5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car Thieves key fob hack

SRRouse

Reaction score
The key fob is one of my favorite features of my new truck, but it also appears to be a security risk.
I am not certain that Rams are susceptible to the attack, but I suspect they are.
The way the attack works, the thieves don't even need the key. They can steal the signal from a key inside a home and use it to open the vehicle and take it.
"It's made to be convenient, and the technology is amazing. It's also quite accessible for criminals to find a way to get in through this device that they use,"

Here's how it works:
The attackers grab the radio signal being transmitted by a key fob nearby
using a receiver. The receiver amplifies and relays the signal to a second device,
which, when held in close proximity to the target vehicle,
allows the thief to unlock it and in some cases even start the engine.

Source:
Car thieves using technology to hack key fobs, steal vehicles

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The key fob is one of my favorite features of my new truck, but it also appears to be a security risk.
I am not certain that Rams are susceptible to the attack, but I suspect they are.
The way the attack works, the thieves don't even need the key. They can steal the signal from a key inside a home and use it to open the vehicle and take it.
"It's made to be convenient, and the technology is amazing. It's also quite accessible for criminals to find a way to get in through this device that they use,"

Here's how it works:
The attackers grab the radio signal being transmitted by a key fob nearby
using a receiver. The receiver amplifies and relays the signal to a second device,
which, when held in close proximity to the target vehicle,
allows the thief to unlock it and in some cases even start the engine.

Source:
Car thieves using technology to hack key fobs, steal vehicles

They can do this with garage door openers, remote starters, heck, even your tv remote! Judging by the lack of people prank changing channel's on everyone's tv's, it's probably a low risk situation, even though there is some risk.

DM-SC

Reaction score
Baloney. Modern key fobs use rolling codes. Make sure your garage door opener does too.
Not baloney. It really happens. Rare, but it's real.

The rolling codes won't matter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

grinch72

Reaction score
Rare but possible. You need to leave the key somewhere in the house where the thieves can get close enough to detect the low energy signal, say hanging against an outside wall or right next to the front door. I hang my keys in the center of my house making this impossible.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I bough a steering wheel club with a matching color for my truck on day one and always leave keys in the metal container inside the house, no signal gets through from key fob. Small investment for my mind since truck is paid off and my property.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Open the truck - possible
Start the truck -possible
Move the truck - possible but after 1000 feet, truck will get upset not finding the fob

Reactions: BTK

SRRouse

Reaction score
Engineer here - this is correct; @grinch72 has a good solution however if you're paranoid about this hack (it's happening with teslas, obvious targets) - place your key fob in a 'faraday cage' type of box or pouch, easily available on ebay etc

I tested a poor man's Faraday shield last night: Dropped by fob in a metal loaf pan, covered it with a sheet of foil and walked up to my truck. Door wouldn't unlock.
If I'm in paranoid mood, I'll use something similar.

silverbullet

Reaction score
Engineer here - this is correct; @grinch72 has a good solution however if you're paranoid about this hack (it's happening with teslas, obvious targets) - place your key fob in a 'faraday cage' type of box or pouch, easily available on ebay etc
A bag of chips works well enough from testing I've seen or you could just borrow a piece off the foil hat if you're willing to let THEM in....Seriously though...I'm glad I live in the sticks...coyotes keep eating our cats but nobody will mess with my truck, haha.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I tested a poor man's Faraday shield last night: Dropped by fob in a metal loaf pan, covered it with a sheet of foil and walked up to my truck. Door wouldn't unlock.
If I'm in paranoid mood, I'll use something similar.
My two dogs permanently donated their metal food bowl for this purpose.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Nope. Not true. Start your truck and throw the fob out the window. You can drive as long as you want, just dont turn off the truck!
this is what sucks. my Mazda CX-7 would kill the engine if it cant detect Keyfob

Vic

Reaction score
I remember riding my harley to the gas station once and after filling the tank realizing that I left the key fob at home. Had to call my wife and ask her to bring me the fob so I could start up and get back on the road.
:confused:

DM-SC

Reaction score
Open the truck - possible
Start the truck -possible
Move the truck - possible but after 1000 feet, truck will get upset not finding the fob
The device mentioned in the article mimics the fob.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you guys have insurance rt? stealing car is the easiest option out there... i dont loose my sleep over it

This is more or less me too. And I'm at the end of a dead end street, but way up high so my neighbors can all see anyone messing with my house. And I have security cameras and if that's not persuasive enough, well we can always resort to firepower :)

djwdjw

Reaction score
Can I leave my fob at home inside my foil hat and just use the app when I am out and about?

klail

Reaction score
Nope. Not true. Start your truck and throw the fob out the window. You can drive as long as you want, just dont turn off the truck!
You are correct. As long as you keep the truck running and don't manually turn it off, it will run indefinitely while displaying a warning about not detecting the key.

Users who are viewing this thread