5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Car and Driver Names Ram 1500, TRX, & Heavy Duty To It’s Editor’s Choice Awards For 2022!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Car and Driver Names Ram 1500, TRX, & Heavy Duty To It’s Editor’s Choice Awards For 2022!​

Trio Of Pickups Make List Once Again...​

1643819409598.png

The 2022 Ram 1500, Ram 1500 TRX, and Ram 2500/3500 Heavy Duty have been selected by the editors of Car and Driver magazine as their annual “Editors’ Choice” picks for 2022. “Car and Driver test more cars – more thoroughly – than anyone on the planet,” says Hearst Autos Chief Brand Officer Eddie Alterman. “Our Editors’ Choice lineup represents a wide spectrum of great cars that we editors would love to park in our garages if we only had the room!”

kliffy77

Reaction score
I still think Ram has the best truck offerings in the market but the gap is narrowing by Ford.

n8zcc

Reaction score
the gap is narrowing by Ford.
Curious to know what makes you say that.

Nobody comes close, not even within reach, to RAM's interior aesthetics and quality, nobody. While this may be subjective I just got done looking at GM and Ford's offerings before once again deciding on another RAM.

kliffy77

Reaction score
Curious to know what makes you say that.

Nobody comes close, not even within reach, to RAM's interior aesthetics and quality, nobody. While this may be subjective I just got done looking at GM and Ford's offerings before once again deciding on another RAM.
I’m a loyal Ram customer currently on my 3rd Ram Truck and I’m satisfied that said the 5.7 HEMI is ok but it’s showing its age i would love a 6.4 HEMI option or a bump in HP & Torque, A front locker would be nice I can’t get that on my Rebel or my TRX the wow factor of the interior is fading away as Ford & GM both upgraded their trucks i would say to Ram’s level of quality, I tried the new F150 12 inch Horizontal display and i was shocked how more useful it is than my 12 inch Vertical display i know my Truck is 2021 model and 2022 comes with upgraded unconnect 5 which is good but what i mean is other truck manufacturers are offering more powertrain options than Ram and even interior quality & comfort wise now they are all on the same level give or take.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I’m a loyal Ram customer currently on my 3rd Ram Truck and I’m satisfied that said the 5.7 HEMI is ok but it’s showing its age i would love a 6.4 HEMI option or a bump in HP & Torque, A front locker would be nice I can’t get that on my Rebel or my TRX the wow factor of the interior is fading away as Ford & GM both upgraded their trucks i would say to Ram’s level of quality, I tried the new F150 12 inch Horizontal display and i was shocked how more useful it is than my 12 inch Vertical display i know my Truck is 2021 model and 2022 comes with upgraded unconnect 5 which is good but what i mean is other truck manufacturers are offering more powertrain options than Ram and even interior quality & comfort wise now they are all on the same level give or take.
I'm not brand loyal, during my career I worked for both Ford and GM but never Chrysler. In 2013 I bought my first RAM, a 1500 Laramie. When it came time to buy a tow vehicle for 5th wheel RV and a 16-foot dump trailer, I ended up with a RAM 3500 Longhorn Cummins. Recently, I decided to replace the 2013 Laramie with a 2022 Longhorn 1500 which I now have.

I look back at asked myself why, it came down to the interior, that is what initially caused me to move from GM to RAM. In 2015, the issues Ford and GM were having with their diesel's was more than enough to steer me to RAM with the legionary reliability of the Cummins, and the 2015 has not disappointed. Again, the RAM's interior and the higher quality of seating in the Longhorn (Limited trim also) attracted me.

More recently, I looked at the Ford, the GM, and the RAM. The RAM won the interior hands down. I realize this is subjective but GM is so dated, so black, such low-quality touchpoints, and this was on a Denali. I really wanted the I6 Duramax but I couldn't deal with the interior and the vehicle I test drove had an annoying drone to it. I don't know if that is common with the I6 Duramax. The Ford's interior just wasn't me, it felt cold and squared off.

It is the Longhorn interior I like, the color, contrast, warmth, and comfort are what attracted me. In comparison, and not to offend anyone, the Limited just isn't me. I didn't like the color choices nor do I care for the carbon fiber look, again, 100% subjective. If RAM didn't offer the Longhorn trim I'm not sure what I would be driving.

I'm older and not interested in "get up and go" powertrains. Back in the day, 1968 high school, that is when Hemis ruled the streets. I think RAM has done well in offering choices that cover most interests. It does bother me having to pay a higher cost for the RAM over my employee cost for GM or Ford :( But after the sale, it is forgotten and every time I climb into my 2022 Longhorn, I smile.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram is THE truck for people who do a decent amount of "truck stuff" but also want it as a daily driver.

Look at it this way; say you wanted to use your truck almost exclusively for work (like you're a small town general contractor for example). You could go with a high-payload, heavy-duty shock-having Silverado, or perhaps an F-150 with a stronger powertrain, and they would be somewhat more effective and efficient for your work. However, the average Ram can still do it, at least nearly as well.

On the flip side, if you use your truck for very little work (or none at all and you just want a truck because you like them and this a free country), there's no practical reason at all to consider anything else but a Ram. No one in their right mind would buy a 6.2 Sierra or a 3.5 Powerboost F-150 to do absolutely no towing or hauling whatsoever. But my 5.7 Ram drives like a luxury SUV. So I think if you're even a third of the way over to the daily driver side of the spectrum, Ram is the way to go.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a Ram truck owner for over 30 years, it is nice to see them getting recognized for there efforts. This truck is so far ahead from Ford and GM that I can’t believe people still buy so many. I was recently in a new Ford and couldn’t believe that the interior plastics reminded me of a 2007 caliber.

Users who are viewing this thread