5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capless Gas Inlets?

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Do all 2019 5th Gen RAM 1500's (gas engines) come with the Spring Loaded Fuel Inlet Flaps only, instead of the screw on gas caps?

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Yes..
I ask because there are some on eBay selling Gas Caps for the 5th Generation (GAS) Ram 1500's. They claim the Spring Loaded Fuel Flaps are special order. I was wanting absolute confirmation before I reported them to eBay for FRAUD.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do all 2019 5th Gen RAM 1500's (gas engines) come with the Spring Loaded Fuel Inlet Flaps only, instead of the screw on gas caps?
It used to be just the diesels were capless. Now it's all 1500's. Be aware that there are differences between the diesel and gas capless fillers. Make sure you are buying the correct one if you decide to get one.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ask because there are some on eBay selling Gas Caps for the 5th Generation (GAS) Ram 1500's. They claim the Spring Loaded Fuel Flaps are special order. I was wanting absolute confirmation before I reported them to eBay for FRAUD.
These are the only ones that I'm aware that work on our trucks. I know because I have one.

Shel-loc Instructions.png
Cap_Installed.png

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I HAD one from Genos. I’ve had it since the day they started selling them and today I managed to leave it on the gas pump.

And yes, when I returned it was gone and I’m certain the young man working there has an old Brooks & Dunn song playing on his headphones:

It's kinda like a lost and found
In a border town
Askin' bout a diamond ring
They just look at you
Like you've lost your mind
Say they haven't seen a thing

Now they are $75 including shipping...and Geno’s does not do discounts so I’m SOOL. If you buy one, remember to grab the damned thing before you pull out of the station.

U

User_3336

I'm not paying $60 for one. Ford made a locking 'plug' for theirs which was about $19.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
At first I didn't understand why people were buying locking gas caps because I assumed the fuel tank door locked with the door locks. Every car I've ever had with a push to open fuel for locked with the car doors. I was surprised to learn the other day, that's not the case with the Rams. That seems like such a simple thing to do. Why would they not have the fuel door lock with the doors?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At first I didn't understand why people were buying locking gas caps because I assumed the fuel tank door locked with the door locks. Every car I've ever had with a push to open fuel for locked with the car doors. I was surprised to learn the other day, that's not the case with the Rams. That seems like such a simple thing to do. Why would they not have the fuel door lock with the doors?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
FWIW, my wife's 2020 traverse with the push to open fuel door and capless filler does not lock with the door locks either. So it's not just a Ram thing

U

User_3336

F150's Silverado's and Sierra's all now have the capless filler neck. None of them lock the actual door.
Not sure about the Titan

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it work for a 2019/2020 Ram or are you just trying to drum up business for Ford? I’ll order one of those versus paying the outrageous price Geno’s wants for them now...my first one I get when they first came out for $39 so was reasonable back then.

U

User_3336

Does it work for a 2019/2020 Ram or are you just trying to drum up business for Ford? I’ll order one of those versus paying the outrageous price Geno’s wants for them now...my first one I get when they first came out for $39 so was reasonable back then.
No, I'm not trying to "drum" up for business for f**king FORD! Gees. My point was that if FORD could engineer one for $19, the one from another vendor/manufacturer should be equally as affordable (not $60).
The filler cap on a Ford and RAM are totally different, why would you think it would work interchangeably?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, am on my third beer watching the game. You’re the one who mentioned the Ford cap and assumed your were making a point it was interchangeable.

And just so you are aware, FCA’s Italian Fiat engineers did develop a cap but it hasn’t been selling well. They decided to outsource it to Amazon!

U

User_3336

Hey, am on my third beer watching the game. You’re the one who mentioned the Ford cap and assumed your were making a point it was interchangeable.

And just so you are aware, FCA’s Italian Fiat engineers did develop a cap but it hasn’t been selling well. They decided to outsource it to Amazon!

First, Never ASSume! LOL (my mention of the cap was a cost comparison, not interchangeability)
And you should NOT have a 4th. HAHA

Rupp

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Yes..
Why unfortunately? I love this option as there's nothing to lose, leave loose, etc. Plus when was the last time you heard of gas being stolen? I've not heard about this happening in the last 10 years. I guess it happens but not in our area. Too many of us carry persuasion.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, the purpose is not to prevent stolen gasoline or to keep dust out but to prevent the teens in this area from screwing with my tank. It’s happened before thanks to three teens with too much time on their hands. They hit fourteen cars in my neighborhood...hose bibs are by the driveway on side of garage...took water hose, stuck it in the tank and turned on the water. Seen on surveillance video but never caught. Paranoia will destroy ya but a $75 locking gas caught buys me a full night of sleep. And yes, am ordering another one to replace the one I lost.

Users who are viewing this thread