I would probably opt for a large cargo net to anchor over the top of the cargo (if you’re not using a tonneau cover) or ratcheting tie downs. The ratcheting bar is very secure and you tension it between the bed. Easily movable so you can divide and size your bed to suit your needs. You can even get two of them if you want to divide into thirds. Your luggage won’t be going anywhere. Another very helpful addition is a rubber bed mat that makes the bed easier to kneel in, protects it AND will prevent most anything from sliding around. I will post a link to the one I use below. It is longer than needed for my 5.7 short bed so I just cut it to fit (I use the extra piece as a work mat). Mopar makes one as well but it’s more money. I highly recommend getting one of these to complement your bar(s). It really smells like rubber for a bit though.

Dee Zee DZ85005 Universal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU8YO8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Richard2019

Reaction score
There are probably different dividers you can choose from but they all serve the same general purpose. You don’t really need the divider to go from the bottom of the bed to the top, unless you cargo was so loose that it would be spilling over. Even if that were the case I would probably opt for a large cargo net to anchor over the top of the cargo (if you’re not using a tonneau cover) or ratcheting tie downs. The ratcheting bar is very secure and you tension it between the bed. Easily movable so you can divide and size your bed to suit your needs. You can even get two of them if you want to divide into thirds. Your luggage won’t be going anywhere. Another very helpful addition is a rubber bed mat that makes the bed easier to kneel in, protects it AND will prevent most anything from sliding around. I will post a link to the one I use below. It is longer than needed for my 5.7 short bed so I just cut it to fit (I use the extra piece as a work mat). Mopar makes one as well but it’s more money. I highly recommend getting one of these to complement your bar(s). It really smells like rubber for a bit though.

Dee Zee DZ85005 Universal... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VU8YO8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
[/QUOTE

Thank You again for your help and feedback. Much appreciated.

Keough18

Reaction score
You can use the bars - but - they will have to go up on the LIP of the bed - rather then the wall (which works with RamBoxes, because the bed has an inner wall).

I have the Mopar one (which is actually OEM's by Roll-N-Lock, but you can't get it from them). It's not bad at all. I had to modify mine to get it to fit with the brackets on my MultiFunction Tailgate - but it works as expected.

Rick
Rick,

What modification did you have to do to get the OEM divider to work with the Multifunction Tailgate? I'm pick up my new truck this week and I am trying to find the best divider possible.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I cut 18" OFF the bars - because they hit both the corner brackets, and the clamp for my bed cover. Brought it to a machinist friends shop - used an industrial bandsaw to cut it.

If you have RAMBOXES - this divider will not work - you have to use the other one, that slides into the "grooves" on the bed-wall.

Rick

RickWaz

Reaction score

Keough18

Reaction score
I cut 18" OFF the bars - because they hit both the corner brackets, and the clamp for my bed cover. Brought it to a machinist friends shop - used an industrial bandsaw to cut it.

If you have RAMBOXES - this divider will not work - you have to use the other one, that slides into the "grooves" on the bed-wall.

Rick
Rick,

Thanks, I would have gotten the Ram Boxes but I'm brought the truck off the lot so had to take what they had. Just to make sure you cut off 18'' off the front of the support bars (closest end to the cab) then used the hardware provided to secure the rails using the middle and last bracket (closet to the tail gate)? Any problems getting the divider in after the rails went on? I just need the divider to stop about 33 inches from the tail gate. Thanks for your replies.

James

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Rick,

Thanks, I would have gotten the Ram Boxes but I'm brought the truck off the lot so had to take what they had. Just to make sure you cut off 18'' off the front of the support bars (closest end to the cab) then used the hardware provided to secure the rails using the middle and last bracket (closet to the tail gate)? Any problems getting the divider in after the rails went on? I just need the divider to stop about 33 inches from the tail gate. Thanks for your replies.

James

The bars (sadly) slide around a little - as they were meant to go end-to-end in the bed. Could probably put some washers in to get it tighter onto the rails - but I didn't bother.

The cut-down bars give me the flexibility I was looking for in the bed. I can get the divider about a "case of water" close to the tailgate (LOL), or shove it all the way forward - or just REMOVE IT when I fill the bed up with stuff (like on road trips)...

Rick

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Would a 2x8 work?
Sure, just going to be a bit higher up but shouldn't be a problem getting into position. I just find the 2x6 the right size for me to be able to move into or out of position with the bed cover still in place.

Users who are viewing this thread