5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Car And Driver" long-term review, write-up

tonyplants

Reaction score

papac0rn

Reaction score
Good write up. No mention of a rear cracked slider window frame surprises me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thats pretty cool. One of you is in Kalamazoo and other one in Indiana. I live in the northeast corner of Indiana between South Bend and Fort Wayne. :) Can't wait to read this. . . .

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SIAP but didn't see it. It's a bit of a long read, moving backwards in time from the latest 30,000 mile write-up to 20,000 mile, 10,000 mile, Introduction, and various other sections of interest. I thoroughly enjoyed it...maybe you will, too.

Our Ram 1500 Shines as a Luxurious, Go-Anywhere Snow Machine
Looks like they've had much worse luck with their 12" UConnect than me...I'm feeling relieved about that!

Gotta love this quote..."a cross between an S-class and a Freightliner". :)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im glad I did not buy the 12" screen version of my truck I have had no issues with the 8.4 nav unit
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading it. I didn't get the 12" because I didn't like it. I felt like it was way too big and looked goofy, and I didn't like the fact that it replaced some of the knobs and buttons that I saw on the smaller screen models. It looks like it was a fortuitous decision after all :)

RiskReward

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading it. I didn't get the 12" because I didn't like it. I felt like it was way too big and looked goofy, and I didn't like the fact that it replaced some of the knobs and buttons that I saw on the smaller screen models. It looks like it was a fortuitous decision after all :)

I just think the lack of Ram Health for the “premium option” is asinine.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have enjoyed the updates to this long term review. I reached out to the author a little while back to see if FCA ever reached out to him to address the 12" issues that they have been writing about. He said FCA had not but that he would try to get some response in the future updates. So, I'm particularly interested in more of their updates because I have the same issues they have found.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I also have enjoyed the updates to this long term review. I reached out to the author a little while back to see if FCA ever reached out to him to address the 12" issues that they have been writing about. He said FCA had not but that he would try to get some response in the future updates. So, I'm particularly interested in more of their updates because I have the same issues they have found.
Please keep us posted on what you learn. Thanks.

Reactions: Jtr

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good writeup, gives owners confidence that it is a good vehicle (despite the U-Connect issues). All the problems that are posted in this forum aside, I'm quite pleased with mine.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh, nice! Princeton has the big Toyota plan where they make Tundras, Sequoias, and Highlanders. I live about 15 miles due south of there.
Yep, that's been there awhile. My grandparents had built their house (803 N Main St back in 1890.) All of the framing was oak, as the poor unfortunate remodeler found out when he was trying to work on it in the early1980's for handicap accessibility. He sure cursed that place!

Last edited by a moderator:

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Yep, that's been there awhile. My grandparents had built their house on (801 S) Main St back in the 1920's. All of the framing was oak, as the poor unfortunate remodeler found out when he was trying to work on it in the early1980's for handicap accessibility. He sure cursed that place!
Oak...good for the homeowner, bad for the remodeler, lol. I think the Toyota plant opened in May-1996. I didn't live in this area at the time, only since 2003. But I sure know a LOT of people who work there now.

timtlu

Reaction score
The 12.0-inch Uconnect system continues to be plagued by general sluggishness, occasional reboots, and—this one is new for us—a backup-camera display that refuses to disappear long after you've pulled away in Drive.

If anyone is having this issue, I can speak to it's cause and fix. I can reliably cause this to happen by putting the truck into gear too quickly after starting. Where I work, my habit is to jump in, push start, immediately back out, shift to drive, and then fasten seatbelt, as it is usually an empty makeshift parking lot a ways from the street. Noticed on days I'm in a hurry to leave, the same sticking back-up camera would occur. Tested it out and it only occurs when shifting into reverse before the UConnect load screen starts to initialize. If I wait just 2 seconds after push start, it never has once occurred.

If this does happen to you, there is a simple fix. Pull up your backup camera through the icon on the center display, then close it using the "x" in the top corner. The screen instantly reverts to normal operation.

tdager

Reaction score
Great write-up, and I am lucky to have had absolutely zero issues with my 12" screen to-date!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 12.0-inch Uconnect system continues to be plagued by general sluggishness, occasional reboots, and—this one is new for us—a backup-camera display that refuses to disappear long after you've pulled away in Drive.

If anyone is having this issue, I can speak to it's cause and fix. I can reliably cause this to happen by putting the truck into gear too quickly after starting. Where I work, my habit is to jump in, push start, immediately back out, shift to drive, and then fasten seatbelt, as it is usually an empty makeshift parking lot a ways from the street. Noticed on days I'm in a hurry to leave, the same sticking back-up camera would occur. Tested it out and it only occurs when shifting into reverse before the UConnect load screen starts to initialize. If I wait just 2 seconds after push start, it never has once occurred.

If this does happen to you, there is a simple fix. Pull up your backup camera through the icon on the center display, then close it using the "x" in the top corner. The screen instantly reverts to normal operation.
I had this once, and I think I caused it the same way. Jumped in the truck, turned it on, and put it in reverse really quickly. I think to fix it I just pressed the home button in the top left and it reverted back to the home split screen.

Users who are viewing this thread