5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caps

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone running off road caps? Please give me your feedback. I'm thinking I'm gonna run this one but I could have my mind changed.
smartcap.jpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Anyone running off road caps? Please give me your feedback. I'm thinking I'm gonna run this one but I could have my mind changed.
View attachment 145469
stupid question
why get a truck and then put a shell on it?
why not not just get a suv?

by the way I know the answer
I am asking for the readers who have not registered and are looking to get a pickup

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks good, but over $4000! Made out of metal with 330 capacity dynamic and 770 lbs static is impressive. Those companies from Australia and South Africa make cool off-road equipment.

Currently not out yet for the DT shortbed, but stated coming soon, at least for the Sport Model shown.

EDIT - Product is out, just backordered.

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Not out for the DT shortbed? There’s a TRX I see at work almost every day and I could’ve sworn it has that exact cap on it. I’ve seen it on Fords too. I mean there’s no denying it’s “rugged and cool” but I gotta say I think it’s kinda ugly. It doesn’t flow with the body lines well, it just looks awkward in person imho.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not out for the DT shortbed? There’s a TRX I see at work almost every day and I could’ve sworn it has that exact cap on it. I’ve seen it on Fords too. I mean there’s no denying it’s “rugged and cool” but I gotta say I think it’s kinda ugly. It doesn’t flow with the body lines well, it just looks awkward in person imho.

My bad, I double checked on their website, it shows them as backordered, I missed it earlier because I saw "Coming Soon" next to the product for the DT RAM and assumed they are just coming online.

Sportznut

Reaction score
stupid question

I am asking for the readers who have not registered and are looking to get a pickup
Why so rude? Not everybody thinks the same. A pickup with a shell could have several advantages.

1. Noise - I used to haul a bunch of metal samples for work. The rattling in the back of my SUV drove me nuts. Hence, I bought a pickup truck so I did not hear the rattling anymore.

2. Cleanliness - cleaning out the bed of a pickup with a hose is a lot simpler than an SUV if you're hauling around dogs with wet hair.

3. Camping- seems a little easier in a pickup truck with a cap, especially with a flat floor in the cab. A shorter person can sleep pretty comfortable behind the driver with a camping mat or air mattress.

Don't always think you're the smartest guy in the room.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Why so rude? Not everybody thinks the same. A pickup with a shell could have several advantages.

1. Noise - I used to haul a bunch of metal samples for work. The rattling in the back of my SUV drove me nuts. Hence, I bought a pickup truck so I did not hear the rattling anymore.

2. Cleanliness - cleaning out the bed of a pickup with a hose is a lot simpler than an SUV if you're hauling around dogs with wet hair.

3. Camping- seems a little easier in a pickup truck with a cap, especially with a flat floor in the cab. A shorter person can sleep pretty comfortable behind the driver with a camping mat or air mattress.

Don't always think you're the smartest guy in the room.

DID YOU READ THIS PART?????>

some of you are no fun!!!!

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DID YOU READ THIS PART?????

Yes, I read that part, but thought I would answer for those that may not have known or were questioning it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Lol, you almost got me, I wrote a full paragraph and then I saw you snuck that sentence on the bottom, I was quick to edit my response :)

Sportznut

Reaction score

Yes I did but still thought it was rude.
I guess I could say I answered for the readers who have not registered and are looking to get a pickup as well. Maybe they hadn't thought of some of the advantages.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Wow. A discussion about truck caps turns into a sword fight.

stancedeuros

Reaction score
I run a softopper personally. I had one on my built gladiator as well. I need the top personally for daily things like hauling kids sports bags, my 130 pound Newfoundland poodle, and golf clubs/guns. The beauty of the softopper is within 30 seconds, I can have my full truck bed back for hauling vertical loads if needed. I've run fiberglass shells in the past, but once I went softopper, it's hard to justify anything else.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
stupid question

You may as well give people who buy pickups and put tonneau covers on crap too. Or people who want a v8 and not a v4\v6 suv. Very few manufacturers even offer an SUV with a v8.
Be better making a list of why you should get a truck and not an SUV.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You may as well give people who buy pickups and put tonneau covers on crap too. Or people who want a v8 and not a v4\v6 suv. Very few manufacturers even offer an SUV with a v8.
Be better making a list of why you should get a truck and not an SUV.
again like other you over looked this part

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
again like other you over looked this part
Still doesn't make sense.
People aren't coming to a 5thgenrams.com to find a reason to NOT get a ram.

Users who are viewing this thread